1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Consumption - 188,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JEFFERY TYTEL, Nov 8, 2019.

1. JEFFERY TYTEL

JEFFERY TYTEL New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hiya,
    New member here. I just hit 188,000 on my Prius 3 2012, but since about 125,000 I've had to add about 1-2 qts of oil a week. I just replaced the EGR valve and the shop told me to use 89 mid grade. I'd love to get some feedback on reducing oil consumption and is there any way to eliminate without an engine overhaul or head gasket project. Thank you. Jeff

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i've never heard of gas grade affecting oil burning.

i would run some engine treatments to see if they help at all, and run a heavier oil grade.

tankyuong likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was it just the valve replaced? If the problem is just that it's clogging with carbon, you really just need to clean, no need to replace. If someone replaced just the valve, with new, you're out $250~ plus labour and really haven't accomplished much.

The hatched bit is the valve, the yellow area is all the components impacted by EGR clogging. You need to clean everything yellowed, including the intake manifold:

upload_2019-11-9_8-30-42.png

The EGR circuit cleaning is somewhat analagous to clearing a gutter: you've got to clear it from one end to the other, all the way to the drain.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019