1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Consumption - Prius 2008

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eng.Mohammad Eliwat, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Eng.Mohammad Eliwat

Eng.Mohammad Eliwat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello

i notes that my prius 2008 with 95000 KM is consume the engine oil ; yesterday i checked the oil level to find that it consumed more than 1 L with a 3150 KM ?!

Is that consumption is normal or not , i just add 1 L oil 5-30 but still need little bit more ?!
    Is it ok by adding the 1 L to the engine oil ?

Thanks

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Better to keep it close to the top dimple on the dipstick, but not overfill than it is to run it low.

It is not uncommon for a high mileage Gen II to use oil. Some are worse than others. Our Gen II with 79,000 miles on it used about 1/3 of a quart every 5000 miles. Was running Mobil 1 5W30 in ours.

Best of luck to you.

Ron (dorunron)

3. Eng.Mohammad Eliwat

Eng.Mohammad Eliwat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

its seem that there are a problem in my prius isn't it ?

But check this :

From the manual : " Oil consumption: Max. 1.1 qt./600 miles, 0.9 lmp. qt./600 miles (1.0 L per
    1000 km). If the vehicle consumes more than this amount, contact your
    Toyota dealer. "

Its maybe a normal condition !

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my opinion, yours is fine. You are using about 1/3 of 1.0L of oil per 1000 km according the numbers you posted above. Just keep your oil full. If you visit Toyota and complain, they may try to sell you a new engine.

If you want to try something different that might help, have the PCV valve changed. It won't hurt, and sometimes it helps with oil usage on the Internal Combustion Engine.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From the manual : " Oil consumption: Max. 1.1 qt./600 miles, 0.9 lmp. qt./600 miles (1.0 L per 1000 km). If the vehicle consumes more than this amount, contact your Toyota dealer. "
    The reason for that spec is that Toyota does not want to be on the hook to replace a gasoline engine under warranty unless the oil consumption is severe. Your car's oil consumption is OK, within the "normal" range. Anyway, there really is nothing practical that you can do about it, other than continuing to watch the engine oil consumption and adding oil as necessary. Make sure that you are using the correct engine oil viscosity, 5W-30. Obviously the use of a thinner viscosity will result in increased oil consumption.

My 2004 with 170K miles uses 1 US quart of 5W-30 synthetic oil per 5K miles.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps it has something to do with regular maintenance and driving conditions.

dorunron likes this.