1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil consumption info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scottyx, Jan 30, 2020.

1. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No.

Misfire codes when low on oil before oil pressure warning doesn't tell that any part of crankshaft lubrication is done by oil splash. Oil pressure switch (oil pressure sensor) in a Prius and in most of cars is just a simple on-off type.

When engine idles pressure is a lot lower than at higher rpm. Engine has higher oil pressure at high rpm. Engine needs higher oil pressure under higher loads. Oil pressure sensor is designed in a way that idle with hot engine (thin oil) with (acceptable) wear is still enough to not get oil pressure light (and of course there's a margin there).

When at high rpm high load situation oil pump is starting to suck in air and oil pressure is dropping pressure is still above the limit for oil pressure sensor. That pressure can still be too low to keep the crankshaft (and/or maybe other) bearings from touching (under high engine load). Those touch event cause vibrations and speed variances that computer can then think as misfires.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oil in the bottom of the intake is very common on a G2 and is becasue of the delayed valve timing of the Atkisson cycle motor has nothing to do with oil mist. The delayed timing where the intake valve does not completely close at the beginning of compression cycle and its subsequent issues was addressed by a large plenum in the bottom of the intake. By product is oil in the bottom of the intake. Was there the day i bought the car new..It hurts nothing. There is no problem to over come.

And you quoting very old priuschat nonsense where people thought they got better mileage running the car low on oil. Theres alot of that on this site including this thread.

3. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still waiting to hear your (edthefox5) response on the windage issue.

My views on windage versus oil level: When, I keep my oil at the top mark on the dipstick, I find that the spoils captured in my oil catch can (attached between the PCV valve and the throttle plate) increases significantly as compared to the amount of spoils captured when running with oil level in-between the full and add dots on the dipstick (over the same number of miles). What this says to me is that more oil mist is created when oil level is at the full level (as compared to halfway between the full and add dots). I attribute the additional oil mist to oil mist created by windage (and then propelled by blow-by).

PS Remember that the oil level that is in-between the full and add dots on the dipstick should NOT be summarized as low on oil. Instead the oil level is in the recommended range. Just my two cents ("$0.02").

PPS You (edthefox5) may not be noticing any oil mist issues because your 1.5l/Gen2 has significantly less blow-by than the average 1.5l/Gen2 with 200k miles (due to the phenomenal shape of your motor and frequent oil changes). Without significant blow-by, the oil mist generally would be less likely to be forced through the PCV system (and thereby noticed by you).

Agreed that Atkinson cycle allows intake valves to be open for the first moments of the compression stroke. Thereby pressurizing intake with compression stroke vented into intake (because intake valves are open for the first moments of the compression stroke). However, the amount of oil being vented into intake would be minimal* as the available oil would be primarily from the walls of the cylinders (generally a very light oil coating).

*- minimal when compared to oil mist from windage being propelled by significant blow-by.

#23 ydpplqbd, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020