1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change with ramps?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by spiff72, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The ramps are fine, then I put the jack under the center point in the rear to jack the rear, level the car and drain all the oil.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because I have several of them in my screwdriver drawer, I use a couple small flatheads. They are the little ones with clips that you can put in your shirt pocket.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I mainly use a a repurposed tool, a paint can opener:

upload_2019-3-4_7-54-13.png

They have a hooked blade that works well, hooking under the cap and prying. I also sometimes use a slim flat-blade screw driver, in particular if the fastener is jamming and I want to pry on both sides at the same time. If the head of the fastener pops up but it's still jammed, I'll use one of these under the fastener's collar, to gently pry up on the whole thing:

upload_2019-3-4_7-57-50.png

The key fasteners longevity I've found, is to rinse them throughly in hot/soapy water, work the mechanism. It's mostly grit that jams the mechanism, causes them to break. Once in a long while the jaws will start breaking off, then I replace with OEM, purchase from dealership. It's rare though.

Fostel and jerrymildred like this.
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nail pullers work, too.
    [​IMG]

Fostel and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just use a small flathead screwdriver. There are probably close to a dozen clips and 5-6 bolts that hold the front to the bumper.

Fostel likes this.