1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OZ132, Jun 2, 2009.

1. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The manual recommends 0W-20. Mobil I would seem to be the best choice?
    Would like to do the first one myself, probably early, to get the new engine metals out.
    Any advice?[/QUOTE]

I was in my Toyota dealership here in LA today and yes they want you to use 0W-20. You can use a regular oil once, but the next change needs to be OW-20. I went to a local parts store and MOBIL ONE sells 0W- 20 and OW-30 for around $6.25 a quart. Good oil is critical to a well functioning engine and cost should be the least of your concerns. Don't "game" this one. I suggest that you change it a 1,000 miles and when ever the schedule requires it.

BTW....... while I was there, I got the tech to change the reverse beep to once and the seat belt to zero. He could not change the door opening to the driver and passenger side. Darn

Linkster

2. web1b

web1b Active Member

Even if you find some metal debris in the oil, it doesn't mean it isn't supposed to be there or is damaging or reducing the life of the engine. In some cars, some of what you may take it upon yourself to pronounce as "debris" is really intended to stay in as part of the break-in process so parts of the engine are properly polished/worn and actually does "break-in."
    People send oil out for analysis on a brand new car and when the results come in say "OMG! Metal particles were found! I'm going to wash that all out and save the engine!"

Some over zealous oil changers may be preventing the engine from breaking in as designed.

3. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Really??? I thought the metal particles were bad...

4. web1b

web1b Active Member

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that's just so funny, I almost peed myself. Toyota dealerships have given folks very cute responses (Synthetic oil voids warranty) now they're requiring a synthetic oil

But still with one of the shortest oil change intervals in North America

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How many oil analysis labs will flag an oil sample - on a brand new engine - as "bad?" The only exception is if the oil has really degraded, eg no TBN, excessive shear, etc

7. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting. Thanks for the link. It makes sense. I have always used synthetic oil, but have changed according to the manufacturer's spec's. I figure though it costs a little more, it's better for my engine and I won't run into any problems with warranty.

8. gofast

gofast Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do no agree with any of this especially the over zealous oil changes hindering the break in and metal debris helping break in and I have extensive experience in building and breaking in engines.

1 person likes this.
  9. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This thread reflects the very wide range of prevailing philosophies about oil changes. Here's what I noticed and wonder about:

1. Some change their oil cold, but I've always read that changing it hot is best. If there's merit in cold oil changes, what is it?
    2. Some have stated that suspended particles aid in break in. Is there any science to back this up?
    3. Evidently a few new car makers fill their cars with break-in oil at the factory. Does Toyota? (I believe no one has suggested this, but I'm not sure)
    4. If Toyota fills the Prius with 0W20 at the factory, what harm is there in an early change with the identical oil type? (unless you subscribe to the idea that suspended particles are helpful to engine break in)
    5. Toyota doesn't recommend an early change to the CVT fluid, but considerable UOA data, including my own, suggest this is an excellent idea. This leads me to believe Toyota isn't always as conservative about fluid changes as some have asserted.
    Based on what I've read so far, I'm leaning toward a 1,000 mile initial oil change.

10. web1b

web1b Active Member

There are always going to be people with an obsessive compulsive desire to change oil by a certain time no matter if that time conflicts with the manufacturers instructions. Others who are recreational oil changers who just enjoy tinkering and changing oil as opposed to gardening. Then there are others who have just had this beat into them from their fathers and forefathers or their own experience from decades ago. Nothing anyone can say will ever change their mind.

On one hand they ask for scientific evidence to prove what they don't want to believe, but on the other hand point to anecdotal evidence to prove what they want to believe.

I actually think 5,000 mile synthetic oil changes are probably excessive for the Prius, but if I were to buy a Prius, I would still follow the recommendation even after the warranty expires because that's what they recommend. This increased maintenance cost and inconvenience will be a factor in whether or not I choose to buy a Prius, but I won't say I know better than Toyota and make up my own maintenance schedule.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Generation III

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

Changed my oil today - went without any issue.

I created standard work including pic's if anyone is interested of the process.

email me at [email protected] if interested

The total process took less than 45 minutes considering I didnt know what to do

Mr.Bill

PS using Mobile 1 5W 20W (or similar) - replaceable oil cartridge - 4.4 qts and you are good to go.

This is my first change at approx 1200 miles.

12. gofast

gofast Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I jacked my Pruis up today to look around and put a magnetic oil plug in it. There are three plug clips that need to be removed. Two that are black and one has a Grey button.Pry the inside button out untill it stops with a little screw driver. Note which one is which and then bend back the cover towards the front. It does not come off it bends back. YES it a cartridge but its no big deal.

I rebuild engines and dyno them so I would not say I'm some ignorant fool. The magnet and oil will tell me plenty in 1000 miles. Also I am very impressed that this Prius has a tubed header exhaust instead of a cast iron exhaust manifold. Here is a link that shows the process and also my drag bike at Bandimere Speed Way.

http://picasaweb.google.com/palsers/Barryspics#5357788072818767650

1 person likes this.
  13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    All three generations of Prius have had the tubed headers.

14. web1b

web1b Active Member

Wasn't there a thread in this forum a few weeks ago that said you are specifically not to use Mobile 1 oil? Was that debunked?

15. gofast

gofast Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whoever said that does not know what there talking about. Mobile 1 is some of the best oil in the world.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I usually try to smack people like that. Very satisfying

Please consider posting your photos here

As far as the cartridge filter, did you loosen it up first to let the oil drain around the flutes on the side, or did you just unscrew it all the way and let it drain out?

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found this post on another forum about the Mobil 1 thing. See the 7th post down.

2010 Prius Oil Change - CleanMPG Forums

Seems reasonable and is something that could be verified with Toyota.
    Peter

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the 2010 Prius engine requires a uniquely formulated 0W-20 (To minimise engine wear, improve fuel economy, etc), then according the the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it must be provided FREE

Anybody want to take bets that most Toyota dealerships will use whatever generic crap 5W-30 they have sitting in the rusty tote bin out back?

19. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Every oil advertisement I've seen say it's a uniquely formulated blend. They all are different. This one just happens to be 0W-20. I started using it 3 years ago in the TCH. the dealers stock it.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the 2010 Prius requires a uniquely formulated oil, Toyota has to provide it free