1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zerotosixtysomeday, Sep 5, 2021.

1. zerotosixtysomeday

zerotosixtysomeday New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just changed the oil on my 2011, I may have added a little too much. I added 4 qts and prob .15 of a 5th quart based on my buddy who helped me do the work. I cant tell the oil level as the oil is so clean its hard to tell. Should I attempt to siphon off some oil or is 4.125 quarts not horrible? The 5th quart shows the oil level in the bottle at the 800 mark.
    Also when removing the oil filter there was an aluminum clip at about 5 o'clock when looking at the filter. Is this clip necessary, and if so, does anyone know the part number?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the car? How many miles does it take to be a quart low on oil?

Your car can probably handle it one time with a slight decrease in MPG, but people who go to oil change places that don't measure to exact Prius specs and overfill every time end up with an EGR system that clogs up and turns into a blown headgasket sooner than later, as well as a catalytic converter that will also fail sooner than later.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The spec is 4.5 US quarts, with the oil filter changed as well. Maybe 0.2 quart less if you didn't change the filter. I would ignore it a day or two, drive it as usual. Then first thing in the morning, on level ground: remove the dipstick, wait 5 minutes, then reinsert, withdraw and check it. The side nearest front of car might be clearer. I doubt you'll be over the full mark, unless you messed up on your measurements, say lost count of the quarts. If you're 1/8" or so over, no big deal.

Not really. An engineer was likely stressing that the filter housing would come loose and unscrew itself, which is HIGHLY unlikely. I wouldn't bother to replace. I might look into conversion to spin-on, if you're into DIY.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i always add 4.4 quarts, dipstick oil level shows 1cm below the full dot over night.

if youre super paranoid like I used to be, grab a colored paper towel and put the tip of stick on the towel. You’ll see the towel obsorbing the oil, once it stops obsorbing at the tip section, there’s where the oil level is at.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on 4.4 quarts added following oil and filter change.

Slightly underfilling is better than overfilling.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.