1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change and Tire Pressure observations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abq sfr, Aug 11, 2007.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just changed my oil at 5005 mi. At first I studied John's instructions about jack points, studied where the locations would be for the drain plug and filter, etc. After I got down there, I found I could do everything very easily with the car lifted only an inch or two, and could have done it really easily with no other instructions. Next time I'll drive on to a 2x4 and have an easy time of it. I think this car is the easiest of all the cars I've owned. Some other observations...

The crush washer was stuck on the oil pan and I didn't try to remove it. On my 2000 Sienna I'm still using the original one, and have never had any kind of leak.

The OEM oil filter was really overtightened. I went to the closest auto store (AutoZone) and got their cheap sheet metal wrench, which did not work. Went to Checker and got the graphite one recommended here, and it worked like a champ. Lesson learned... listen to PriusChatters!

There is a column of oil above the filter even after draining through the plug... be prepared for it to run down your arm onto the floor. Not sure what the lesson is there... I can see the filter from the top and I have long arms, maybe I can finish unscrewing it from above and avoid the oily arm.

Tire Pressure on OEM tires... For a few months after purchase I had never checked the TP. When I did, they were around 35-33 psi. I had never experienced the problems with traction control or stability control that are frequently mentioned here. After increasing to 40/38, I started having those kick in all the time. Also I have not observed any increase in mpg at all, although that effect might be masked by other variables such as routes I take, AC use, trip length, etc. The ride is stiffer too and more bumpy. I'll keep this TP but will go back to factory specs if I don't see an increase in mpg on next tank. Still getting only 56 mpg :) I'm starting to think it's best to stick with the Toyota recommended TP. Will this lessen the expected life of the tires?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Aug 11 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]494043[/snapback]</div>
    At "only 56mpg" you are doing well. I'll confirm the handling change and believe that soft tires wear faster than hard tires. There has been a lot of discussion over this.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

56 mpg huhh ? I can understand your modesty. ;-)

That's about what our Prius is running these days too, what with my poor choice of tyres, and waaay too much car use by my wife.

Cheers, for a fellow Abq'ian