1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter Remover

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Triparadox, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think this'll do quite well. I can pay for it and the shipping since we don't know how long this outbreak will last. Considering you've used it to open your old Prius, I'm better off with this one.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for this! For now, I'll try to buy Ray's old tool. He doesn't need it anymore, so I think it's a win-win for both of us.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Shoot me a private message and we can make it happen(y).

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The number is on the page I sent:
    Part Number: W54076
    Alternate Part Number: AZ5010

I guess some people at autozone don't know how to read.... :)
    The above number IS for TOYOTA.....

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Triparadox, Please know that for me, the tightness was always different when trying to remove it. Sometimes it took all my strength using a breaker bar, others, regular rachet with gentle tapping with a hammer. I'm one of those who converted to the Spin-On kit. Glad I did.

Paul E. Highway likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the Toyota tool/socket and I can confirm it goes nowhere near the clip. The ones that do manipulate the clip are aftermarket.

Here's the one I have:

https://toyota.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=09228-06500-02A

They even put a real life image of the thing.

I have two canister cars in the household, the '12 Prius v, and a '14 iQ. I use the exact same tool on both. The iQ does not have a clip. The Prius v does. The iQ's cap is metal, the Prius v's is some sort of plastic. Now if the clip was designed to prevent unscrewing, don't you think they'd also install one in the iQ? I still believe it is there in case of catastrophic thread failure, to prevent the cap from shooting straight out.

moto g(7) power ?

RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks very similar to the Honda socket. One advantage: it has a cut-out, helps for prying the socket off if it's a little jammed.

jzchen likes this.
  8. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did. Did you not get the message?

9. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes.

And I'd like to throw out there that I have no problems at all with the original filter housing cap, that little clip, etc. I find oil changes on my Prius to be extremely easy, and find that the oil filter housing, along with the special tool I have make it very predictable. I've done 3 oil changes on this car now.

Of course other people have problems, as reported here, but I wanted to speak up for the silent (perhaps) majority.

Some comments on it:

That little clip
    • Yes, manual says not to think about it during an oil change.
    • Mine has never been messed with (bent, removed and reinstalled, etc.) as far as I can tell. Previous oil changes were all done at the Toyota dealer. And mine sits tightly, without wiggling in the oil filter housing cap. Vs., for example, some youtube videos that show it wiggling and not held securely.
    • Last oil change a month or so ago, I looked very carefully at the clip's location, considering interference with a tool, efficacy in holding the filter cap from unscrewing itself, etc. Concluded that it does not interfere at all with a tool, and that it will have a slight benefit in preventing the cap from walking off the housing. Pics below.

Oil filter tool
    • I don't know what exact tool real Toyota mechanics use, but I believe a deeper tool that has notches that lock into the 4 tabs (3 on one side, one on the other) on the cap is hugely important. Not saying that you could not do it with a strong hand, a strap wrench, or a tool that just grips the 14 flutes at the top. But having a tool that grips the top, and then also goes down to engage the tabs makes it rock solid.
    • The specified Toyota tool may indeed now point to a top-only 14 fluter, and yes that may work, but I think that's inferior.
    • When I got ready for my first OC, I bought a tool off eBay which looked right, made of cast aluminum, with the 14x flutes and notches for the tabs. I found it to be poorly fitting and ended spending close to an hour customizing it using my Dremel tool until it fit perfectly. I believe the main problem is that most people don't care how well it fits, so eBay still sells an ill-fitting tool. Due to the casting process, there is an angle where the sides that grip the flutes are tighter the deeper it goes, which is not good. I think I measured a diameter that was about a full mm smaller at the bottom of the tool vs. the top. An even fit top to bottom fits the cap best (cap diameter is constant top to bottom), and what I got after the sanding / tuning of my tool.
    • After tuning up the fit, the tool fits on perfectly snugly. Will sit on there without motion or falling off, and is easily removable by hand.
    • With this tool the way it is, I expect that the only thing that would stop the filter cap from coming off is if something were stuck, in which case the filter cap would disintegrate before the cap would come out of place.
    • And of course doing it yourself, you can be careful about oiling the o-ring, screwing it on until it bottoms out and using a torque wrench at 25 Nm vs. using Jiffy Lube methods.
    • I can definitely believe that if I did not have a perfectly fitting tool, that I would be similarly frustrated as so many others report on here.
    IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_2489.JPG IMG_2490.JPG IMG_2493.JPG IMG_2496.JPG

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2020-6-1_12-7-55.png

For it to bend that stifferer that much, it must be really slipping on the 14 flutes above. My 2 cents, all that extra extension of the cap, custom notches at the stiffeners, is cargo cult. IIRC correctly the Toyota tool doesn't have it. Neither does the comparable Honda tool (which I use). The latter is heavy gauge stamped steel, no problems.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In post #26 I linked the website of the Toyota dealers' official "tool shop". I even bought a Nav Update USB from them once. That tool IS the Toyota workshop tool.

moto g(7) power ?

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll dig a bit, have a part no for the Toyota socket IIRC. And recollect it was plain Jane steel. Had a cutout to facilitate pry off.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I may be dreaming, can't find it. Do see the cast aluminum one with extended sidewall, slots for stiffeners.

Anyway, no issues here using the Honda stamped steel socket, and found in the last couple of years it's also compatible with Mazda filters. Seems a pretty common size now (14 flute / 64.0 mm).

IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG
    Honda part no in above is from the '90's, out-of-date. Current part no I believe is: 07AAA-PLCA100. The ads sometime say 65.0 mm, but mine measures 64.5 mm, inside face-to-face of flutes.

The drive is 3/8" inside, 17 mm outside.

#33 Mendel Leisk, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  14. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here’s the cap removal tool I got, works fine as long as the cap has not been abused by 10 years of Jiffy Lube chimpanzees. A new cap, this tool, and 18 ft/lbs and I was good to go. Still going to do the spin on conversion, though. 61AC7114-D1E2-44E3-8544-9AB7800BBBCB.png

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exact same one I have. Worked perfectly on the PiP and continues to work perfectly on the Prime.

16. Pinoyrious

Pinoyrious Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  17. Steph1972

Steph1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks a lot for the information, exactly what I was looking for , don’t like the cheap tools ....

Mendel Leisk likes this.