1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Access Door

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by regombos, Jan 31, 2011.

1. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone have photos/diagrams of the OEM access door? I just got my Prius a week ago and I am curious what this panel looks like. I expect to do a few of the oil changes myself...

It sounds like a shockingly poor design for a plastic "living hinge". Granted, living hinges aren't easy to design - especially when you have to deal with the elements and high/low extreme temps.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From my perspective, anybody who encounters this issue should insist the part is replaced under warranty. If the service rep won't agree, speak to the service manager, and Toyota customer service if necessary.

The more owners that report this issue, the more quickly Toyota will be aware of it, and hopefully redesign the part. To simply give up and devise a DIY "fix" doesn't seem like the right approach to me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a pic in my post #13 here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...89685-underbody-panel-replacement-help-2.html

I agree with the responders saying that Toyota should be fixing these, and not just replacing with the same. The material is too fragile for it's purpose. And the part is too expensive. My 2 cents, they should double the thickness, and make the material softer.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's really not that bad, 8"~10" lift at the wheels and you're ok. Any less than that and it's really cramped anyways. You should try doing a DIY oil change on a second gen Civic Hybrid, almost undoable, due to it's massive fold-down door.

One tip: once you've got the car jacked and settled down on safety stands, tuck something under the rocker panels directly behind the safety stands, say a pair of snow tires. Basically something squat, solid, and thicker than your ribcage ;)

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Duct tape is likely the best stop-gap solution: it captures the broken edges (particularly if you apply it above and below), keeps them from snagging on snow, etcetera. Also best for flexibility, and doesn't require punching extra holes (which would likely tear out sooner or later).

Last but not least: it looks god-awful, which might motivate Toyota to issue a service bulletin, revise the cover spec, or something...

6. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I purposely cut my drop down door at the fold line with a box knife. My drive up ramps did not go high enough for it to fold out of the way. I added a 4 x 4 inch piece of plastic, riveted on to door halfway, exposing a 2 x 4 piece. This "leg" is then tucked under the remaining shield and secure the rest of the push pins as normal. It is now a simple procedure to remove and replace, and it is secure.

1 person likes this.
  7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good idea on the door, similar to what others have suggested earlier in this thread. I am going to do something like that myself. I would also like to find a replacement for the push pins. I have broken a couple of the pins and did find some at the auto parts store that work, but I would like to come up with some bolts or clips that will do the job without breaking.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've noticed pins come out relatively easy the first time, then not so easy from then on, making them more prone to break off the heads as you pry. I suspect it's trapped grit, so I've taken to dropping them into a pail of warm water, maybe with a splash of car wash soap, and give them a good swirl 'round, to get any grit out.

Also, besides a regular screw driver, I've found one of these very handy:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I got a couple of them things myself, I'll give that a try.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If this was a meeting, with all the kosher rules, just about now you'd expect to hear:

"Are we in accord, that this door sucks? All in favour... Opposed... The ayes have it."

Now what? I'm thinking to email Toyota Canada with a thumbnail sketch of the issue and links to this and related threads. do not know if it'll get anywhere, but couldn't hurt. My main concerns:

1. The specification for this cover is too thin and brittle.

2. Replacement cost is too high, and in light of the poor spec., should be picked up by Toyota.

3. Hopefully replacement covers should be made to a better spec., ie: thicker and softer plastic.

4. A service bulletin should be issued, regarding how to handle the brittle spec doors. In a nutshell, to only flex it back 90 degrees, and hold it back thus with twine. Do not flex it all the way back in an effort to loosen it. In cold weather (or any time), preheat the area with a heat gun.

1 person likes this.
  11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Meeting adjourned. :)

Perhaps we should all petition Toyota some how.?

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good idea.

Toyota corporate types are aware of this site and contribute, what does it take to get a dialogue going?

13. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Earler generations did not have a flip down door. and used the spin on oil filter.

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our Kia Sedona has the filter case (element type) on top of the engine. It is so easy to replace it. I wish Toyota would have located on top too.

15. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A filter relocater kit would be ideal for you if someone made one to fit it. No, I have not searched to see if anyone does.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Meh, I like crawling around on the ground and getting dirty. :D

17. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So do I, just not for this particular activity.....:jaw:

18. regombos

regombos New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is REGombos... I started this thread with the purpose of bringing this issue to everyone awareness. My dealer did not tell me of this problem even after they replace my oil with the new door missing. Thhis vehicle is so low to the ground, unless you change your own oil, you will never see this engineered door is now laying on the side of the highway some where. The Toyota Representative told me he has no recorded complaints from any other Prius owners, therefore I must have been changing my own oil incorrectly. Reading all of your responses, I can tell you that if you use the car jack that comes with your Prius, it will not lift your vehicle high enought to allow the door to open completely. I agre that a true hinge solution would be the best... plastic, brass, or stainless steel. But, there are thousands of 2010 Prius owners, and my point is Toyota should fix this faulty door that they engineered. It is not up to us to determine if it has to be there. We paid 10's of thousands of dollars for this vehicle, and this is a warranty issue. Everyone needs to complain... very loudly.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think this is a case where the reactions, from Toyota and their dealership network, are a bigger problem than the design deficiency. I see several people are being dinged $300~400US, for a replacement panel that's likely going to break just as fast.

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are absolutely right. Perhaps an online petition might help? I found this site.

I haven't read the manual entirely and not sure how the results would get to Toyota but it is an idea.