1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change requirements -- an ICE ETI is needed

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Paul.Ivancie, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It has occurred to me that the Prime needs more of an ETI (or revolution counter) to determine oil change "intervals", or a lot of expensive synthetic oil is going to go down the drain unnecessarily. At present, I am racking up significant miles on my new blue steed, driving significantly more on longer distance trips (300+ miles); but shortly, I will transition to long stretches of local (EV - sans ICE) errand trips, with only occasional excursions. Toyota will dutifully rotate my tires and change my oil at the recommended 5,000 mile intervals (for tires, with LOF changes at every other (10,000 mile) service. But... after the free service period is over, and I have to buy the oil, I will attempt to estimate when the ICE has racked up the 10K interval.
    Am I being too OCD here?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC, the manual says to change oil every 10k miles or six months. Probably something to do with degradation of the additives in the oil is my guess.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it is 10K miles or 12 months. I know that is what Gen 4 is.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right! I was going from memory and the gray cells ain't what they used to be. I checked and Gen 3 is also 10K or 12 months.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    For what it's worth, I used Mobil 1 at my first 5k and paid for the first oil change. Just not sure if I'll continue doing it every 5k thereafter. Did that for the '04 Prius and lasted 300k and engine was going strong still, which is one rationale for changing it more often. I have been driving maybe 30-40% on EV, so perhaps not doing the oil change every 5k is justified, but just still seems like a long time to go without changes, even if I rack up the miles that fast.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    going to be a lot of upset people if head gaskets start blowing...

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ETI, LIF, ICE, LOF, OCD? Ugh, LOL! Anyway:

Don't forget your power train warranty is 5 years, or 60,000 miles? Would being remiss on your oil changes void it?

You're probably absolutely right in your premise, but weigh all the factors.

And: the drained oil doesn't go down the drain these days.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.