1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Consumption 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by paulh, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2012 is at 125,000 and oil consumption is growing a little at a time. I've switched to 5w30 oil about 15,000 miles ago.

About 5,000 miles ago I did a little PCV modification, I'm a bad boy and vented it to the outside, therefore putting thoes bad emmisons into the outside.. I know, I know... I'm a horrible person.

Removed the whole intake manifold, cleaned everything, blocked off the PCV inlet to the manifold and called it a day. Another user here on PC said that fixed his oil consumption so I was SO down with giving it a try. No such luck for me.

I'm 2,650 miles in to my oil and I've used half a quart of oil, mind you about 400 of those my Boyfriend was at the wheel and driving at 80 mph, but no real hills or moutians. Still very unsatisfied to say the least! Lord knows the consumption would have been worse with that water like 0w20 oil.

I currently am looking at other vehicles options. Possibly trade this car in. I would be totally fine with half a quart of oil every 4k miles if it stayed that way. But WE all know these damn engines start drinking once they've partaken of the "drink"

2. paulh

paulh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Aaron, came to the same conclusion after having spent $650 on a tow and as much to replace the intake manifold. Toyota basically brushed me off when I filed a claim. I don't have a lot of faith in this car anymore. Went on a trip recently and rented a car. The problem is since it is not a safety hazard Toyota just puts out the mechanics bulletin letting them know there is an issue BUT they aren't going to take care of it unless you are one of the states that have filed an injunction against them. They forced Toyota to extend the warranty. You need to check to see if you live in one of these states then Toyota will fix your manifold for free. I'm getting rid of the Prius some time next year. Love the hybrid portion of the car. REALLY disappointed that they know about this problem and refuse to fix it. By the way, I heard the new generation of Prius the defect has been corrected ,supposedly :-\.

3. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I feel like Toyota just made this engine to last 100,000 miles. They just don't care! I feel the same way, the Hybrid portion is fantastic, and I'm sure I could easily do 300k no problem since I drive 30,000 miles a year and that's what batteries love. As of right now at 125k miles the battery acts like new.

Don't even get me started on the head gasket problems with these engines! Nightmare waiting to happen

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Never too late to revise that: reconnect everything, but with an Oil Catch Can added. Keep in mind, you can always transfer it to a new vehicle...

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I
    I got my cars emmisons tested right after the mod with no problem. Don't feel like spending anymore money on this car at the moment.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve got our 2010 Prius II with 166 k miles on it down to 6 ounces of oil consumption on this oil change:).

Down from a quart every 4500 miles;).

It’s possible(y).

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's with a 10K mile interval? What was your remedy again? I know you've said, just fuzzy. Something that cleans the piston rings? (n)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yup, every 10 k :).

Every oil change I

• use BG Products EPR prior to draining the old oil out.
    • add 5w-30 full synthetic (this time I channeled my inner @edthefox5 and used red line :)).
    • Add BG Products Extended Life MOA to ensure the oil stays basic when gasoline blows by
    • Drive 0-5 mph over the posted freeway speed limit of 65 mph
    • Monitor and top up as necessary
    Just my experience though (y).

Robert Holt, RMB, SFO and 4 others like this.
  9. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought my 2010 Prius with 328,000 miles last Feb 2017... now 340,000 miles and counting! My 2010 was drinking a quart of oil every 1,000miles. (Same as my 2005 Prius) Fortunately, I got it reduced to roughly about half a quart every 5,000 miles or so! Im using ton of cheapo $1 fuel injector cleaners from the 99cent store. I used two set every time I filled up. I think those cleaners help continuously cleaning the pistons and the rings becoming unstick, improving the compression and reducing the consumption. Now I’m testing my 2005 Prius to see if I can reduce their oil consumption too.

#69 Shane Burns, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  10. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ive actually done all of these things. It just kinda stresses me out that I have to do and think about all of these things.

I feel so stressed when I have to drive fast, I'm already stressed enough because of the mpg, but then I'm thinking about the engines pistons, oil use ect... Sigh

CR94 likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the phrases of @CoastRider or @Just.Drive.It. : Just Drive It;).

Low stress for me (I get enough stress at work:().

Check the oil level and 12v charge every Saturday morning.

Buy oil change fluids well in advance and have them on hand.

Turn on the radio and look several cars ahead :).

Don’t worry, be happy(y).

12. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm started to think, in the US i read alot of oil consumption issues. In europe there almost none. Could it be the better gas we have? Because we have in the most of our gas a added cleaning additive. First it was only on the premium octane 98 fuel but they added it on the regular gas to now. I think it helpes to keep the engine clean. And less carbon build up.
    My 2012 is now at 200.000km and there is ZERO oil consumption. 0w20 every 10.000km and its a taxi.

Robert Holt, RMB, SFO and 1 other person like this.
  13. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure that definitely plays a part. I wish we had better fuel here, but for $2 a gallon I can't complain too much.

The 2010 with it's crazy amout of oil consumption (in some cases) has got to be more than just fuel. Toyota must not have put quality piston rings in.

14. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Low quality rings don't seem to be the problem... if they were, they'd be a problem in Europe too. It seems the EGR & PCV systems create the problem.

You can create your own "better Euro fuel" by adding a bottle of fuel system cleaner at every fillup. (Techron, BG, etc.)

15. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's interesting. Are you saying that the European Prius doesn't ship with the PCV and EGR systems or that the fuel is better?

Pixel XL ?

16. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    So what brand are these injector cleaners?

SFO, Shane Burns and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone seriously should register "cheapo", as a brand name. Just send me a check or two when the millions start rolling in.

scona, Shane Burns and farmecologist like this.
  18. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

RMB and SFO like this.
  19. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Thanks!

Apparently RayLube.....works!

Edit : I'll spare you the jokes about RayTheEagle. :whistle:

RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No. Rather that the lower quality fuel (or fuel with fewer/less additives) may be the root cause.

Robert Holt and mjoo like this.