1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change - Removing the plastic shield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Texas-Veteran, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did my first oil change on my 2010 Prius III I bought a few weeks ago. When looking to remove the plastic shield to gain access to the oil plug and filter, I noticed several plastic rivets missing. Does anyone know the part number for these plastic rivets? I need a bunch of them - a dozen or more.

The dang oil filter cap was on so tight I had to use an impact wrench to remove it. Ridiculous! Installed the Fumoto drain valve and added the Amsoil + filter. This gives me a baseline as I'll be watching for oil burn over the next 5k miles. Rotated tires as well. Swapped the interior lights for LEDs - HUGE difference!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can get equivalents at any auto supply or via Amazon. Dealer is not too bad either for originals. Prius underpan fasteners gen3.jpeg

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    and many of these parts are way cheaper purchased bulk on ebay or amazon (although lower quality plastics)

Texas-Veteran likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota generally uses 7mm plastic rivets as opposed to the more common 8mm ones.

5. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    PERFECT! Thank you very much, I've been going crazy trying to figure out which sizes or part numbers to get.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the plastic fasteners where the centre cap needs prying up, a paint can lid pry tool is my usual method:

E8F369F6-6DA3-43EA-8946-2EB4AB9657DD.jpeg
    Before reinstalling the fasteners, sluice them in hot/soapy water, and work the mechanism. Doing this without fail, they WILL last. With full panel removal, besides the bolts, there’s two kinds of fasteners: the smaller, majority-case ones, and two larger ones at the back edge. The latter have grey heads. You might want to circle the holes they go into, with a coloured Sharpie. The part no’s are shown in post by @rjparker.

If you’re switching back to doing the oil changes yourself, I’d spring for the Toyota fasteners; treated carefully they’ll LAST.

You’re on the right track removing the full cover; it’s tempting to just bend down the flap at the oil pan, but it’s a material that DOESN'T take kindly to flexing, will eventually crack and fail. Also, full removal affords you a better view, to check for leaks, Inspect drive shaft CV joints, etcetera. You get quick at it.

Sounds like oil filter was installed by impact wrench, pretty sad: torque is 18 foot pounds (or 13, with spin-on conversion). Drain bolt is 29 IIRC; check attached.

I’ve done over 20 DIY oil changes on ours, and did the spin-on oil filter conversion a few back. Shield’s like new. I finally started to need to replace one or two of the fasteners, teeth missing. Found Amayama quite reasonable priced, especially if you bundle several items, incur just one shipping charge.

Valiant V and Texas-Veteran like this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you can buy a clip fastener kit with an included pry unclip tool all under $10.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You don't need to remove the entire underbody shield to change the oil. There is a flip down section beneath the drain plug and filter. Since you say you are missing a bunch of clips, go with any of the above suggestions. How many miles are on the car?

9. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hey thanks, I really appreciate the valuable info - I prefer to do my own oil changes as well. Have you installed the Fumoto valve on any of your vehicles? I have installed them on all three of our vehicles.

10. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, I just bent it back. It is no in the greatest shape. I may replace it eventually. I just bought my Prius with 196k on it from a 1-owner who took good care of it as far as I can tell.

11. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh hey! I like the paint can opener idea! I wish I would've thought about that before I bought the kit with the tool mentioned below!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, just ordered one!

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    bought the paint opener and tried it myself. I didn’t realize how hard it was going to be, once I got the kit with the unclipper, life got much easier.

14. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay - good to know - now I don't feel so bad about buying the tool + fastener kit!