1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil filter change

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gori73, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Gori73

Gori73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I changed oil on my 2017 Prius but was not able to remove the oil filter. I probably tightened it too much during the previous oil change. The wrench tool is getting rounded but filter stays stuck with the tool on it.
    How long can I drive with new oil but old filter(11 k miles) before going to a shop for next oil/filter change?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The genuine Honda oil filter wrench, heavy stamped steel, will NOT get rounded. Couple it with a long-handled wrench, you’ll get the filter off.

You can do this anytime, will only lose the 1/2 cup or so of oil trapped in the filter; the bulk of the oil is lower, in the sump.

I’ve had one of them since around 1990; perfect fit on Honda (naturally), Toyota and Mazda.

3. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    As long as you want, but I wouldn’t drive it any longer than absolutely necessary. A simple solution would be to go to NAPA and get a Carlyle Tools Swivel Oil Filter Wrench # 77-3324. Won’t have to worry about it happening again.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's a normal type filter (no, I haven't changed one on a PRIUS) - I had a car where access was very poor - and I'd drive a screwdriver through it, and use the screwdriver to get leverage - after ¼ turn, could do it by hand.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    BTDT; usually on a car that I've bought. You'll tend to remember to put a thin film of oil on that oil filter O-ring; when you have to pound a screwdriver trough it to get it off. Dry O-rings against the engine block will tend to stick to the block.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, always a film of oil, and only tighten as specified.

I had some cars where you could get 2 hands on the filter and didn't need a tool at all to remove. But can't remember which one it was - and there was no room for either hands or a normal tool. Undoubtedly the service department had the "right" tool.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I converted our 3rd gen to spin-on style, and when I get the Toyota filter there's a clear-plastic seal over over the gasket end. When peeled off there's a clear grease already applied to the gasket. The box says to oil the gasket, the Repair Manual says the same, but I've just gone with the grease that's on there.

ColoradoBoo and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. Gori73

Gori73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I only hand tighten my oil filters. I haven't had a leak yet, knock on wood, even with the thin 0w20 and 0w16 oils.

You can also try shoving 3 pieces of sand paper @ 33 degrees intervals on those loose oil filter cap wrenches.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don’t think it’s been mentioned: torque spec is 18 ft/lb for the permanent housing style, 13 for spin-on (or 3/4 turn past first contact).

11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Did you get it off?

12. dacoobob

dacoobob Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    i had the same issue recently, the oil filter housing was a bitch and a half to get unscrewed. my filter "wrench" was slipping and getting rounded off, but exchanging it for a different brand wrench worked. both were the same nominal size but the other brand must have been made a bit tighter. unfortunately i don't remember the brand name and i'm not at home to check, but you might try a different one anyway.