1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can Update, 2013 w/ 199K

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, May 27, 2023.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have put about 8K on the Gen 3 I recently repaired (broken input damper plate and clogged EGR cooler). I added an oil catch can between the PCV valve and intake manifold. In 8,000 miles, it accumulated 3 OZ of dark colored oil (much darker than the corresponding crank case oil perhaps because of added combustion byproducts) and maybe a pencil eraser worth of granular debris (carbon?). This fluid level was about half of the can's capacity so I'm thinking each oil change will work for dumping it. The Cat on this car is already compromised from burning oil and other crap, I think, but it doesn't produce significant back pressure.

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nice work. Seems it is making a positive difference.

TGrracie likes this.
  3. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I'm thinking it's either dump in oil recycling or burn the oil and carbon through the intake/combustion process. If there was a way to clean up the EGR gasses, that would be nice as well.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd change the oil at a 5K OCI instead of a 10K OCI interval that your post suggests you are on.

Oil is relatively cheap compared to a headgasket replacement or a rebuilt engine that is sometimes the outcome on high mileage Gen 3 vehicles.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. sambojoho

sambojoho Proud conservative

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    please excuse my ignorance, but what does oil change interval have to do with head gasket failure?

6. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree that intervals shorter than 10K are better as oil viscosity suffers over time. I'm probably going to stick with 8K or less, although I'm not a model of consistency. I've done a Gen 3 head gasket and I've done engine replacements (generally not on my own cars). I think the biggest Gen 3 problem is the EGR cooler clogging around 50K to 70K depending on driving conditions. I think that interval is much more critical than the oil change and there's no doubt the EGR cooler clog can cause broken head gaskets, bent or broken connecting rods, broken crankshafts, broken input damper plates, etc. When you see codes for cylinder misfires, it's time to think about the EGR cooler. I'd start with the EGR cooler if it's not been done in 50K or more. It's an engineering problem peculiar to the Gen 3. If you're losing coolant or hear a loud clanking in the power train, you're just a whisker away from catastrophic damage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey, I've been called OCD for recommending 50K interval for the first EGR cleaning. It's working for me though, and a lot easier than waiting till it's a complete lump of carbon.
    Definitely do EGR cleaning, but once you've got the codes I'd focus on head gasket first.

johnHRP and Grit like this.
  8. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mine is almost 100k miles and has not cleaned the intake nor EGR yet. But I have 2015 engine and burn 0 oil. I cleaned the throttle body 80k miles and not dirty, just some oil standing at the bottom of it which is normal in Prius. I am not sure if we still need cleaning the EGR and intake manifold that often if the engine burns no oil.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our 2011 at 114K didn't burn any oil, but the EGR cooler and EGR valve valve were about 75% clogged with oily carbon that was very difficult to clean out.

Don't wait till you have problems or codes to clean the EGR cooler and EGR valve.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

johnHRP likes this.
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You change the oil in the engine BEFORE the oil fails, thus causing engine failure.
    You don't wait until the engine burns up then change your oil.

Cleaning the EGR system is the same principal. You clean it BEFORE it causing damage.
    Plus it will keep the engine running smoothly and less strain on it.

johnHRP and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I’ve seen it mentioned a few times here, that it’s only 3rd gens with oil consumption that clog the EGR. And the ones with revised rings (commencing partway through model year 2014) are not clogging. Fool’s paradise.

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No way! And miss out on swapping in another engine?!

ASRDogman likes this.
  13. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok..., I should plan to clean them accordingly. Probably in spring when it is warmer and we have more sunny days.

I did checked the EGR valve at 60k miles and it was still moving freely. I do not have pressure washer nor air compressor. Cleaning the EGR cooler will be tedious. The intake is probably not too hard to clean.

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't NEED a pressure washer to clean the cooler, it just makes it a LOT easier and faster.
    Use oven cleaner at both ends and let it side for 5 minutes and spray again. After 30 minutes or so
    you can use a garden house to wash it out. You may need to do this a several times depening on
    how clogged it is.
    Don't use it on the aluminum though, or plastic.

If you use Gunk, the flamable one, on the intake and a 22 caliper bore brush in a drill you can clean
    those egr ports out quickly.

You should at least do the intake. It is easy to do.
    But don't wait too long to do the cooler. That's the most important part!

tellyourdogisaidhi and johnHRP like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My approach is to first get the cooler out and propped up in a corner of the laundry sink, wirh a cork in one end, filled with a concentrated, hot tap water solution of Oxi Clean Versatile Stain Remover (powdered laundry additive, mildly caustic).

Then carry on cleaning the EGR valve and pipe, and intake manifold. About once an hour rinse and refill the cooler with the same solution. After about 5 repetitions, around the time everything else is wrapped up, the cooler will be clean.

That is unless it is so socked-in with carbon that the solution has trouble flowing. In those cases you'll need some mechanical/hydraulic intervention as well I suppose. But if you were do these interventions every 50K miles, you will have effectively fixed Toyota's design shortcomings.

Attached Files:

16. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Damn Toyota!!! EGR cleaning should be easier than this ifthey keep in mind it will be part of maintenance. Honda EGR is much easier on the front of the engine.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With fourth gen EGR cleaning is not needed; even with 300K there are barely any deposits*. 3rd gen owners were Toyota's beta testers for a new (and evidently untested) system.

The third gen brake booster gizmos are similar I think, installed like they would be there forever, way back, difficult to access. And then they started failing.

* @jerrymildred, working for Tampa Hybrid, reported this.

#17 Mendel Leisk, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    honda doesn't last as long as Toyota. Nor is it built as well.
    And you only have to do it every 75,000 or so....

19. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    IMHO, I think burning zero oil you're probably good. I think you'll see P0300 or P0301 code before anything serious happens but after that, watch out.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meaning if you’re not burning oil you won’t have EGR carbon build-up? I wouldn’t count on that.
    That IS the something serious happening, namely head gasket failure.

johnHRP likes this.