1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Consumption Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nownow, Mar 16, 2016.

1. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all...So I've read a lot of the oil consumption threads. But I have a slightly more specific question that I haven't seen answered, so I figured I'd just ask...

We have 2008 Prius with about 210k. I run Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and have run it since about 100k. It's been using oil at an increasing pace since about 150k, and most recently has gotten to about 1 qt / 2000 miles. I should say I switched to Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30 about three oil changes ago (heck, it's the same price) and didn't see much difference.

My question: For those that have seen increasing consumption, what's the end game? Does it level off somewhere, keep getting worse, lead to engine failure at some point, etc? I'm not against adding oil weekly (this car does about 1000 miles per week right now) but I'm more concerned with understanding where this is going. I guess the side question is whether there is any merit to switching to Pennzoil Dino High Mileage 10w30. It's slightly cheaper, plus the platinum high mileage isn't available in 10w30.

Main motivation for the question: I have a bump/rattle in my driver's front strut that I assume to be either the lack of the bottom spring mount rubber thingy (I just pulled it out all dried up the other day) or an upper strut mount. Either way, I'm trying to decide whether to bother replacing the struts or not. I don't want to pay (even the parts cost) to do it and then have the engine crap the bed. It's not a noticeable handling issue...just really annoying.

Thanks in advance!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    your engine will be fine, just keep adding oil as needed

Dino33ca likes this.
  3. Michael Frank

Michael Frank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 with 241000 miles on it. I have been burning oil for over 100,000 miles now and add about a quart every 2000 miles or so. Seems to go faster as the oil gets older and the engine is still going well. I use 5w30 and usually synthetic. Why? just because really.

Dino33ca likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is your oil change interval 5000 miles?
    If not I'd consider clubbing up to that frequency and seeing if there's any change with the dino oil.

I'm guessing that your burn rate will plateau somewhere around 1q/1000miles and then you're just waiting for something expensive to break before doing the noodle dance about whether or not to repair the car.
    That may not happen for another year.
    It might happen next week.
    Start a car replacement fund. ;)

The end game?
    I see several possibilities:
    1. Run the car until your burn rate starts to affect other things like plugs, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, mosquitoes, wildlife, VET inspections etc. If you live in a state that has a VET you may have to get a little more proactive when your car starts throwing codes.
    If PA's VET excludes Priuses, then you can be smug with the polluters out there that have to shell out money when their cars throw codes.

2. If you're driving 1,000 miles every week it would be insane to get a newer car until this one expires. See how much it would cost you to put a used motor in this car. You might be pleasantly surprised. (Hint: Ebay.) You can also buy another 08 and use this one as a Hangar Queen (parts car.)

Good Luck!

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If it were my car, I'd do the following in this order:

1) Replace the PCV valve. Then drive a week (1000 miles) and see if it changes the consumption.
    2) Change to 10W-30 conventional oil. Then drive a week (1000 miles) and see if it changes the consumption.
    3) Replace the valve guide seals. Then drive a week (1000 miles) and see if it changes the consumption.

Obviously, if one of the first items fixes the oil consumption, stop, and don't move on to the next step.

6. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the replies! Actually in NC...just updated my profile. I have emissions...guess I didn't really think of that. Getting inspected in a few weeks so maybe that'll make the decision for me. No codes yet, and I'll get to 270k before the next inspection if this one passes! :sneaky:

I read about the PCVs but for some reason it wasn't on my radar. I'll probably not have a chance until the next oil change, but that would be as good a time as any. For $10 and an hour, it's certainly worth a shot.

As far as a new car fund, we'll get a 12-13 with 50k-60k on it when the time comes. Might even look for one sooner than later so I'm not stranded and having to buy something that's not exactly what we want.

Thanks again!

7. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Reading through again. What's the typical cost to replace valve guide seals...just for when (if) it gets that far.

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my Tercel, I just kept using thicker and thicker oil. The car kept burning and burning. 5w30 to 10w40 to the thickest 20w50 I think is what I ended up at. Consumption went as high as 1 quart every 300 miles before someone kindly rear-ended it and ended its life.

Let's assume your end game is ever increasing oil usage until you're at $2 a quart of oil every 300 miles. Let's assume your 1000 miles a week. 3.3 quarts of oil = $6.67 a week. Times 52 weeks a year = $350. How much is replacing the engine? How much is a valve job? Get those answers and you'll see why I advise check and add oil every fill up. It's also why I chose to refill a slow leaking power steering fluid reservoir instead of replacing it.

9. Michael Frank

Michael Frank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read that some new cars are burning a lot of oil so it isn't that uncommon and I wouldn't worry about it.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm guessing that's very expensive.