1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Door - Permanent Solution

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Den49, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The picture is of "Carhenge" in Alliance, Nebraska. We stopped there on a northwest U.S. road trip vacation that included Carhenge and a lot of the other wonderfull large and small sites of interest that abound in that part of the country, i.e: I-80 Archway, Mammoth Site, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Black Hills, Sturgis Rally, Corn Palace, Wall Drug, etc. The Carhenge website is:

The official website for Carhenge

2. DonJuan1943

DonJuan1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    III
    DEN49; thank you for all you do. You are always a source of help. Your trapdoor fix was very helpful to me. But I only have one problem with you: How does anyone in their right mind have such a neat workbench (as per your illustrations)?! I am open to any suggestions you may have on my workbench. I am retired, have lots of free time; yet I cannot solve the problem of putting more stuff on the workbench than I can take off...!!

1 person likes this.
  3. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I appreciate your comments. Did you actually install the hinges?

I am also retired and have plenty of time. The only solution I know for too much stuff on the workbench is a bigger workbench. I am resisting the urge to get a bigger tool box, since it just perpetuates the process of getting more tools, then needing an even bigger tool box, etc.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  4. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Den49, Thank you for your "cure" for this short coming of Toyota! I did what was the fourth oil chg on my Prius last week and I noticed that the door seam is separating, as I knew it would. I did the first oil chg, then my dealer did the next two, now I'm back to doing them. One push-pin is missing !!! and I need to address the hinge point before it's too late. I had part #s for the push-pins somewhere and now can't lay my hands on them, but your experience with the NAPA push-pins will make me go there to get some tomorrow.
    I was wondering if you thought those hinges you installed could be done on the car w/o having to remove that panel from under the car. I think I could drill the holes install the hinges with my pop riveter, then open the door and cut the plastic at the hinge point, which, luckily, is still holding it. Think that would work??

5. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It may be possible, but having done this job with the undercover removed, I do not recommend installing the hinges without removing the undercover for the following reasons:
    • The undercover is easy to remove. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
    • The rivet washers would be difficult, maybe impossible, to install without removing the undercover.The rivet washers are needed to insure the rivets do not eventually pull through the plastic.
    • Rivets are a more reliable fastener for this application. Screws and nuts can loosen. Rivets also leave a smoother surface under the car that is not as likely to catch debris.
    • The hinges need to be aligned with each other and the crease so the door opens and closes smoothly. Making sure the hinges are aligned would be difficult working on your back under the car.
    • There are only two or three flat spots on the cover for hinge placement. You want to be sure you drill the holes accurately in the right locations the first time, which is easy with the cover removed and not so easy on your back under the car.
    • All considered, I think the job takes less time, effort and you will achieve a better result with the undercover removed.
    Don't let removal of the undercover discourage you from doing the job. Its really easy and you will be happy with the end result.

6. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great idea. Thanks.

7. jsogard

jsogard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why is the oil change door even needed? My other Prius (2007) has no such cover or door and it works just fine. If it falls off, why would I need to replace it?

8. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Saw this get updated recently, so here I go.

I'm happy to report that my mod is still holding up fine. I just changed the oil last weekend, and it's working great. So quick to release the door and have plenty of room to do oil change. No more bending and working around it.

9. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can find lots of debate in other threads about whether to secure the door or just let it fall off, but this thread is more about how to prevent it from falling off. I think it is a good idea to keep the undercover/door intact because it is part of Toyota's system design to retain heat and improve undercar airflow, one of the many small improvements that helped Toyota increase the fuel efficiency of the G3 over the G2.

10. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad to hear that the quick release hinges are working well for you.

I got the new improved undercover under the warranty-covered TSB and decided to again install hinges on it because although the new undercover is improved in several ways, it looks like the plastic hinge area will eventually crack and break. Also, the door was a pain, just like the old one, to open and bend back. However, this time I decided to use a continuous aluminum with stainless steel pin (piano) hinge because it covers the front edge of the door better than two or three small hinges. The hinge is 2.5" wide by 14" long, cut from a 72" piece (Stock no. AC065025050) I ordered from Northeast Hinge Distr., Inc. Continuous Hinges | Custom Continuous hinges | Stainless and Aluminum Continuous Hinges
    Below are some pictures.

Attached Files:

Mike500 and xs650 like this.
  11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks!!!

12. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am posting this update because the 2010 G3s are now approaching three years of service and many more will be losing their oil change access doors, especially as the outside temperature falls and the plastic undercover becomes cold and brittle.

Of the two types of hinges I tried, both operate well, but I like the continuous hinge in post#30 best because it secures the entire length of the hinge area.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you explain that bit? Did you find a reasonably priced way to put a lift in your garage?

14. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Car lifts used to be bulky and expensive, but now you can get a good scissor lift for $1,000 to $1,500 and a two-post lift for under $3,000. The key issue is the ceiling height of your garage. You need about fourteen feet for a two post lift to raise the car so you can walk under it. I have only about ten feet ceiling height in my four-car garage so I opted for the scissor lift below.

Automotive Scissor Lift

I have used it to lift everything from my current Prius and Lincoln Town Car to VWs, Crown Vics, Buick LeSabre, Corolla, Camry and garden tractors. It has allowed me to do things like brakes, struts, air suspension, hitches, front axle replacement, etc. that are much more difficult or impossible without a lift. It has been a good investment and has more than paid for itself over the 10+ years I have had it. It is also very safe, much more so than ramps or jacks. A disadvantage of a scissor lift is that it blocks some of the underbody of the car, but that has never prevented me from doing what I needed to do.

If you have the ceiling height, the two-poster is the optimum choice, but a scissor lift is the next best thing.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought this 2 inch aluminum hinge from WW Grainger and will do the same as Den49 did.

https://new.grainger.com/product/MARLBORO-Hinge-4PNR5

Instead, I will use six 3/16" large flange "POP" rivets fitted after drilling from the upper side. I know that I will have to remove the insulator and top panel before doing this.

Please note that the exact length of the hinge area is 13-5/8 inches.

16. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like a good hinge.

Earlier this year I had the misfortune to run over a large piece of truck tire tread on the interstate at about 70 mph. The tire tread made a direct hit on the hinge and oil change door. The hinge came through it with only a black mark and a slight deflection which I straightened easily by hand. The oil change door suffered no damage. A less secure attachment would have probably resulted in the oil change door being ripped off the undercover.

Hope the job goes well. Interested in seeing some pictures of the completed job.

17. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Den49,
    Is there a reason you went with an aluminum hinge vs a stainless steel one ? Wouldn't the aluminum one get
    corroded after awhile ? We're in NY and they salt the heck out of the roads around here.
    Thanks

18. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used the aluminum hinge, with a stainless steel pin, because I wanted to avoid adding a lot of extra weight to the undercover and having it sag below the car. However, I used the stronger stainless steel pin because it is more durable than an aluminum pin. We get a fair amount of salt and chemicals applied to our roads in the winter. The aluminum hinge has held up well without any corrosion. A stainless steel hinge and pin would also be a good choice, as long as it is lightweight. Let us know what you decide and post a report after you do it. Good luck.

19. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another question, could you mount the hinge on the top side of the panel instead of the bottom side ? That would
    help protect it too. How much heaver would the SS one be over the aluminum ?

20. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didn't consider mounting the hinge on the top side. If that works, it might be better. You would need to be sure the hinge operates correctly and might have to cut away part of the plastic hinge groove area to do that. The existing plastic hinge groove protrudes on the top side. I was more concerned with maintaining door to undercover fit and alignment, and having a tightly closing door after the hinge was installed.

Don't recall how much heavier the SS is over aluminum. You would need to determine that for the particular hinges you are considering.