1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Drain Pan -- the "catcher" -- not the car part -- need a better one

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 11, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My husband has this Blitz brand oil draintainer thing. Has a big circular screw-on thing on the side, which constantly cross-threads and leaks.

Other cap on the end of the container also crossthreads and leaks.

Maybe it has been our abuse and not the part design...however, my dad has an old pan he says he got from Sears in the 1980s. Thirty-something years old, easy to handle and never leaks.

Anyway, this weekend is oil change time. Anyone have any better suggestions they are happy with.

I have to haul the oil some 3o miles to recycle it, so prefer a bomb-proof sort of solution. Anyone?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i use a funnel and an old gas can, splash proof, drip proof and leak proof. easy to transport as well.(y)

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One gallon milk jugs work good too. Use the one's that have the screw on caps. Don't forget the funnel.

I have a old round metal pan, probably like what your dad has. Works great for what I do with it.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you guys are doing a two-step process.

Being as Lazy as I am, I prefer to slide out the pan that collects the oil under the car, stuff the plug in the side, wipe it down with old newspapers and haul it off to the collection point, dump the oil and haul it back home.

Dear old dad has what looks like a five gallon gas can, but it has a plug on side as well as the cap on the top. Sort of like what Harbor Freight sells (but not really). Waste Oil Storage Container

Not a big fan of HF after I bought their torque wrenches and had to return them.

But seriously, had not thought about dumping from the "catcher" into old milk or juice jugs. Might just be the easiest....(y)

Thanks, Kris (but in the event anyone knows of a good "one-step" solution, please post).

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Blitz container is about as close to one step as you are going to get Kris. You just have to deal with the threads.

Here's a hint on threading. Try turning counter clockwise until you feel the part drop down a little bit, then turn it clockwise. Sometimes that will help getting the threads started properly.

Threads on plastic containers are easy to cross thread, they require patience.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is my favorite. The yellow funnel comes with the Wedco

screws onto one gallon milk, anti-freeze or windshield washer bottles.

I don't use the black container.

The funnel catches the drain plug and keeps it from going into the oil.

It catches all the flow from the oil filter cap, and allows the paper filter element to drain into the bottle.

Cap the bottle, and you'll just take it for recycling. The take the entire bottle with the oil in it at Walmart.

Attached Files:

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do a two-step process:

1) Drain oil into 6 quart black plastic drain pan
    2) Pour used oil from drain pan into a plastic container like a gallon-size antifreeze bottle or 5 quart engine oil bottle

I like the concept of the one-step drain pan except that it seemed the very large opening would leak very easily.

I think it is good to look at the drain pan as the used oil is being poured out, to see whether any metallic particles are present. If so, that is good evidence of excessive engine wear, such as camshaft bearings beginning to fall apart.

For example, my 1976 VW Dasher showed lots of visible particles in the used engine oil and the engine was getting more and more rattly in its sound. That gave me good reason to get rid of the car after around 80K miles were logged on the odometer.

8. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use an old 2 gallon oil jug with a hole cut in the side for a drain pan. Then I use a funnel to put the oil in 2 liter soda bottles for transport they are almost indestructible, and the parts store I take used oil to lets me leave the bottles with them.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just pour the old oil back into the plastic jug that the new oil came in. This makes recycling easier because there's more places available where you can just drop off the jugs (without having to pour it into a bulk container or anything).

I always buy my oil in 4L or 5L containers and I just keep the old containers to recycle the old oil. Obviously I don't use all 5L to change the oil, so the newest oil jug won't necessarily be empty, but I always have one from last time. The basic idea is that what comes out can be no greater volume than what went in, so in theory you should always have enough capacity in the original containers to take whatever you drain.

10. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also do the two-step process. After collecting the oil in the Blitz pan, I use a funnel and pour the used oil into empty windshield washer bottles. The sturdier the better. The caps are also less likely to leak than those on a milk container.

11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I use the 15 qt for all my vehicles. I believe I got them at Wally World many years (14+) ago.

The container is holding up well. When full, I transfer to old 1 gal container or oil can and return to the store.

DBCassidy