1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil filter removal help needed

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gen 2 Tom, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm under the car with the Toyota cartridge wrench, trying to unscrew the filter cartridge. I get about a half turn and the teeth of the wrench catch on this spring clip. It's caught so bad it want's to bend it up.

What am I doing wrong? I'm' about to cut the clip off!!!

The whole thing looks overly engineered. Give me back the spin on filter from my Gen 2.

epoch_time and ETP like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Go the other way, screw it in slightly, then lift the tang with a screw driver as you loosen. Or pull it off, no loss.

Funny, on our third gen when loosening that housing, the clip's there, but doesn't really do a thing, definitely doesn't impede you as you're unscrewing, just goes up and over some little ridge.

ETP likes this.
  3. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update, the rest of the story
    The filter wrench I got at the Toyota dealer, so they say is the best for these cartridge filters. It goes down completely over those wings on the housing. So you make a half a turn and the slot in the wrench catches that spring clip. I see nothing that spring clip does. The wings appear to be for hand loosing / tightening. Although I couldn't break it free by hand.

So looking carefully at the cartridge I see the top section is made for standard filter wrench. My old Gen 2 wrench fits it perfectly. And it doesn't get near the useless clip.

A few observations. I'm using my home built ramps that where fine for the Gen 2, but are to low for the Gen 4. The Gen 4 is filter is further back. When you screw the cartridge cap on it gets snug as the O ring engages. Keep turning, 4 or 5 turns until the cap seats with the housing. It will just come to a stop, your done.

ETP likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Every time I read about this new filter/cartridge thing, it makes me wonder exactly what is the tech doing with our Prius. I have been taking ours in as the dealer I use for service does not charge a arm and a leg for the oil/filter change and tire rotation. I can get in and out for under $60. and never have to deal with any of this stuff.

But with the covers and the cartridge holder it sounds to me like Toyota really screwed up when they redesigned it after Gen II's spin on filter.

ETP likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got no problems with it. I torque it to the specd 18 ft/lb, then when it comes time to take it off, no drama.

I'm using an old Honda socket, just a regular 14 face, no extensions for the stiffeners.

ETP likes this.
  6. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those of us old enough, know that oil filters were cartridge in a can. The spin off filter is a waste of all the metal, etc. I had the kid in the auto parts store say how much more the new cartridge filters where. Strange since there the inside of the spin off. Should be half the price of the spin off's.

I use Mobil one, and it's a bit pricey. So I rather do it myself.

epoch_time and ETP like this.
  7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOL, I am plenty old enough to remember the cartridge type filters. Used to change an old 283 that had the cartridge. At least it was designed simply and all one needed was a wrench or a socket. It was also made of heavy gauge steel vs the plastic that is being sold today. All in all the current design is a problem that needs to be addressed with BETTER engineering IMHO. FWIW, back then is when a car was built solid, not like the tin metal and plastic jobs of today. And you did not need a scanner and a ODB plug to figure out what was wrong. Any one that had a dwell meter and a timing light could pretty much do what ever needed to be done. Points, plugs, and condenser was the name of the tune back then. Sure, electronic ignition is more reliable than old school but when a coil pack goes bad you pay the piper for that technology.

Just because it is new and the latest thing does not mean it is always better. IMO Toyota needs to rethink this design. Either make the cover steel with a better system for install and removal or go back to the spin on. IMO there are way too many having trouble, otherwise the topic would not keep resurfacing here on Prius Chat.

epoch_time, ETP and CR94 like this.
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The most signiificant difference between the old (pre-1959, about) cartridges and new cartridges is that the new ones tend to be a lot smaller, and are lighter by an even greater margin due to elimination of most of the metal. The old ones---at least the few I can remember---were far easier to replace, but that had more to do with accessibility than the configuration of the filter housing itself.

ETP and dorunron like this.
  9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I agree the cart system is ancient technology, but you see what you get and no hidden defective materials inside a metal casing.

I will never change this myself. My 240D and 300D cured me of ever doing that again.

dorunron likes this.