1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil filter leak - please help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mfavro, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In about 7 days, I will be changing my oil and filter. I installed the spin-on adapter at my last oil change. I like the fact that I can literally spin off the filter with my hands and tighten with my hands. It has not leaked a drop when I installed it. Also, becuase we are a Toyota family, it just so happens that the other 3 cars (Yaris's) use the same filter.

In another thread in Prius Chat, the infamous "The Electric Me" wrote about how america is stuck on "big" cars and suv's. I see the benefit of having one, but I have shrunk down due to a lot of things. I am really leaning towards the Rav4 Hybrid in the future, but, from observations, the seating area is not much more roomy than the area I have now. I will have to actually sit inside one (in all 4 seats) to see if it has more room than my Prius. From what I have read and seen, the Rav4 Hybrid has all the things I like, plus 40+mpg. I mainly want the extra room so when I take the family out, we aren't squished inside. We are tall people, with the shortest person being 5' 9". Anyway, enough of that.

I waited over 3 years to convert to the spin-on adapter. Got tired of the filter sticking really hard and the "O" ring not staying in place. It made changing my oil harder than it needs to be. Took 15 minutes to install the adapter.

Mendel Leisk and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thought the whole cartridge idea was the eliminate metal waste of the oil filter shell to go along with saving gas and the world model. Oh well, at least the landfill have yet expanded to our back yards.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My local recycling center takes and recycles spin on metal cased oil filters.

Montgomery likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've used one OE filter, and the rest aftermarket. The oil has always been Mobil 1, first Extended Performance, then Annual Protection. But maybe the car gets too few heat cycles or not hot enough because of low mileage. (A revelation I just thought of).

I've never had significant trouble getting off the filter. I may have used a pipe to extend the handle and hence lever force to take it off, possibly the first time I changed, but since I don't remember must not have been STUCK.

I lube the gasket before putting it on the cap, and then again after, right before placing it, as instructions note.

I also use a torque wrench to tighten to spec.

The only differences is oil and filter.

I've had a nasty experience with STP spin on filters in the past where they got stuck on our '92 190E. In that specific application I noticed the box notes "do not oil the gasket". I guess in that case it reacts with the gasket forming some kind of adhesive.

It would be nice if someone having issues try a different filter, different oil, or both, and report back after a year if the problems persist...

moto g(7) power ?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ironically, for a while the recycling places would tell me to trash the cartridge filters, but take the metal spin ons for recycling. Nowadays they seem to take both though...

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah this was the one negative for me. Sure recycling centers take the spin-ons, in fact that's pretty much all you see, when you drop yours in the bin. But the spin-ons are harder to deal with, breaking them down and extracting the residual oil more tricky.

I'm doing oil changes every 6 months (low miles, months governs), and I might just adopt a variation of the Honda policy, which is to to replace the oil filter only at every second oil change. My "variation" was to remove, drain and reinstall the oil filter at those oil-change-only events. With the spin-on that is a lot easier.

Doing that I've at least cut my oil filter consumption in half. Keep in mind: we're lucky to put on 8000 kms in a year.

My other thought is to get one of those cutters, try opening the can myself, remove the paper element, cut it along one of the seams, then fold it up like an accordion pleat, squeeze it near-dry in a (vertically mounted) vice, have the squeezed out oil drip into my oil drain container.

Hopefully the filter is just plain paper, not gummed up with stiffeners that prevent this process. I tried to cut up the regular filter-only style thus, found the ends are gummed up with a plastic resin which thwarts this.

One thing, for anyone considering the conversion: you need a 12 mm male hex bit, for installing the union.

#66 Mendel Leisk, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Georgina Rudkus and jzchen like this.
  7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my situation, in regards to the OEM filter, I did all of what has been described, proper torque, tension bar, proper placement of "O" ring, lubrication up the ying-yang........did it all. Filter just was too hard to work with. Been doing my own oil changes since 1974, never had issues with spin-on types. As for the waste, I will dispose of at the local disposal to be compliant. Keep the OEM?, convert to spin-on?, as like all discussions in here, it all boils down to personal preference and keepin ecology in mind.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Changed my oil today. Only thing that was hard was waiting for the oil to drain.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can't fool me, those filters are different colors?

My goodies arrived :)

IMG_1798.JPG

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chameleon type of filter (y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whatever oil filter you use, try to stick to the same brand. they are different on the housing structure, thickness and width a flat filter gasket that can be tricky on the feel especially when you're just tightening it by hand. Evidently when your run after a certain miles, the torque of the filter tends to change to tighter or looser which either way becomes a nightmare.
    The most friendliest and more reliable on a normal "DIY" oil changing cycle is the filter with an o-ring gasket.

#71 Classic Car Guy, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Red- Purolator?

Blue- (Gulp) STP? Or I hope AC Delco?

moto g(7) power ?

13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Red was the old filter, Blue is the new filter. Didn't think it would be that confusing........ : )

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    would there be enough room for an oil filter which is like 1.5 inches longer ?

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would that change oil pressure level?

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hey, I thought this was a done deal prior?...

moto g(7) power ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not really, but you would raise the amount of circulating oil & get more filtration material /

Montgomery, Mendel Leisk and Grit like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The stock spin-on is 90915-YZZF2. When I was buying one, I explained to the parts guy it was for a 2010 with the spin-on mod, and he said you could also use 90915-YZZF1, which is a little longer. Not much, maybe 1/2"? IIRC it's stock for RAV4 and some others?

It was discussed here, quite a whiles back:

TOYO oil filter : larger 90915 - YZZF1 : any users ? | PriusChat

You mean I'd installed it? Delivery was glacial, coming from UAE it arrived in Greater Toronto first, and now I'm thinking this means it came through Europe and over the Atlantic? Anyway: I'll just sit and gloat at these, till spring oil change. I did install the wiper blades, same order. :)

#78 Mendel Leisk, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Grit likes this.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    UAE, sounds like one of Amayama's warehouses? (Bought an axle from them, but it came from Japan)!

I think the model Toyota is '17 up Corolla?

One more is listed but I couldn't snap it all

90080-91058

Personnally for more capacity I'd just use the Fram Ultra. (Their website is where I got this cross reference list from). Screenshot_20200108-133535.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that's what I had in mind /
    there are three fitting ones:
    Fram Ultra: XG4967
    Fram Ultra oversize: XG4386, XG3600