1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by markabele, Apr 20, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading through my manuals on my brand new 2012 II and I was shocked to see that oil only needs changed every 12 months/10k miles. Wow! I can understand like 6k or 7k since the engine isn't running as much as a normal car but 10k?

Is everyone waiting that long?

So my very first oil change won't come until 10k? I thought you should change oil a little quicker right off the bat.

Thanks for any insight and advice!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius (and all recent Toyotas) does fine on a 10,000 mile synthetic oil change, which would be about 4 months in my case. Prius prior to 2010 use a 5,000 mile dino oil change, so I really do it every 2 months.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most Stateside owners are comfortable with that. FYI: north of the border in Canada the official interval is still (roughly) 5000 miles, actually 8000 kilometers, or 6 months, whichever comes first. And no: climatic conditions do not change dramatically as you cross the 49th parallel ;)

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I could only make it to 8,000 before I just had to change it. :)

On top of that, it only uses ~ 4qts of oil.

5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a long thread under Maintenance about the first oil change. I did my first @ 1500 miles, then @ 5000 miles and 10k miles, and I've done 10k oil changes since. I get my used oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs, and my engine is in great shape. BTW, I'm at 35k miles now.

I use Mobil 1 and TRD filters.

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    anyone have a link to that thread?

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually...there's more than one thread--in fact, this is one of the most frequently discussed topics here (and on every other car forum I've participated in). Try a search.

FWIW, I always do a first change at ~2K miles, then every 5K miles. Call me crazy, but I don't like to wait 10K miles to change oil & filter.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Does Toyota run their engines, change the oil then install them?

9. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Shortening the oil change interval has a demonstrated benefit, it lubricates and relieves stresses in the brainpan of the prius owner. As prius owners are all out of warranty, there may be some increase in their longevity. There is no demonstrated benefit to the vehicle itself. Economical and environmental benefits of the vehicle are offset fractionally by wasting oil.(there is a carbon expense in producing oil, trasnporting, then disposing).
    Both BMW and MB have first oil changes at 15kmi.
    Most modern cars are designed to be basically maintenance free. To people who have owned many older vehicles, and maintained them themselves, this is troublesome. The one thing owners have control over is oil changes! We're down to 0-20w once every 10k mi, I've urinated thicker than 0-20. It really won't be long until the oil system is sealed completely. I personally believe the only reason it's still user serviceable is customer reluctance to buy a car they can't do even this little bit of maintenance on.

1 person likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my point. Other manufacturers run their engines and change the oil before they install it. When they say don't change the oil until until x miles, they mean it and anything sooner is a waste of oil. I changed my oil at 10,000mi. and will again at the next 10,000mi. The engines and oils are improving every day and there's no reason to second guess the manufacturers.

11. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mercedes doesn't even put drain plugs in vehicles anymore(not in my 08 anyway), so DIY'ers have to purchase an extraction pump. Oil changes are done through the dipstick tube, oil filters are mounted on top of the engine.
    I'm very confident that every manufacturer runs engines prior to install, drains oil and refills with synth. that could be just minutes of runtime.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota's oil change interval varies wildy, depending on your country. There's a reason.

Depending on your mpg, in 5000 miles you'l consume maybe 80 liters of gasoline. Versus 4 liters of motor oil for an oil change, responsibly recycled?

13. Kingetula

Kingetula New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was about to ask the same thing before I saw this post. In my manual, it states oil change at 5,000 miles. I asked Toyota and they told me 10,000 using 0-20 oil they have.

I started thinking... If I get free service for 25,000 miles maybe this is their way to save money! Instead of 5 oil changes now, they only have to do and cover 2 oil changes. That can really add up in big savings for Toyota.

On the other hand I have watched programs where the 3,000 mile oil change was not really needed in these newer cars and was a way for companies to make money.

I'm a firm believer things get done or are not done correctly because of money. (How to make it or how to save it).

A new engine should not wait 10,000 miles for its first oil change IMO. I will be changing mine at 5,000 and at 10,000, then I will go along with every 10,000 miles.

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I seriously doubt Toyota does that--or any mainstream auto manufacturer, for that matter.

What is your high degree of confidence based on?

15. Kingetula

Kingetula New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I think he might be assuming they run it to get the metal shavings etc that a new engine will have as it breaks in and that maybe he thinks "Toyota" cleans those metal pices out by doing an oil change right away. I could be wrong (On what he really means) but that is why I will be changing mine at 5,000 and probably should do it in the first 1,500 miles. I am curious about the guy who sends his oil off (Forgot his name) but does that company tell you if there is metal of any type from breakin in the first oil change? This might change my way of thinking all together.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly we do not know where in the universe you are, but in the US, it is 10,000 miles/1 year.
    (Should you ever hope to use Priuschat as a resource, accuracy to the state/province level will aide your helpers.

17. Kingetula

Kingetula New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Haha, living off the radar. USA

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, and for where I am, it's 10,000mi.

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    VW runs their engines and changes the oil before the engine is shipped. The oil changes in their diesels in the USA is 10,000mi. It's much longer in Europe.

20. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have asked at the dealer several times about metal shavings and doing an oil change at 1500 miles. They have replied every time that it is not necessary. Needless to say I trust the collective wisdom here more than them. It would not be covered under the free oil change policy.