1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 22, 2017.

1. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lingenfelter oil catch can, not sure how well it works, do not know if filter is washable and do not know how long it lasts. Thought I would throw this in here in the event we have some ballers that are willing to throw down 200$ on this thing. I also think it is a rebranded item that someone else makes.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.47.21 PM.png

#141 danlatu, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking if I put one in, to put it as close to the source as possible. I'm under there with the panel removed every six months, for oil change, so no big deal to check.

My thought would be to cut that U-shaped hose (that goes from pcv to intake manifold) around the middle, put in one of those splice spiggots (3/8" dia?) pull off and rotate the section of the hose on the pcv valve side 180 degrees, push a short section of new hose onto the pcv outlet, and connect both hose ends to OCC, say within a foot of the pcv valve, towards the driver's side.

Just figure out something to zip tie it to. Hopefully there's room, I suspect there is.

3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's an interesting idea. How would you get to remove the canister to empty it?

Pixel XL ?

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At each (6 monthly) oil change. I'm under there, with the panel off, regular as clockwork. More fun than Christmas, lol.

Didn't someone (@danlatu ?) say when he's checked that glass one it was just a few tablespoons accumulation? I'm wondering about those miles of (uphill) tubing too, though I guess it doesn't really matter: the oil gets stopped either in the OCC or the hoses.

5. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amount of blow-by all depends on the engine's condition and climates. You'll want to experiment.

Pixel XL ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't have to remove the canister depending on what kind of catch can you install. You can also modify your oil catch can to have a drain cock. Yes, drain cock. You can install a drain cock near your oil filter and drain it when changing your oil. Get creative and have fun with it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 6.33.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 6.32.57 PM.png

SFO, Mendel Leisk, RMB and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The typical OCC opens by unscrewing the bottom from the top? That should be easy from below at oil change time. And you have a drain pan right there.

mjoo likes this.
  8. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Found it. ProVent 200 crankcase filtration. Oil can be returned to the oil pan without having to dump the system. Oil pan will have to be removed, drilled and tapped.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That bolted panel the pcv valve screws into seems to do that, though maybe not that well. It looks like the crankcase gasses go through some baffles, and there's a drainback.

mjoo likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking: disconnect the current hose at PCV valve, attach a short (say under 2') coil of reinforced clear tubing (3/8" ID) having SS wool mesh along it's length. Reconnect to the current hose with a hose barb splicer. Rely on the hanging-down loop and the mesh, to trap and accumulate airborne oil. Maybe sub a fuel filter for the hose barb splicer.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might try it without the SS wool mesh first. I'm a little reluctant to have metal shaving that close to the intake, without adding some sort of final filter.

I'll coil and zip-tie it so there's a couple of loops, have the connections at the top and the loops hanging down, and hopefully oil will accumulate at the bottom of the loops.

I'll clean out the oil that's accumulated at the base of the throttle body, and then check after say 1000 kms, see if oil is accumulating in the throttle body again, and how the tubing looks. If the first loop of tubing beyond the PCV valve has some oil, and the second loop looks near-clean, I'll know it's effective. Doubly so if the throttle body base is staying clean.

And if it's overwhelmed by the volume of oil, then I can utilize what I've got with a more kosher OCC.

IMG_7559.JPG

Four feet of hose, the Brass Hose Barb Splicer and two clamps was $10.43 (can) plus tax. The hose description (hopefully ok) is:

TOMAHOCK 3/8" ID 5/8" OD BRAIDED VINYL

#151 Mendel Leisk, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    danlatu likes this.
  12. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    don't skip the mesh, it helps a lot. in all the years I've never had problem in my other cars (& I don't expect to have one in the Prius).

BION

danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that's what I use for normal:
    91MQz4bTpWL.jpg 81bSFKbco6L.jpg

BION

danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey danlatu
    Would you recomend me installing an occ now that im done with my head gasket issues? All fluids were replaced. Car runs great again but im thinking bout that occ idea.i still have about 50k to drive the cartill somewhere in 2018. Doesnt look that complicated.
    Im still monitoring oil level. Been almost 2000 miles since replaced gasket. No signs of oil level dropping.

15. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will not hurt, the sooner the better. Having clean intake, exhaust valves, cat etc. will yield a better running engine. You will know it is working. The stainless pads will catch/trap more of the oil mist.

Grit likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Installed that hose, with SS wool along it's length, well a 2' section. Also pulled off the throttle body and cleaned out the tablespoon or two lurking in there. Did NOT need to disconnect any coolant hoses. DID need the car raised and underpanel off. Throttle body nuts/bolts torque is 7 ft/lb btw.

THEN, with everything installed and buttoned up, went back inside, and snapped, ordered this:

IMG_7566.jpg

ETA Sept 14 :)

Robert Holt, danlatu and Grit like this.
  17. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let us know how well it works. Looks pretty solid. Found a pro vent on eBay for 77$

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.38.12 PM.png

18. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like Bmw, Land Rover, vw, porsche have these on the engine as defined as oil separators. I see a lot of these designs use a cyclonic vortex to sling/stick the oil to an outside wall and let gravity pull the oil down while gases gets pumped back into the intake manifold. Like a dyson vacuum. I guess when they get old you toss them. Here are pics of them cut open.

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.41.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.41.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.43.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.56.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.56.19 PM.png

mjoo, kc410, Mendel Leisk and 2 others like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got the Moroso oil/air seperator in, no bashed knuckles, but mentally and physically knackered. Also removed and cleaned intake manifold. Many thanks to @NutzAboutBolts for the videos!

Fashioned a bracket for the OCC on the lower cross beam, and basically mounted for access from below.

I'll post some pics in @NutzAboutBolts thread, where to mount OCC.

20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And the state of the intake manifold at your advanced high mileage state;)?

You'll probably be the lowest mileage data point we get(y).