1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by My08, Mar 22, 2022.

1. My08

My08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2017 Base - I buy oil in the 5 quart container. i now have enough of this "left over" oil for an oil change. What is you thoughts on using this oil from a time and batches perspective? Thanks

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's standard procedure for me when using 5 qt. jugs.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't done an oil change on my PP yet (have had three PPs and they all came with 2 free oil changes by Toyota Care). But I don't think there is any "expiration date" on motor oil. I certainly have used unopened qt bottles purchased in bulk several years after the purchase. I have been doing oil changes on our two other cars and both take 0W-20. So I always buy 12qts bulk box Mobile 1 Advanced Fuel Economy from Walmart. Less plastic to waste. Starting from a new box, after two cars are done, I always have a few qts left over. Usually not enough to do another oil change but use that remaining oil first on the second round, and get three oil changes.

#3 Salamander_King, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Georgina Rudkus and jerrymildred like this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link. I really like the oil fill jag you posted. I just ordered one. It has a lid. I already have an oil fill jag, but mine has no lid, so if there is some unused oil left in the jag, I can't store it. If any oil is left in the jag, then I put that in an empty qt oil bottle which I use for topping off the car from time to time. You can't see in the photo below, but the jag does have graduated marks. I just dispense the amount needed to fill the car from the bulk oil box and pour that into the car.

After I get a new jag with the lid, I am going to retire this old pour jug. Clean it very well, and I should be able to use it as a watering can for our house plants. We needed one anyway.

upload_2022-3-22_9-24-35.png

Trollbait and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    FWIW; Mobil warranties the oil for 10K miles or 1 year; whichever comes first. Mobil 1™ 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy ; check the foot notes.
    I personally don't have a problem using old sealed oil. It may pickup some water vapors, but that should burn-off when the engine heats up - just like it would in the crankcase of the engine.

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading the warranty document, it seems the warranty is for the oil already dispensed into the car, not on the unused oil. But I did find the information below in the document. Basically, the oil should be used within 5 years from the purchase date in order for the warranty to be valid. However, I don't think this is the real "shelf-life" of the oil. It just means they will not warrant after 5 years on the shelf.

That being said, I really wonder if they ever get any warranty claims? I would think if an engine fails due to an oil issue, it is much more likely to be related to leaking or not changing as recommended for the type of oil used or interval. Unless the oil analysis is done, it would be difficult to attribute the engine failure to be caused by the oil quality.

upload_2022-3-22_10-3-4.png

#7 Salamander_King, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Trollbait and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  8. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I not only mix open containers, I also mix brands. I always have and always will. I have two cars right now with over 200k and no engine problems. Past cars/trucks made it over 300k with no problems. After 300,000 miles I retire the vehicle so that I can get something with newer safety systems.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The deets on the Mobil1 warranty.
    Mobil 1™ limited warranty | Mobil™
    The oil has to be used within 5 years of purchase...and @Salamander_King beat me to it.
    Oil will oxidize over time; faster in an unsealed container, but quite a bit slower than oil in a hot engine. Mobil's lawyers and accountants have decided that it is best for profits to not warranty oil in an opened bottle that is over 5 years old.

Such oil very likely is still good and safe to use. Since only a quart or two of what you have might be older than 5 years, I wouldn't worry about it. From now on, use up the old bottle before opening to new one, and you won't have second guesses.

Salamander_King likes this.