1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil change head scratcher

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Deja Vu! Didn't we discuss this in another thread? LOL Yeah, when I am ready... I will try tapping it. And If I fail miserably, then at least I know who to blame :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But if I do succeed re-tapping to a new M16x1.5 thread. This is what I am going to install.
    Fumoto Original F108S FS-Series Drain Valve with Short Nippple with Lever Clip, Bronze, 16mm-1.5

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You won't likely fail. If you can install and remove all of those plugs, you can and will easily tap it out. The Fumoto is good, unless it hangs down a lot below the oil pan.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. But I have to admit that I actually stripped the oil pan thread during my attempt to install the OEM drain plug, That may disqualify me from your prerequisite for "If you can install and remove all of those plugs". LOL

The oil drain plug on my son's Honda is horizontal to the bottom part of the oil pan, but about an inch above the plastic underbody cover. I don't think it is even the lowest part of the underbody parts. The Fumoto valve may increase the oil remaining at the bottom of the sump a little bit due to the narrower opening of the valve in relation to the existing drain hole, but I would not worry too much about that. For me, being able to change the oil without using a wrench is fur more important than a small quantity of old oil remaining.

Screenshot 2022-03-24 7.14.39 PM.png

#23 Salamander_King, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Installing the larger by 2mm Fumoto will increase the drain path by 1mm over the original 14mm Fumoto, so the oil retained in the pan will not make any difference. The 360 brass of the Fumoto has the same softness as the aluminum, so it is more compatible than the OEM steel one.

The location of the oil drain of the pan is ideally suited for the Fumoto, if the valve can be positioned with the lever body in the upward position.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No worries man - - I don't know of any mechanic that hasn't experienced weird stuff with cars. And anyone afraid of learning new stuff from experience probably leads a pretty boring life. :D experience is the hardest way to learn and stays in memory the longest.

6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Salamander_King and Stevewoods like this.
  7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just about to buy a new Fumoto and the tip about the SX came at the right time! :)

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Fumoto SX on our Pathfinder. I thought that was a good idea before installing it. But I didn't really see the advantage of the 360-degree rotation feature after installing it. It just makes the valve bit bulkier. If I install it on other cars I will stick with the FS- series with a short nipple. I have a hose attachment to drain oil directly into a jag. If not using a hose, then original without nipple is all you need.

upload_2022-3-25_19-50-21.png

#28 Salamander_King, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  9. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I remember the Fumoto coming with a blue fiber washer that has some compress-ability. However, a Viton o-ring will compress even more and allow the valve to be aligned in any direction. The Viton o-ring has a design life of 15 years plus.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just coming back around to this thread. Today I did the second oil change after the incident, 10,000 miles and the car is still no worse for it.

Working from the calendar, the oil change where I installed the filter that eventually fell off was the first one I did after an unrelated hand injury.

I think I just didn't put enough torque on it in the first place.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can finally mark this one solved: I had put the wrong filter on the car.

I'd managed to mix inventory on my shelf, and I'd accidentally installed a filter meant for a car we no longer own. The other filter featured the same thread, but the can body was slightly wider, so only the inner half of the gasket was sealing it to the mount.

Very lucky to get out of it with just an hour lost on a roadside mess.

PriusCamper and Salamander_King like this.