1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am still not sure I like skipping the oil filter every other oil change, as Honda recommends, that can be 14K miles before replacing the oil filter,,,,,,,,,:eek:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We actually remove the filter, pour it out, and reinstall, to get that cup or so of old oil.

I'm ok with it, but on one occasion when I was still getting oil changes done by a dealership, I insisted they leave the filter alone, per the maintenance minder. They really argued it, wrote it up in the invoice, something along the lines of "customer insists, against our better judgement..." and so on.

In a nutshell, Honda is largely being ignored on this. Personally I think that's too bad, a simple policy change, which could cut the used oil filters by 50%.

CR94 likes this.
  3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would rather that they do change the oil filter, and I wish i had know of this when I had the first oil change done, as i don't think that the first oil change is a filter change.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This was a Honda with maintenance minder? It'd show on your invoice if you have it. The dealership would likely have a record too.

Something like this, I'm sure Honda's engineers had a good look at it.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, but still need to trust sensors, that could fail.

6. Silvertn350

Silvertn350 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For a Diy'er:
    5quart jug of mobil one 0w-20 $26.44

Oem Toyota 04152-YZZA6 5 filters, O-rings and drain plug gaskets: $25/5 or $5/each set
    04152 YZZA6 Qty 5 Toyota Oil Filters with Drain Plug Gaskets | eBay

This is assuming u have the tools and drain pan. Total Price: $31.44

literally just ordered all of this plus everything need to drain/fill trans..

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe that whole oil change thing is why Kia has now surpassed Honda in the Consumer Reports tests! :p

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Toyota has gone to cartridge filters, as all of you who have done an oil change on a GIII know. The reason given was to reduce eco sensitive trash. Which got me thinking. How much of the cartridge filter IS "recyclable"? On the -last- oil change for Pearl S (last year), I took the old filter, set it on a concrete block, and set it on fire. There was -nothing- left but a tiny bit of ash.

Very impressive.

9. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think it's intended to be "recyclable." Rather, it can be dealt with as you noted.

Long ago, they had furnaces that could burn most anything and burn clean (they run very hot). Cooking oil from fast-food places, dirty motor oil, etc....it could all be put in and burned. People who had these would seek out people looking to dump dirty oil rather than pay for it to be disposed of by other (more costly) methods. Free heating oil.

If a place wanted to recover the maximum amount of oil for recycling, all you do is put these elements into a press. To do the same with a "spin on" filter means you need a much stronger press to flatten the metal casing. Plus, you can incinerate the filter element as compared to dealing with the metal casing.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    One other way to get an oil change -by the dealer- at a very reasonable price. Go online. Many dealers have set up inexpensive oil changes there. You make an appointment online, then show up at the dealer. A local dealer offers the oil change for $40 online. Yes, shocking! ;)

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The whole filter can be recycled, but it's not easy. I happened to tune in CBC radio while they were talking to a recycler. They shred the filters, even the common regular spin-on type. Then spin it in a centrifuge with steam, extract the oil separate the metal.

My 2 cents: longer oil filter change interval is one thing I'd never second guess the manufacturer on. If they've deemed a longer interval is completely safe, say every other oil change, I go with it.

Similar process with empty oil bottles. It'd be good to adopt a bin-style oil purchase system, where you bring YOUR container, purchase oil say by weight. Save a lot of plastic bottles currently ending up in the recycling stream, or land fills. One tip the guy had: do your best to wring all the oil out of bottles, makes his job easier. One way to do that: let them sit after pouring, then do a second pour a day later. There's always an extra tablespoon or two, slid down the walls overnight.

12. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After reading all the costs for qt. and filter , and service , glad my dealer gives $9.95 synthetic oil and filter changes as a reason to buy from them ,,,

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I "let them sit" a day or two top-down, draining into another bottle. The recycler won't find even two drops left. To have a whole tablespoon left over, people have to stop emtying the bottle very prematurely----yet they often do that, as I've seen from found bottles.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that's Honda's recommendation from my Honda Fit.
    But at least my experience with more than one Honda Service department was that they'll change the filter anyway.

I took my Fit to two different Honda Service departments for two separate "inbetween" service intervals, where the oil was suppose to be changed but not the filter, and both service departments just said in practice they just change it. I guess too many owners were just asking them to do it anyway.

Being paranoid, I marked my filters to be sure they actually changed them out. -They did.

Just my own personal experience but at the very least I think services departments are very willing to bypass the recommendation and change the filter. If they are changing the oil anyway it's not much additional labor and they get to charge you for it. So my experience is especially if you ask them to do so, they'll be more than willing to give you a new filter at every oil change.

It may upset some Eco minded people, but my logic was that my vehicle is a significant investment. Given the importance of clean oil to engine durability and longevity and the relative cheap inexpensive cost of a Oil Filter, I agree....I'm just wasn't going to go 14000 miles between changing that filter.

15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That logic is questionable. Actually, a slightly used filter captures abrasive particles slightly better than a new one. Of course, you don't want to leave it so long that it clogs and starts bypassing, but unless else something is seriously wrong, that's extremely unlikely within only 14,000 miles --- as Honda well knew before making the recommendation they do. The reason dealers like to change them every time is pretty obvious.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one time I asked them to leave it alone, follow the schedule, they got close to unprofessional about it. Like I was breaking their rice bowl or summit.

17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    or 12 months whichever comes first.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I admit, it's primarily just personal preference born out of years of automotive owning history. It use to be pretty automatic, Oil AND Filter change.
    I can't really quantify the necessity of changing the filter every time you do an Oil Change.
    If people want to "Let It Ride" for 14000 miles or more? More power to them.

I feel better knowing I have changed the oil AND have a new filter. The cost is minimal....at least in terms of my pocket book.

Protocols change with the passage of time, and the evolution of materials. I can accept that with todays engines and todays modern synthetic oils, and todays filters perhaps extending filter change to every other oil change is an acceptable, maybe even ecologically beneficial practice.

I'm still not doing it.- Give me a new filter.
    My vehicle is too big an investment for me to NOT spend the $12 for a filter change.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I get individual Toyota filters at the parts counter for $8.53. Toyo says replace the filter every time, so I do. And on the Canadian 6 months or 8000 km (5000 mile) schedule, for me the months govern, by a long shot. So I'm changing oil and filter maybe every 5000 km's. Which is something like: 3500 miles... :oops:

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you outside the warranty? if so, and you don't short trip, you could consider stretching that to 12 months/7000 miles.