1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil changes...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AngelFish, Aug 27, 2004.

1. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, it does not matter if you tell the dealership to NOT overfill the car. This one did it anyway. I can't believe it... We told the guy specifically how much to put in the car (a few times). They did not listen at all, and put in too much again. I am now thinking that driving the 50 miles to a dealership one of my friends trusts with his Prius is not too far at all.

Now to call Thousand Oaks and complain to the main manager that the people who are 'certified' to work on these cars are idiots and they have just lost all our business... :cussing:

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The same thing has happened to quite a few posters in this forum. Next time tell the mechanic to pour in 3.5 quarts and to give you the bottle with the remaining 0.5 quart. Check the oil level when you get home and add as needed.

I don't take my car to the dealer for oil changes. I go to a quick-lube place close to my house, where I can see exactly what's going on and I get to choose the oil I want to use.

3. smtrader

smtrader Member

change own oil, anyone?

I've always enjoyed changing my own oil...on my old Toy Camry. Anyone tried with the Prius? Anything different or any tips? Thanks.

4. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We were very specific when we dropped the car with them to only put in 3.5 quarts (a few times) that is why I am so upset with them. They said ok. When I checked it... too much... Again.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if you did the Camray you can do Prius. Have a look at John1701a website there is a photo do it your self section dedicated to diy oil changes on the Prius.

6. smtrader

smtrader Member

Prius oil change

Thanks, Frank!! That was most helpful...I will do my own oil change!

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're willing to buy your own oil, do it and give the tech three full bottles of oil. Tell the tech to use them, no more, no less. That will fill the system including filter to half-way between the "ADD" and "FULL" marks, which is perfectly fine. This minimizes the possibility of errors. There's no need to fiddle with fractions of quarts.

8. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I alway change my own oil, I never take it to the dealer or those fast lube places. That way I put in the Mobil 1 that I want and never over fill.

Wayne :D

9. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

I was looking for the oil drain plug today on my 8 day old Prius and was happy to find it so close to the bumper and easy to get at. Now if I can find the oil filter.... I have always done my own oil changes. But since this is my first NEW car, I will probably have the dealer do it for warrenty reasons.