1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change diy for gen 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frederickdawg, May 8, 2016.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone have a write up on how to perform the oil change on these ?

Still got a few months until the vehicle reaches 6k miles. Not debating intervals here BTW ;-) usually do them 5k -7k intervals .

I'm thinking regular ramps won't work due to the low front bumper cover. Ideally wanted to know areas I could use my low profile trolly Jack to raise the front and then use jack stands perhaps . I tend to avoid using the flimsly areas on each corner that the manual shows as these can easily get damaged resulting in rust etc.

LG-H901 ?

2. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Manual p590 shows where to position a floor jack. Nothing about where to put jack stands. I prefer to have a car on jack stands in case it falls off the jack when I'm working underneath. I suppose if nothing looks solid enough under there you could always stack lengths of wood under the tires? Or put ramps under the tires?

#2 JohnF, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Not knowing your tool addiction....

"They" do make longer/ lower profile ramps for low slung cars.
    Cost is $100 or even more, yet would be a forever purchase.

Jack stands are officially to be placed on the pinch weld where the trunk jack insert marks are.
    To limit any damage IMO, one should use a jacking puck.
    See E-bay or make them utilizing rubber hockey pucks.
    (The pucks need to the trimmed to fit between the body panels and only touch at the "frame" points.)
    (Some on this forum have use other areas of the under carriage to place the stands...try a search...but use skill and be careful).

Oil filter...car on warranty, use Toyota part only and keep receipt.
    Plus at least with previous generation..... buy the special specific filter removal wrench.
    For others reading this FWIW ....I always use a torque wrench and a new plug seal/ washer on the oil drain plug.

Best for OP IMO.......jack with floor jack at official owners manual indicated locations towards the cars center and then place ramps or wood blocks under the front tires.

Have fun...let us know about the oil filter removal ease or pain.

JohnF likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, low rise ramps available at most auto parts stores work just fine on the Prius or any other car with a low front end (most hybrids). I DIY oil changes in all the family vehicles and use 10k intervals because that's the spec on most cars now-a-days and its so darn easy to remember.

JohnF likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check out this thread for the 2016 oil change pdf:

Official (OEM) Toyota Prius 2016 (Gen 4) oil-change instructions | PriusChat

It's pinned, at top of maintenance sub-forum.

A floor jack at the front central jacking point would be my preference. If the scissor jack bearing points are sim to 3rd gen, I'd look for more substantial points, for safety stand placement. Nearby and inward there may be exposed body rail. Near the front of those is what I use on 3rd gen.

The filter housing is 64 mm (face to face), 14 faces. There's several sockets offered online; I use an old Honda one.

For peace of mind I'd put something non-compressible and thicker than you under there. Someone here used spare tire rims; I use a section of tree trunk under a main cross frame.

Found this pic of the underside; might be a safety stand location around here:

upload_2016-5-8_7-47-31.png

Also, I use a very ordinary dimensioned floor jack, slips under the front just fine.

Frederickdawg likes this.
  6. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with ramps for the front wheels and one jack under the central point in the back, haven't looked under the rear yet but gen2 and gen3 had the central point, but wait, somebody is going to suggest stacking firewood under the car for support;)

Same cartridge filter as the gen3, but the access door comes off, the gen3 folded down and don't you know my ramps were 1/4" short so it was stuck on the ground in my way...as I recall after a quick perusal of the manual, it holds more oil then the gen3

8. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No need to look under the car, see Owners Manual p 590.