1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter Relocation Kit for Gen III Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ny_rob, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Title says it all...
    Wondering if anyone has seen/used a oil filter relocation kit for the Gen III Prius?
    I've used relocation kits on several of my previous vehicles (still have one installed on my 2003 C-RV with 159K mi) in combination with the Fram SureDrain Fast Access Oil Drain Plug System and it makes oil + oil filter replacement very easy and convenient.

Thanks,

Rob

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since the Prius uses the cartridge type filter, I think that would be next to impossible. But, I imagine someone might since it is in a rather inconvenient location

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What would it do for you?

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It (as on my other vehicles) relocates the oil filter to a convenient location under the hood so you can access it without having to get under the car.

AAA likes this.
  5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow that would be an interesting customization. 1. New custom filter housing that integrates into the engine block with receptacles for plumbing. 2. Plumbing to and from new location. 3. A filter housing or adapter for a traditional oil filter and a mount. 4. Where to locate the new filter?

6. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen & done this on my motorcycle but never on automobile. Can u post some pix?

7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a typical setup (don't know which vehicle this particular model fits due to thread size/pitch- but it's the same basic setup for all vehicles):http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000CN4XPI?tag=priuschatcom-20 a nutshell- You have a base adapter that replaces your current oil filter- that connects via two 1/2" hoses with the new remote filter base that your new filter mounts to. You can mount the remote base anywhere (within reason) that's easy to access without crawling under the car.

On my CR-V the OEM filter location was a bear to get at- you had to be a anorexic contortionist to remove and replace it. Using the relocation kit- I was able to mount the new filter near the top of the engine compartment firewall. It's super easy to change now. Additionally, in my case the new remote base let me use a larger filter than the OEM Honda filter which (I think) has more surface area for filtration vs the tiny OEM filter for the CR-V.

8. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does Fram even make Sure Drain adapters any more?

You still have to get under the car to open the access panel and to drain the oil.

This set up would not work on a Prius. Check out this thread it might help clarify things for you. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../67747-oil-change-2010-prius-do-yourself.html In post 1 there is a PDF guide.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On top of that, you only have to do it every 10K or so miles. Just doesn't seem like a real advantage.

10. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prius 2010 and up oil filter element. It would be hard to relocate this.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't have to relocate that. The oil filter has an inlet and an outlet. You remove the filter, then tap into the inlet and outlet, then attach hoses to a filter housing that's located elsewhere. The filter housing could use whatever type of filter it's designed for. It could use the Toyota cartridge style or it could use the old metal style.

12. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know that you don't have to relocate the actual filter element, I was just trying to show the OP that the Prius does not have a traditional screw on type oil filter. You would have to make a custom housing to replace the current filter housing that is integrated into the internal oil inlet and outlet with adapters for the plumbing to the new location. You might be able to modify your current filter housing but it might be kind of hard to reinstall it or remove it with the filter housing socket, if you were to put hose unions on.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I find it interesting that the Oil Heating industry is switching to cartridge filters at the same time that Toyota is switching to canister filters.

JeffD

14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see absolutely zero reason for relocationg the OF. Just no reason for it.

REV

15. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awe come on Rev...

Like I said you still have to get under the car to open the access panel and drain the oil Fram drain thingy or not.

16. Eddgie

Eddgie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is an old thread, but has anyone found such a kit? I am considering making my own now after just paying $85 for an oil change at a fast change place.

I normally do change my own, but it was hot and I am leaving on a trip on Sunday and just took it to an oil change place. Imagine my sticker shock at getting an $85 bill because they charge $10 per quart for synthetic oil. The Prius filter is actually a pain to change, so a remote filter would be a big benefit. That way, I would not have to get under the car except to install it.