1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Catch Can

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Singh Saab, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Singh Saab

Singh Saab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello All

Would like to share my experience with the used 2018 Prius Prime we bought.
    Had about 115,000 miles when we bought it and everything looked pretty good.
    During the test drive the car drove pretty well, but once we brought it come it had constant knocks at cold starts.

The oil looked like it had never been changed, so I changed the oil. The knock at cold starts had not gone away.

I went ahead and installed an oil catch can.

A mistake I made after installing the oil catch can was that I left the hose that goes from the PCV valve to the oil catch can and the hose that goes from the oil catch can to the intake manifold in their original length (almost two feet of extra hose sitting on top of the engine area).
    Doing this I think caused some condensation to build up in the hoses causing knocks at cold start. Once I reduced the hoses to the necessary lengths the knock at cold start stopped.

Short time later the knock returned which is when I inspected the oil catch can and found that it was full to the top with about 80% condensation (water) and 20% milky substance (most likely oil). After emptying out the oil catch can knock at cold start has stopped.

So, I would definitely recommend installing and oil catch can on your Prius Prime it a bit easier than the 2010-2015 Prius models as the engine area is lower to the ground so instead of bending awkwardly you can grab some knee pads and knee down and do everything, just keep your stuff close.

I would recommend keeping a close eye on your oil catch can during the winter especially if you make lots of short trips.
    I'll probably see how the summer weather effects the oil catch can report back.

Thanks for reading and feel free to reach out with comments and questions.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some mechanics have argued that this is why you shouldn't use a catch can as all that fluid is best burned off in the engine. But most of us disagree... And 2010-2015 Prius have a greater need for a catch can than newer Prius because the EGR was poorly designed in that version and runs dirty.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles did it take it to fill, and roughly what was the volume? Sounds odd, if it's filling up super fast.

With our 3rd gen it's maybe 50 cc every 2000 kms.

4. Singh Saab

Singh Saab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think about 2,000 miles or so. I did not keep track. When I heard the knock on a cold start one morning I decided to take a look. I make a lot of short trips (delivery driver) so I just assumed it was bound to happen especially during the winter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Singh Saab

Singh Saab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah another one of our Gen3 (2013 Prius) had a misfire, opened up the intake and EGR and it was all gooey. Working on replacing it and hoping that problem is solved. Long story short when we had the engine replaced the dealership used the same EGR from the old engine (I assumed they replaced that too) which meant the EGR kept building up gunk up until about 240,000 miles. If I would have known they did not replace it at 180,000 miles I would have cleaned it myself.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, @Mendel Leisk has some good links in his EGR cleaning section in his signature above. Hopefully he finally got around to updating the broken links?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s about a grands worth of parts, for starters. There’s no way they would just do that. And, replacement engine with the still-clogged EGR and intake manifold is a recipe for another blown head gasket, in short order.

my 2 cents: clogged EGR causes head gasket failure, and head gasket failure causes the cold-start knock, broken damper (twixt engine and transaxle) bent piston arm and so on. Periodically cleaning the EGR will prevent these problems.

8. Singh Saab

Singh Saab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    They did do that, the (I assume engine number) EGR was from the old engine as it had R###### written in on the side in blue sharpie, while the engine on the car had a different number on the engine block/head.

Learned my lesson to either do it yourself or double check a dealerships work. smh

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might be more accurate to say a functional EGR reduces combustion temperature and head gasket failures tend to happen when combustion temperatures get too high or are inconsistent throughout the chambers.

Not that I disagree with saying head gasket failure is caused by a clogged EGR, but there's some on here, as well as within Toyota who argue it's not direct cause and effect, which is likely why Toyota doesn't require EGR cleanings in their regular maintenance plan.

As in you'll start less disputes and be more accurate with the way I worded it above.

mjoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In my signature? I can take a look.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    and even that is still too much handwaving to really be useful to anybody.

Part of the trouble lies in glossing over how many different 'temperatures' have to be talked about.

The intake stroke pulled in something like a quarter of a gram of air mixed with some fuel. That quarter gram of stuff got ignited, and its temperature followed a curve up and back down, and then it got shoved out the exhaust port, taking most of its heat with it. When EGR is used (which is not under all engine use and load conditions!), it makes that curve more wide and squat. The peak temperature reached by the quarter gram of stuff for an instant at the top of that curve is the temperature that EGR reduces. That's important for emissions, because at the higher peak temperature, nitrogen oxides form, which we use EGR to prevent.

But that peak temperature hasn't got so much to do with the temperature of the head gasket, or of the large masses of aluminum that the gasket is sandwiched between. Those stay at temperatures much lower than the quarter gram of burning stuff itself hits. Aluminum has a high thermal mass comparable to that of concrete, and it does pick up some of the heat given off by the quarter gram of burning stuff, over the whole time that it burns. The amount of heat picked up depends more on the whole area under the curve of the burning stuff's temperature, not so much on whether that area is wide and squat or tall and skinny.

What heat does get picked up by the massive aluminum block and head gets carried away by a pumped flow of coolant, whose temperature is regulated by a thermostat and radiator. The capacity of that cooling system is already big enough to cope with the difference in heating when you drive up versus down a hill, or accelerate versus coast, far bigger differences than between wide/squat and tall/skinny temperature profiles of the burning stuff.

I think that's probably why I have always struck out when trying to find anything in published literature about EGR and head gaskets that treats the temperature as being a big deal.

On the other hand, there is definitely published literature that treats the timing as a big deal. How, after all, does EGR turn that tall, skinny temperature curve of the burning stuff into a wide, squat one? By making that quarter gram of stuff take longer to burn. The flame front has to propagate to new hydrocarbon and oxygen molecules that haven't reacted yet, and the EGR spaces those further apart with non-burning exhaust gas molecules between them, so it takes longer for the whole charge to burn.

Because the peak of cylinder pressure is still wanted about 14° after top dead center, the spark then has to be advanced further before TDC to give the slower-burning mixture time to reach peak pressure. But what if the ECM thinks EGR is happening, and advances the spark that far, but really EGR isn't happening? Then the mixture burns much faster and the peak pressure comes too early. If the pressure gets too high too early, there may be pockets of the not-yet-burned mixture that ignite on their own before the flame front even reaches them—detonation—with a very sharp resulting spike in pressure.

And unlike how hard it is to find published literature on EGR that makes a big deal of the combustion temperature in relation to engine damage, there is definitely attention paid to the risk of damage through detonation.

That's the reason the ECM is careful to retard the ignition timing if it ever has detected a problem with the EGR. But one problem that it hasn't got sensors to detect is different degrees of clogging among the four EGR passages in the intake manifold. If some are clogged more than others, opening the EGR valve a little further can make the EGR flow look right overall. But that can mean some of the cylinders are getting too much EGR, and might misfire, while others are getting too little, increasing risk of detonation because the ECM is unaware of a problem, and it isn't protectively dialing back the spark timing.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ll just stick to broad strokes, don’t want to micro analyze the issue. My interest is selfish: I’d like preserve my engine, and won’t lose any sleep if I’m overdoing the EGR cleaning a bit.

So far I’ve heard of ONE guy claiming to have cleaned the EGR regularly (every 50k miles, odd coincidence), and still blew a head gasket. Fella with Timothy Leary avatar…

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, but it helps to at least work on getting the broad strokes right, so that people reading are not rendered less able to understand the issues.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And the simple, uncomplicated solution: clean it. Say 100K miles at the latest for first cleaning, and 50K thereafter.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And especially if by "it" you mean the intake manifold, which is easy to check and to clean, and is the only place the issue described in the portion you quoted can arise. And has to be physically checked now and then, because the car's monitoring is blind to that issue.

Not that I oppose cleaning the rest of the system, but it's a lot more work, and a person might choose to schedule it based on the monitoring done by the car.

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While some of us enjoy your in depth analysis of why Gen3 engines fail early and often, there's plenty that don't have time to read your work and don't understand why you're so contrary about popular opinion. I like reading what you write, but in the back of my head I keep saying, I don't understand why he's gotta sit on top of this spiky fence for so long?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The little bit that you quoted kinda sums it up.

Some people want information in depth, some would rather skim, but even those who'd rather skim are probably still hoping to find simplified information that's good enough they won't have to unlearn it later if they decide they'd like to understand the stuff a little better.

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most don't care how or why their car got broke... They just want to get it fixed...

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That, if true, would make this entire thread of no interest to most.

20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PriusChat addicts aren't most people...

Mendel Leisk likes this.