1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change after initial engine break-in?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Mooney Driver, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I suspect there's absolutely no reason to not stick with one oil weight or the other, on both cars. I'd go with 0W20, maybe cheaper and slightly more protections?

I don't think there's an iota of change in the engines, between the years; it's just a policy shift by Toyota, maybe driven by regulations, green cred's, or trying to eke out another tenth of a mpg??

2. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I did hear there were small engine tweaks for the new oil...which is the reason they say that we aren't supposed to use OW-16 in an engine that calls for OW-20...but haven't found out why, yet.
    My co-worker has a son-in-law who's a master Toyota technician at our dealership, I'll ask him.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that'd be interesting to know. Still, I think of the two "shift" options, going to 0W20 for both would be a pretty safe bet.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does Mini still have the price tag? :ROFLMAO:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Ha, great idea! I should find an old-fashioned price tag and hang it on the rearview mirror!!!

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Long story short. Filters that are full of crap are more efficient at catching smaller crap up to the point where it's plugged and go into bypass.. Honda calculated that they could do 2 OCI without going into bypass.

I did what Honda told me to do with the Si and it's still living a happy life at a hair over 463k km. Not burning oil, no chain noise, etc.. Just a happy K24.

Marko.

MTN and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Dirty oil filters filtering more efficiently is a myth, and it is not correct. That is because dirty oil filters have an unloading effect, in which the dirt in the filter media constantly gets loose and goes back into the oil. This unloading effect is bigger than any filtering-efficiency gains by reducing the holes in the filter media by dirt. A clean oil filter filters more efficiently than a dirty oil filter as a result, and you don't have to worry about the oil filter going into the bypass mode, which will happen routinely in a cold engine where the oil viscosity is high if the oil filter is dirty. Therefore, it's better to change the oil filter at every oil change. If Honda or some other car company advises otherwise, it's up to you to rely on their advice.

#27 Gokhan, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    BiomedO1 and Hicksite like this.