1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change - full synthetic vs. synthetic blend

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mason5882, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Mason5882

Mason5882 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All,

I have a 2012 Prius v. I've read the manual and understand that 0W-20 is required to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. It is also my understanding that 0W-20 only comes in full synthetic and synthetic blend. I've seen some recommendations that say to use only fully synthetic because you never know what % synthetic a blend will be. I've also seen some recommendations that say 0W-20 is fine - blend or fully synthetic. My questions:
    1. Is there any consensus on the full synthetic vs. synthetic blend argument?
    2. I assume that if I go to a shop for an oil change and don't specify anything beyond 0W-20, is it correct to assume I'm getting a blend since it is less expensive?

Thanks!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As far as I know all 0W20 is completely synthetic. Either way would be fine tho. You can pick up Toyota branded 0W20 quite cheap through dealership. It's got good reviews I think; it's all I use. Up here I get litres of it for $5.63 Can.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's pretty clear that full synthetic is better than a synthetic blend which is usually 85% conventional oil. The only advantage to a blend is lower cost but the engine protection you get with synthetic is significant, particularly on long term wear indicators. If you go with 5-20w then you have to change every 5k miles instead of 10k, which then costs more and is more trouble.

oil 2.jpg

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am with Mendel I am not aware of a 0W-20 that is anything other than full synthetic. To discuss this we'd need to have some specifics such as Toyota 0W-20 vs. Brand-x 0W-20 blend but I do not think it exists.

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you only assuming that such a blend exists (contrary to what most people say), or have you confirmed its existence?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wjtracy likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assume nothing.

First of all....if you're going to sell the car before it reaches like.....150,000 miles it will not matter in the least what you put in it.
    Everybody always has long passion filled debates about their 'designer blend' of oil, and in the end they either trade out after four years or fail to regularly check their oil volume - eliminating any theoretical benefit to using "the good stuff."
    If I were to adhere to a 10,000 mile oil change periodicity (I don't/won't) I would either use OEM oil and get it from Amazon, or substitute a brand like M1 either from Walmart or Amazon.

In the end?
    It doesn't matter.
    If you're using a dealer, they'll "probably" use the right oil.
    If you're using an independent wrench, see if they will let you buy and bring the oil/filter.

Check their work.
    Sometimes either will *accidentally* omit the filter chance for Priuses since they're harder to get to.

Assume nothing.

Good Luck!

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually I wouldn't trust that the dealer would use the right oil. They will put in whatever they have handy

kithmo likes this.
  9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Buy Mobil 1 full synthetic before May 31st and get a rebate that will make it cheaper than Blends.

Mobil 1™ rebate & Mobil Super™ rebate | Mobil™ Motor Oils

It's good till the end of May with the rebate submitted by the end of June. If you are not a do it yourselfer, you can get selected oil change places to do their normal change and then submit the rebate form online (link copied below). However you get a $15 service coupon in that case for use at the same oil change place before the end of Nov 2015. The rebate is coming from ExxonMobil.

Mobil Delvac Online Rebate Submission - Cookies Required

Where to buy motor oil products | Mobil™ Motor Oils
    Click on Service Centers

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct.....but if you're having the dealer do it, then you're probably changing out cars every 4 years or so.
    If that's the case, whatever oil they put in the car will get it to 150,000 miles.

How many blown Prius motors have we heard about?
    Any?

What usually happens is that people don't check their oil for about 80,000 miles and they see the little oil symbol flicker when hitting an off ramp or a sweeping corner.
    By then, their "baby" is smoking and drinking.
    Then they'll either trade it out, or they'll use some of the lotions and potions in the "Marvel Mystery Oil" section of their local parts house.

Want to know the good part?
    Whoever winds up with the car after that will still be able to leg it out to 200,000 miles if they treat the car right.

11. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What are you worried about exactly ?
    There really isn't THAT much difference.
    A good synthetic blend should also go 10K miles with no problem. I believe the latest GM spec'd oil IS a blend.

Have your oil changed at a reputable garage and don't worry about it.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not one to think the blend makes too much difference, but if the manual calls for full synthetic to get the 10k drain interval, I'd either go full synthetic or change out earlier. As procrastination is my style, I'd go with full synthetic.

13. Mason5882

Mason5882 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Original Poster here...thanks for all the responses. I was price checking since I haven't previously owned a car requiring synthetic oil. One of the quick oil change places asked if I desired full synthetic or the synthetic blend. It was about a $20 premium for the full synthetic. I plan on keeping the car for 150k+ miles and like to follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedules, so I'll probably go full synthetic with a place I've been before.

14. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've been able to get Quaker State full synthetic lately for $2.99/quart after rebate from Menards. That's only $.50/quart more than conventional.