1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change & Cluster Panel Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two separate questions guys...

*Brought my car into Valvoline for an oil change the other day. I used them because I'm disabled, and you drive in, sit in the car, and have them perform a checklist of items, including the actual oil change. It's easier for me. However...

They couldn't check some of the items on their checklist because certain parts were sealed under the hood. Namely, the transmission, and one or two other items. So they couldn't inspect my transmission oil level, or the level of my a/c coolant. As well as seeing what state the battery charge was in. So...

Does this mean that I MUST bring my car into a Toyota service center moving forward if I want to check the things mentioned above?

*Second question relates to my instrument cluster, which I've posted about before. It has gone off several times and usually comes back on within about 3 days, at most. But it's been out since Tuesday morning.

I know (from you guys) that a capacitor needs to be soldered/replaced under the dashboard.

I found what appears to be a solid place that specializes in cluster repair, but they usually don't remove the dashboard. When I asked them if they'd do it for me, they said they will, though they normally don't.

Would you trust this outfit to - PROPERLY - remove & reinstall the dashboard? Or is it easy to break/screw up by someone that's not knowledgeable in doing so?

My fear is that they'll repair the cluster well but do a shoddy job removing & putting back the dashboard.

Cluster repair company website: Instrument Cluster Repair & Car Electronics Repair & Sales | R T Grim Co

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are some plastic parts that get brittle and might be damaged even when being careful.

it's hard to say if you can trust them, but if they are a respected shop, they certainly seem to have the experience to do this kind of work.

there's no need to remove any of the aero cover to check the a/c coolant or the battery charge level. (i'm not even sure what that means)

idk if you need to remove a cover to check the tranny fluid level, but if you haven't changed the fluid, it would be worth it to find a shop who could, or a dealer. normally, the level doesn't need to be checked, unless you see an oil spot where the car is parked.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just stick to oil change with the oil change place, tell them to leave everything else alone. Check the Toyota schedule, but most of that stuff is superflous, or easily DIY'able. If a quicky oil change place does get ambitious and say for example try to check the fluid level on a Prius transaxle, they're almost guaranteed to cause a disaster.

Another likes this.
  4. aleyoop

aleyoop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't trust an oil change place to do anything like that....

As far as checking things like transmission fluid on a prius....no need. Just stick to oil changes (and the other basic stuff that can easily be viewed from the hood)...