1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change - why the difference?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Tramp, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use Amsoil - Signature Full Synthetic
    I replace the oil once a year or every 35,000 miles (which is about what I drive a year) and change the filter every 17,500 miles. Yes, you can change the filter without changing the oil in the Prius. You lose about a quart during the filter change. Also I find that the Prius is "burning" a quart about every 15,000 miles.

Currently 146,000 miles on an 05, and getting the same 41-42 MPG I've always gotten. (maybe a little lower than when I first got the car, 1 or 2 MPG average, but I replaced the tires with one size larger for a better ride (195's)

2. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Re: 1st Oil change, Mobil 1 5W30, 1000 miles, New filter?

I was planning to change the oil only, if it was appropriate to re-use the original filter.

I've since read some threads indicating a "rumor" that Toyota factory fills the 2008s with Synthetic 0W-20. If this is true, and there are no concerns with extra shavings in a new engine, then I'll just wait for my normal oil change interval.

Only question now is where do I get Mobil 1 0W-20 or similar viscosity ? Mobil 1 has been great since it's available almost everywhere including Canadian Tire etc.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: 1st Oil change, Mobil 1 5W30, 1000 miles, New filter?

I'd just leave it in until 5,000-8,000 km. If you're curious, submit a used oil sample to see how it is holding up

I stocked up on Mobil 1 0W-20 when I found out Canadian Tire was going to discontinue stocking it, they have since gone to Mobil 1 5W-20. I'll take a look at Parts Source

4. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Remember if you are extending your oil change beyond Toyota's recommendation and you still have a auto warranty, talk to your Toyota service manager about whether they will consider extended oil changes as proof of sufficient oil maintenance.
    When push comes to shove when you need it the most,
    Toyota could deny certain warranty claims based on improperly performed maintenance.
    It's up to Toyota to prove (or simply assert) that extended oil changes are the direct or indirect cause for the current problem.

Just a heads up.

ZC1