1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil consumption vs source of oil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Former Member 68813, Jun 4, 2015.

?
  1. no consumption, i change oil myself and only use quality 0W20 oil

2. consumption, i change oil myself and only use quality 0W20 oil

3. no consumption, i let my dealer or mechanic use their oil

4. consumption, i let my dealer or mechanic use their oil

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there is a possibility that quality of oil may influence oil consumption. lets vote. please post your miles when noticeable oil consumption started. to simplify, any consumption counts here.

thanks!

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always ask the dealer to put the oil spec I want. I believe this option is not available above for voting.
    No consumption til now (0W20, 5W30, both Toyota Genuine Motor Oil).

3. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, if you trust your dealer and actually see them pouring the TGMO from a sealed bottle, sure, vote the "only use quality 0W20 oil."
    otherwise, you don't know what they use, even if they tell you TGMO. unfortunately dealerships are known to lie on oils, the cheap bulk oil is too much temptation to them.

BTW, a total of 5 people voted so far (me included). not bad, but could be better considering that 150 people saw the thread.

#3 Former Member 68813, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Changing myself, using Toyota OW-20. Supposedly the same stuff the dealership would use.

No consumption, but lately only going about 4000~5000 km's between changes.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    97000 miles, no consumption, change oil myself, have used only Toyota 0W-20 purchased at dealership and have maintained 5000 mile OCI.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are other possibilities. ("Changed every other year with reclaimed non-detergent oil by my uncle ... ")

At less than 49K miles, mine isn't consuming oil significantly yet. (I've never had another car that consumed so little, even when new.) The engine oil has not been changed by anyone since it was changed by the dealer shortly before I bought the car about 7800 miles ago. I hope to soon take advantage of the dealer's offer of free changes for the first year or 15,000 miles. They claim to use Toyota 0W-20, which I have no reason to doubt. (Dealer has a relatively good reputation, as dealers go ... )

This survey will become more interesting when owners with over 200K or so vote.

Robert Holt likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

The first part is hilarious. I'd expect his used oil disposal method would be to trickle it along the fence: "keeps the weeds down". :)

Regarding the second part:

If you've managed to dodge the free oil changes so far I do not know, I'd be inclined to say thanks but no thanks. Maybe they're good, but: you hear so many less-than-pleasant surprise stories here:

Broken or gone underpanels, crazy over torque of oil filter, no filter element, overfilled oil, loading on the extras. I'd expect your door hinges will look like a barbecue pit too: they tend to take a can of lube and fire away, then put a tick on the check list, every time. :)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No consumption (but it seems it doesn't occur until past 100,000 miles at the minimum). I'm under 60,000 miles (93,000km ish). I let the dealer change it. Most of the time it's 0W-20. Twice it was running 5W-20.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At your request? How'd that impact fuel economy, did you notice anything?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. Colder climates use 0W-20. I've noticed that in warmer places, they'll use 5W-20 which I suppose is ok since places like Vancouver and Victoria don't get particularly cold to require 0W-20. There's about a $10 difference in price between the two oils.

Not sure since I change to 0W-20 at the following visit and annual temperature changes from winter to winter can mask any differences.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bump for more votes.

12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I fall into the "other" category. I use Mobil one 5w-30 that I take to the dealer. Their lounge area is across from the oil change bay. This is done on Sunday's when the cost of labor, gasket and filter is $20:).

And since I take the 5 quart container in, I get back about 1/2 quart that I use later on. My 2010 with about 140 k on the clock goes through a quart every 6500 miles.

13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect you're joking, but the 1948 Packard my friend and I drove for a short while had such horrendous oil consumption that he filled it by buying "used oil" from the large drums in the local garages. But he finally gave up and we drove it to the local junkyard despite all the still-shiny chrome pieces. They just don't make them like that anymore, thank god!

Our 2012 hatchback is only at 60,000 miles, so my data point is still below the mileage where the oil consumption problem usually develops. This oil change I used the small flap rather than remove all the under-cladding, and I was pleasantly surprised at how easily everything went, partly due to avoiding over-torquing when I did the previous oil change.

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ha I was at a Packard restoration shop yesterday in SoCal. This shop has been around 50 years and they had over 10 cars being restored. He took me to one from the 1930's and I asked how much this will be worth once completed. I was told around $120,000 and if it had a Super 8 motor it would be $200,000. Your friend should have kept his! :D

Raytheeagle likes this.