1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Christian_cool

Christian_cool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Everyone

Yesterday i went to a workshop to change my oil this time, and not Toyota since it is 1/3 of the price cheaper. The story is that its their first time to change oil on a Hybrid car so they was afraid of making service on my car when they opened the hood and saw the Orange Cables (High Voltage) quite funny. I convince them that nothing happens if they not touch the electrical cables and so on..
    First they empty the old oil without any problem thats good .. but when they tried to take out the oil filter it started to give them a headache.. after 45 min they gave up taking this bloody oil filter out. So only the oil was changed.
    My question is:
    - Will it harm the Engine not changing the oil-filter, but only the oil?
    - Is it possible that another dealer like Toyota can change the (oil-filter) without a big loss of oil? I still have 1 liter of the same oil in any case.

again sorry my english

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes little oil comes out with just a filter change so get that filter replaced.

It helps to have the correct fitting oil wrench to remove the oil filter canister. I suggest you buy the wrench and then go to a Toyota dealer and buy a few replacement canister cartridge's to have on hand so in the future you can go to any independent shop and have the oil changed. There's many members here who can point you to the place to buy the special wrench.

They will be along shortly.

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First of all, check out YouTube for the video on changing the Gen III Prius Oil/Filter. This educates you on the procedure involved. Second, buy the correct oil filter tool then take it with you to your shop along with the Toyota oil filter kit. You also need the nylon drain plug washers. The drain plug will seep without a fresh washer. A little research would have gone a long way. If your shop was hesitant, you should not have pushed them to do the job when they were not familiar/comfortable working on your car. The Prius is easy to work on, you just need to know the correct procedures.

4. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Search Prius wrench...then you will see a few results with gen 3 Prius wrench. This site sure don't make it easy to paste links.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The drain bolt will not seep, if you re-use the existing washer. It's good practice to replace it, but as long as you leave the existing washer in there you'll be fine.

To the OP: it's likely the dealership that's the cause of the difficulty in removing the oil filter housing. They've likely been over-tightening it.

FYI, the correct torque is 18 ft/lb. I've been doing my own oil changes since purchase, new, and the only other person to torque the oil filter in my case was the mechanic at the factory. It's never been that difficult to remove.

As you are thinking: if you go to the dealership, bring along that extra liter of oil (I assume you have replacement filter element as well). I believe they should be able to replace the filter with minimum loss of oil, maybe 250 cc at most. And stress that they re-install the filter housing to only 18 foot/pounds (24 newton/meters I believe).

I think you have a strong case that they should do this for free, since they've created this mess due to over-tightening.

I wouldn't be concerned about leaving the filter (and a little of the old oil). But still, if you go to the dealership, get it removed and properly retorqued, it resolves things.

While you're there, maybe they can sell you the "proper" filter socket? Though they may overcharge, it might be best to research and buy elsewhere.

FYI, I use a common filter socket, actually for Honda, but it works fine. It does not extend down onto the Toyota specific stiffeners, just a regular socket. It has 14 internal faces, with inside dimension 64.0 mm. This one is also readily available.