1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter - FRAM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by N3FOL, Dec 20, 2007.

1. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I an anticipating to change my oil and oil filter next month. Is there anyone using the FRAM oil filter PH4967? When I did a search, there was a talk about a oil drain gasket? Should this be replaced everytime the oil is changed?

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NO NO NO NO... do not use FRAM, please!!

If you do a search on "Oil change" you'll find TONS of information on oil changes... which filters are best, how often to change the oil plug gasket, and what oils people are using. There is even a photo tutorial around here, somewhere.

Trust me about the filter, though... just say No to fram...

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do you say Fram's are no good? What about their air filter, I see they are now making one that fits the Prius?

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rae Vynn, just curious why don't you want FRAM? I've used FRAM on all of my vehicles. My 95 Taurus SHO has 162K and still running strong as ever. My 96 QUEST that replaced my Prius had 165K and never required a major valve adjustment.

I'll do my research on this anyway...If I can get an OEM oil filter from my dealership for less that $4.44 (price I paid for the FRAM) or equal to that...I'll settle for a Toyota filter.

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Check out this page http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

This guy took a couple dozen oil filters apart, and rated them for construction and quality. Fram flunked.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    amazing. You'll "settle" for a $4 filter for a car that:
    a) only needs oil changes every 5K miles
    b) has the HSD system
    c) could easily last for 500K miles

Seriously, I think paying $5 - $10 for a filter is a small, very cheap price for the peace of mind I have knowing that my engine is as protected as possible.
    Of course, I also use Mobil1.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The standard Fram oil filters have garnered a reputation for poor quality construction. A few decades ago they were a quality brand, but compared to other brands, they are inferior in construction. There are a few sites on the internet where people have disected different filters and shown the differences.

I don't think this necessarily applies to their air filters; its much more difficult to hide poor quality since the element is easy to inspect.

I don't see any reason to buy Fram filters when you can buy Toyota OEM filters for $39.90 / 10 filters with free shipping from Toyota of Dallas.

http://www.mrtoyotaparts.com/PD-90915-YZZF2-CASE10.aspx?MakeID=1

8. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ditto ...on all of the above about Fram.

10-15 Years ago while shopping for oil filters, the "Parts Girl" at a NAPA store had a display with the filters cut apart.

NAPA Gold had about three times more filtering material than Fram.

I've been using NAPA since then and WIX when not avail. No problems !!!!

I'll buy the Toyota Filter and Gasket.......Just say NO to FRAM !!!

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also won't use Fram, I use genuine.
    Small price to pay for a long peaceful life.

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    me too here, oil changes done at the Toyota dealer, Toyota filter and synthetic oil.

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I think that we're all getting hyper about our Prii. I used the Toyota filters for the first 80,000 miles on my 2004 and then got very upset when they changed the filter diameter and I had to buy a new filter wrench.

The Fram PH4967 filter is adequate and I have now used several of them (my 105k change is due soon). Paying more than $6 for an oil filter that you are not stressing (only 5k miles and not 100% ICE running) seems excessive. When I hear of actual filter failures I will rethink my opinion.

Yes, you should change the fiber oil drain washer each time, although you are likely to get by reusing one in a pinch (I have heard mixed reports on using an aluminum washer). My Subaru uses a metal crush ring that cannot be reused.

JeffD

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oil Filter: Mobil 1

Thanks to Priuschat, I purchase Mobil 1 oil filters over the web, http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=MBI&MfrPartNumber=M1209

A "double" filter. I purchase them in bulk @ $9.99 each. I have even done a print out and taken the print out to a local auto parts store and obtained the web price. It is a longer filter and is easier to screw on and off.

13. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all your replies. I intend to change my oil between 3K and 4K not as long as 5K. Our local advance auto parts store always has Pennzoil or Quaker State or Valvoline for $1.98 a quart.

I see that the Prius community has mixed feelings with the FRAM oil filter. $3.99 for 10 filters - OEM Toyota filters is a good deal. Worth checking. ;)

14. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    90915-YZZF290915-YZZF2 --> Is this the correct part filter for the 08 Prius?

15. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Who else uses FRAM oil filter for their Prius?

16. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    90915-YZZF2 is the correct number for 07. I would expect 08 is the same.

Attached Files:

17. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. I'll contact my local Toyota dealer, if the price is reasonable. If not, I may opt for the online order for a qty. of 10 filters.

18. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm an OEM guy myself; the toyota filters (air and oil) seem to be top notch.

If you want an eye-opener, grab a brand new fram and a white paper towell. Put your finger in the towell and wipe it around the metal threads of the filter and look how much metal powder comes out. It's like they didn't bother washing that piece of metal after cutting the threads. Also in my personal experience the anti-flow-back valve in the fram is not as good as the toyota. My Tacoma in the morning would run for 1-2 seconds with the oil light on when using a fram, when using a OEM filter the oil light is out almost before the motor starts, meaning the filter allowed less oil to drain back out of the top of the motor overnight.

19. Mawcawfee

Mawcawfee Prius-less (for now)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have changed my own oil for decades. FRAM makes the lowest-quality filters I have seen. I even had one fail (blew apart) after 2K miles about a decade ago and cost me an engine. Either get the factory filter (it's worth every penny) or buy a quality aftermarket one like WIX or NAPA. Absolutely no way is saving a few bucks on an oil filter worth risking major engine damage.

20. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you don't trust what others are saying, buy a few filters and cut them apart. I did that a couple of years ago. Fram was the worst by far. The Walmart supertech was a MUCH better filter. Find a brown paper grocery bag and that is what the filter media looked like The media base was cardboard too.