1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change at 1k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EmptyG, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Again, 3,000 or 2,000 miles for an initial oil and filter replacement is a personal decision. The most important consideration is to do an oil and filter change when you do it.
    [/quote]

I am certain that you could have achieved the same long term engine life by standing on one foot and proclaiming your endless love for Mr. Toyota, that you achieved by changing your oil early.
    What did you do with your cancer causing oil and filter after it's shorter than needed life? I hope that you disposed of it properly, because not all people do. Still waiting on that proof of death and destruction because the break-in oil was not changed out early. I hope "the experts" don't start telling people to ware hardhats for protection against blue ice falling from planes, roof heights would have to be raised everywhere costing billions of dollars to our economy.

2. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 19 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]445661[/snapback]</div>
    :angry: Man, you got a really "bad" attitude............ I bet you even smoke two packs of cigarettes a day and think THAT'S OKAY............. chill out and let people who really want a little bit of "overkill" and really want their Prius ICE engine to get "better than the best" treatment, change their oil WHEN THEY WANT !!

AND........... as far as people dumping used oil in places like the woods or down sewer drains, give these "concerned" people some dignity and credit........... I personally bring my used oil to a local auto parts store (Advance Auto Parts) who, like many OTHER Auto Parts Stores, allows a person off the street to bring in USED MOTOR OIL and they dump it into a large RECYCLE container in back of the store and it is frequently picked up and emptied by a local oil recycling company.

Now for God sakes.............. C-H-I-L-L O-U-T M-A-N ! ! ! !

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 19 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]445661[/snapback]</div>
    So, if you don't want to change out the oil and filter early - DON'T DO IT!

As far as what was done with the old oil and filter, the dealer processes it as hazardous waste, so don't worry your little head about the environment being polluted.

4. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 19 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]445688[/snapback]</div>

Dude Chill out yourself. You and your "I change my oil for no good reason early" belief, just made 2gal of toxic waste + 2 toxic filters. Do they recycle filters too? Multiply your waste by 2 x the number of others who believe as you do and perhaps you can see my point. How many swimming pools could you fill with toxic waste that never needed to be?

5. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 19 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]445718[/snapback]</div>
    You are friggin' NUTS......... go have another cigarette and a beer.........

6. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 19 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]445731[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, I am not crazy, don't smoke and never have, only drink beer sometimes. I try to bust myths when I can, seems like no one wants to hear the truth anymore, the myth is better. The Internet is crawling salespeople selling their wares.

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 19 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]445784[/snapback]</div>
    Hey man, I'm very sorry for "snapping" at ya'...................... I know you mean well and we all are entitled to our opinions......... I will respect YOURS and hopefully you will respect MINE......... again, sorry for the childish remark I made.
    By the way, I DON'T smoke nor do I drink beer.......... now if it were a fine bottle of wine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 19 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]445718[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps you should check yourself in for therapy? You may not know this but Federal laws and regulations require both oil and filters to be recycled. (Check out the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and the relevant Code of Federal Regulations sections - even with the Bush crowd in power, they have not been able to repeal the various environmental laws that have been passed before they came to power.) Ever wonder why the auto parts stores take the old oil and filter? Maybe you are feeling guilty because of the used oil and filters that you have dumped? Only you will know for sure. I am quite confident that my extra filter and 3.9 quarts of oil are not polluting the environment.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 19 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]445784[/snapback]</div>

I wonder if you should consider smoking something (what to smoke I will leave up to your own personal decision); it might help you chill out. Your "truth" is another person's myth. Instead of spouting off and attacking someone's personal belief, perhaps you could provide some objective proof for your position? Given that the used oil and filter are being properly recycled (are you asserting that it is not being properly recycled; if so, please provide objective proof of your assertion), there is no harm in changing the oil and filter on a more frequent cycle than the manufacturer calls for to keep warranty coverage in effect. I know you feel otherwise, but if you are going to advocate for your position, you need to provide some objective proof of the correctness of your position, not just verbal attacks. Do you have some objective research that you can point to?

9. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 19 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]445942[/snapback]</div>
    That is the problem today, the people that were smoking something are in charge, brains melted and all.
    Clean oil is bad enough to manufacture, package, transport. Many things can go wrong along the way to generate waste such as bad plumbing, human error to result in a spill that may take a few absorbant towels to clean up or a roll-off container full of waste to clean up. Cradle to Grave has a lot more than "to" in the middle.
    Now used oil is known to cause cancer and many other problems in the environment, if we generate twice as much waste oil as we need to, then there will be a far greater amount waste generated to clean it up and then dispose of it. Some recycled oil is resold for consumer use, some say as good as new. I'd be suprised if some did not get used as fuel oil. Oil is not recycled by the magic man who snaps his fingers and the job is done. Each step along the way from cradle to grave has it's dangers and generates waste.

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 20 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]446074[/snapback]</div>
    Okay "clearview22" I think we all understand YOU are very, very concerned about our environment and our earth. We also understand the effects pollution, illegal oil dumping and oil spills have on us too........ but PLEASE just let this thread proceed on to helping NEW PRIUS OWNERS determine an "OIL CHANGE INTERVAL" for that initial oil change and oil changes proceeding that !!!!!!!!!
    We are (well I really think we are) ALL responsible Adults here on PriusChat and think about it........ we either traded-in the gas guzzling SUV's or sports cars for an efficient Prius, or we just outright made the initial choice to buy a Prius as a new vehicle. So WE CARE about the environment and also want to save some money as well as gasoline !! The title of this thread "Oil change at 1K miles" is just that....... it is questions and answers by real people that really care about their "investment", the Prius and are NOT going to want that investment to have it's life shortened by NOT changing the "life blood" of an engine (motor oil) at specific intervals. There are sooooooooooooo many OTHER things on this Earth that "pollute" such as the styrofoam packages fast food, meats, etc. come in as well as the darm old oil burning, worn out vehicles that some fools still drive. Unfortunately where I live in Florida has NO "Vehicle Emissions Testing" as they do in almost every other state. I hate it when behind an old, smokin' vehicle and it is quite disgusting !! So one last plea............. just CHILL OUT and let this thread be about some sort of determined OIL CHANGE INTERVAL and PLEASE stop trying to make us appear to be evil villians that are dumping used oil into rivers and tossing used oil filters onto the side of the road.........

11. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 19 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]445808[/snapback]</div>
    I do tend to get sarcastic when I am trying to make a point, sorry.
    Just read your last post, I had hoped that you could see that I was replying to Apriusfan's "I am confident that my extra filter and 3.9qts of oil are not polluting the environment". I know that people on the forum can and do see past the end of their nose, that Prius owners are more likely than most to think before they do. Don't bother replying to this post so that others may use this space to reply to the original question, that I thought I had been, but have been told that I have not.

12. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 20 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]446114[/snapback]</div>
    Putting away ALL that has been written back and forth in this post in the past................ I see YOU have a 2007 PRIUS. Is it Touring or non-touring (just curious ??) and how long have you had it ??
    We just picked up our new Prius Touring (pkg. 5) this past Friday (5/18) and it's still quite a learning curve, that is the "differences", between the "conventional" vehicle we had, which was......... a mid-size SUV (2003 Acura MDX) that got (at BEST) 22 MPG and it ONLY used PREMIUM fuel !! Here in Florida Premium Fuel is hovering around $3.30 per gallon and I literally watched the MDX gas guage go down towards "E" as I drove......... and imagine, I also had (back in 2000 - 2004) an Acura 3.2TL which ALSO took Premium Fuel. Back then the "difference" between regular and premium was only 4 cents a gallon !! Man, how times have changed............. and just think, what the heck will the FUTURE bring for us ?? I mean three years ago could we ever imagine gasoline at over $3.00 per gallon ???? Now in two or three years from now, COULD gasoline ever be like $5.00+ per gallon here in the USA ????
    We are thankful we bought the new Prius NOW................. actually wished we bought a new one LAST YEAR (2006) but "hindsight" is so easy................
    So tonight, after a nice afternoon ride in our new Prius (we still have to break it in) my Wife and I will come HOME and have a nice bottle of wine................ so enjoy, relax, be happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ May 20 2007, 06:08 AM) [snapback]446074[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. Sounds like could have, would have, should have. Do you have any proof (preferably objective, so that it can be confirmed independently) that things are going wrong and the going wrong event was not properly remediated? Where I live (California), they take waste processing quite seriously. If a commercial operation (dealerships and parts stores qualify as commercial operations) spills anything, they have to file a report that states how much was spilled and what was done to clean up the spill. File too many reports and you get a visit to determine if you are being careless. Don't file any reports and all it takes is a disgruntled employee to turn you in and you are looking at free room and board in a 10x10 living arrangement with restricted visiting hours.

I am not saying there are no problems somewhere in the world, just that in my particular place on the planet, I am quite confident that my extra oil filter and 3.9 quarts of oil are being processed according to the best practices for the waste involved.

14. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 20 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]446162[/snapback]</div>
    Thank You. What planet do you come from by the way?

15. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Man oh man............ how the heck did this simple thread "Oil change at 1k miles?" turn into a shouting/bashing/sarcastic word spewing match of pollution, oil disposal procedures, and other "ecology" issues ??

For cryin' out loud......... LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again................................ "Oil change at 1k miles?"

16. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Back on topic.

I recently purchased a new lawn mower from a local vendor. The owner advised me to change the oil after I had run the mower for about 4 hours. He indicated that there are metal shavings in the mower from the manufacturing process and that most of these were flushed out in the first 4 hours of service, hence the recommended change. Beyond that, he said it only needed to be changed once per season.

The point of this is that we are talking about a $500 mower, not a $20,000+ car. I am certainly more careful about the care of my car than I am my mower. I would assume that there are similar metal shavings floating around in the engine and that a change at around 1,000 miles might not be a bad idea. I did not do this on my car, but in retrospect probably would have had I thought about it at the time. Instead, I changed the oil at 4,750 and did not notice any visible metal shavings.

As with most things, this one is purely a matter of personal opinion. If it makes you feel better, then by all means go for it.

17. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 21 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]446577[/snapback]</div>
    GREAT !! :D
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 21 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]446577[/snapback]</div>
    If it's any consolation........... remember that the ICE (gasoline engine) in a PRIUS is only "on" 50 - 75% of the time...... therefore your 4,750 is in reality: 2,375 to 3,562 actual miles on the ICE :D

18. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 21 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]446580[/snapback]</div>
    The other consolation is that the Prius has an oil filter to remove most contaminents from the oil, so any metal shavings would likely have gotten trapped there. Most lawn mowers don't have filters and merely recirculate the same dirty oil.

19. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Hey, I changed mine at 1000 miles. But I still followed Toyota's recommendations because they also recommend six months. It was somewhat by chance that the car hadn't been driven more during that time frame too. Also, I calculated from when the car was manufactured, so hopefully that won't get me into trouble.

I also wondered, although not as vehemently, if it was really necessary. I was always of the opinion it was, having a Honda Rebel 250 air-cooled motorcycle get over 90K miles so far with no problems.

So I sent it in to have the oil analyzed. Blackstone reported, "High wear and silicon are both common finds in new engines. The wear is high due to break-in of new parts, while silicon is from sealers and sand-casted parts. Universal averages show typical wear metals from this type engine after about 6,700 miles use on the oil. We expect your engine will look that good or better in two or three more oil changes. This was a 5W/30 engine oil with no fuel or anti-freeze present. The TBN was still strong at 6.1, so the oil has plenty of active additive left. 1.0 is a low reading. Look for better wear and silicon next time." Silicon was 7.5 times what it should be, copper was 34 times what it should be. The silicon level is really what I would be concerned about.

So in my opinion, and as confirmed by Blackstone, it was worth it to change at 1000 miles. Although the oil was technically still in fantastic shape, it was contaminated by "high wear and silicon."

20. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ May 21 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]446633[/snapback]</div>
    I totally AGREE that during engine "break-in" this oil and filter should be changed, especially since it contains many contaminants and actual "small metal chips" from that newly built engine.......... but one important thing to remember with a PRIUS.......... 1,000 MILES on the "odometer" is not really true, full 1,000 miles on the ICE (gasoline engine) since it runs only 50 - 75% of the "actual time" you are on the road, driving !!
    Might be, in actuality, ONLY 500 to 750 miles on that ICE !!!!!!!!!!!!! Way too early to remove "break-in oil" and go with a synthetic (like MOBIL1) as I plan to use !!