1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Fail (minor). Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uart, Dec 3, 2010.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did an oil change last week and had a minor incident. I couldn't find my funnel so I made a make-shift one out of a plastic juice bottle (well washed out). This "funnel" only just barely fit into the oil filler hole and doh a whole butt load of oil spilt out of a small gap at the back where apparently it didn't seal properly with the filler hole.

I didn't notice the spilt oil at first, as a I thought I was being careful pouring it and there was no sign of any leakage at the front where I could see it. So it was actually about 15 minutes later when cleaning up that I noticed that I'd just about filled with oil the whole recess in the valve cover where the igniters are!

I cleaned this up ok. I had to remove the little relay box below the wipers to get good access but that let my do a pretty good job of mopping it all up. The only thing that I'm wondering about is just how well are those igniters/coils sealed there at the top of the valve cover. I haven't touched the spark-plugs yet on the Prius so I've not yet removed an igniter/coil to take a good look. It appears as if there's a pretty good seal there and I don't think much/any oil should have gotten down there but I'm just wondering what others think about this. Would oil down there cause much problems? Should I remove the igniters/coils and take a look? The cars still running great btw.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Abridged version for those who don't like long winded stories. :)

- I spilt a cup or so of oil behind filler hole when doing last oil change.
    - It just about filled the little recess in the valve cover where the coils/igniters/sparkplugs are.
    - Oil (5W30 synth) was sitting there for about 15 to 20 minutes before I mopped it all up.
    - Wondering if much (or any) oil got down into the igniters/plugs and if I should remove them to check/clean?

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your probably all right. I would buy some engine cleaner and concentrate on where you spilled the oil, when rinsing the engine cleaner off use a minimum of water. I would not remove the igniters as some residual oil could then drop in there. :cheer2:

4. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No expert here but an opinion. It seems like most of the oil would have run off the engine and not soaked below the seals. So I'd clean all the oil off the rubber seals and just be aware that if smoking or drivability problems begin you'll know exactly where to attack.:(

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Andy. I wasn't keen on removing the igniters unless it was thought that there might be future ignition problems if anything got down there.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah all external oil was cleaned up ok and there's been no "smoking" issues. I was just hoping that someone who's pulled the igniters before could comment on just how good is that seal.

What made my think about this was the pictures of removed spark plugs posted here by another member a few days ago. They clearly showed that number1 plug had been sitting in water which presumably had leaked from the cowling into that valve cover recess. So obviously water can get past that seal if it's sitting there long enough.

The difference of course is that in my case 5W30 motor oil is a fair bit thicker than water and it was only there for about 15 minutes.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The O-ring seal is not very good. The igniter is secured with only one little bolt. Hence my suggestion is that you go to the effort of removing the igniters to inspect them.

That is not a hard task. Remove the relay box mounted to the cowl first, to improve your access.

I suggest that you use a mirror to look into the spark plug wells, and clean them if needed.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Patrick I might do that tomorrow if I get a chance.

Some questions
    - Do the igniters just push-clip onto the ends of the spark plugs in roughly the same way as conventional HT spark plug leads do in older cars (old like with coil and distributor etc).
    - If so then after I remove that one bolt can I just pull the igniter straight out?
    -Also should I unclip the wiring first or can it swing out with the wiring in place?

9. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just did the spark plugs on my Prius two weekends ago, so it's fresh in my memory...
    Yes, the igniters pull straight up and out once you've removed the single bolt that holds them to the top of the engine. They clip onto the spark plugs in very much the same way as the older style of wires (at least it's similar to my '97 Volvo's style).
    To remove the right-most (in the US) sparkplug and igniter, I had to unclip the wiring to make enough room to get them out. I didn't have to unclip the other three.
    When reinstalling, please check the torque on the bolts for the igniters, sparkplugs, and relay box. The spark plugs get 18 N-m (13 ft-lb); the igniter bolts get 9 N-m ( 6.6 ft-lb) and the relay box gets 8.4 N-m (6 ft-lb).
    Good luck! :)

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although it may be physically possible to remove the igniter while it is still attached to the wiring harness, I suggest that you remove the wiring harness connectors for all four igniters. Then you can remove each igniter and get a good look at it without having to bend over the engine.

11. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What would be the cleaning process if any oil did get down in there? Just wipe off with a rag as best possible?

12. AwesomeAccessory

AwesomeAccessory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the end result

Was there oil in there?

If so how did you clean it?
    Did you replace plug?

I have experience same thing today. Car running rough right after oil change with minor spill.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi AA. In the end I didn't pull the ignitors, but decided to drive it and see if any problems eventuated. None did. Maybe I was just lucky, if you're sure that yours is running rough then it would be a good idea to check/clean the igniters.

BTW. My mishap was at about 100,000 km, and I'm now at 187,000 km without any issues. I will be changing the plugs (for the 1st time) on my next scheduled service, which will be at around 200,000 km. So I guess I'll get a really good look at the igniters then.

14. AwesomeAccessory

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have 123k miles on mine, changed the plugs at 103k miles (im in New York not sure what a KM is converted)

I checked during daylight and I don't see any oil there, but I did notice on the 4th plug on the drivers side, theres some water there. maybe that could be the problem. its right on the engine block.
    I was thinking about taking out my plugs and re-gapping them, and wiping them off just to see.

on an old car where the engine is running always you can just take the plug wire off to see if there is a change in the sound, but this car is a whole new world to me.

how can I check if they are all firing.

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm pretty sure you get an engine check light and an error code logged if there's any serious misfiring. How badly is it "running rough", is there any chance it could just be imagined? You could try having a look in the dark (pitch black) and see if you can notice any faint arcing or anything from the area around the igniters. Other than that I'm out of ideas, other than to pull them and clean them.

16. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    If I remember correctly from my spark plug change, there is a fairly good seal where the top of the coil inserts into the valve cover. It is a keyed seal that fits a certain way so that a single weep hole faces toward the rear of the vehicle. If your seals are in good shape and were properly installed then no oil should get down in there. I think the reason water gets in there so easily is due to cooling and contraction of the airspace below the seal which draws in the water.

18. AwesomeAccessory

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my guess is that it the engine is running rough from the oil viscosity change, as after about 30 miles, it is running like a champ.

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I doubt that a small change in viscosity would have any significant effect on how the engine runs. People run all the way from 0w20 up to 15w40 in the Prius without any noticeable effect on how it runs.

BTW. What oil type/grade are you using?

20. AwesomeAccessory

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i always use mobil 1

but i get it from walmart, so its probably 50% water