1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil change interval during Covid

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Oct 5, 2020.

1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I never thought I'd be asking a question like this.

Since I bought my (used) Prius C more than five years ago, I've been changing the oil every 10k miles (Mobil 1 full synthetic, oem Toyota filter). Everything is fine, no issues. In fact, the last Blackstone lab report I had done a year or so ago said I could probably go to 11k miles between. Well, I'm happy doing them every 10k as it's nice and east to remember.

Anyway, prior to all this Covid stuff, I was putting on between 22-25k miles per year. Now, I looked at my records and since the middle of March of this year, I've gone fewer than 3k miles. I still drive it every day; just not my usual 80+ miles per day commute. Last oil change was in the middle of December of 2019 at 140k miles. I have 147k miles on it now. So at the rate I'm going it will be another 7 months before I'd be due for my next oil change at 150k.

Do you think there's any harm in waiting until Spring to do it? It's not a big deal, but there's also no point in wasting oil and my time if it really wouldn't be helping a great deal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no right answer, but most would tell you once a year. that's what i do, since i don't drive much anyway.

spring is not an issue

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you follow Toyo USA's guideline, it'd be every 10k miles or yearly, whichever comes first.

Maybe overkill, but I'd rather waste a little oil (and a filter), sleep easy.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Short, infrequent trips in an ICE move things into the "extreme" duty cycle for servicing. Go by time now not miles.

5. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, all. Makes sense. I guess my OCD will have to live with the odd OCI. :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. mintprius

mintprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    if it sits, i still always do it every 6 months or so on all my cars. The reason is that oil is cheap, relatively speaking.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Once a year if you don't reach the mileage in that time. Mobil also says so. (There's a little referenced engine warranty Mobil provides, similar to Amsoil, which also says once a year if mileage not reached within that time).

moto g(7) power ?

8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    FWIW...with synthetic oil, in normal climates, with the car garaged.....
    I think there is low risk to seal swelling, acid build up, sludge accumulation

So I would save the $60 dollars and change next Spring or every two years if low mileage.

Blackstone Lab report is $30?
    That would have your true answers.
    Many say to change oil every year even if low miles.
    Again, with modern oil in a garaged situation, I think you can go with every two years for engine oil changing.

+1 to the OP for using the Lab.