1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change interval on dirty filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Matt_MO, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Matt_MO

Matt_MO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went to do an oil change on my Gen3 2012. Easy enough, I’ve done it before. But this time the oil filter cover would NOT come off. I even had the special oil filter wrench made for these things. I tried all the tricks and had to give up when even the impact gun wouldn’t budge it. Had to put fresh oil in a car with a dirty filter and move on. Next time someone else (maybe Toyota) will get to deal with it. So my question is: how long would you go before the next oil change knowing the filter already has 7000 miles on it?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another 3,000 will be fine. my dad used to hammer a screwdriver the the can for leverage, but if you still can't get it off, you're out of luck :p

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no can, it’s a cartridge. Just need a little leverage, without using impact gun

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Who put it on?

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like @JC91006 said, use a longer lever. Not an impact gun. I change oil as part of my part time job and have often had to use a 3-foot pipe on the 1/2" drive breaker bar.

bisco likes this.
  6. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The first oil change I did on my 2010 after buying it I had to use a long breaker bar and lay down under the front of the car with foot on the breaker bar and hold onto the bumper and push the bar with my foot to break it loose. Ended up having to do the same thing again the next time I did an oil change. Figured enough of this crap and did the spin on conversion tonight so I don't have that issue anymore. Saving the housing just in case and realized after I was done I forgot to take the cartridge out of the old housing before taking it off the car.

Foxglove and mikey_t like this.
  7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently some bozo trying to prove his manhood by grossly overtightening the filter cap.

If the engine is clean and in good shape, and has a good air filter, that oil filter is nowhere near clogged at only 7000 miles.

8. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really depends on how long that first 7k took to put on. If you're not driving much, I'd change it sooner, rather then later. If you're pounding miles in a short time and 7k is your normal change interval, I'd just wait until the next change.

9. KamiKKazi

KamiKKazi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Easiest fix would be a new housing. You can replace the oil filter or housing bracket without draining all your oil. You lose about .3 qt just top off after. You also have to option of using a oil filter bracket from a newer prius with a screw on filter.

Attached Files: