1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil filter size options...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davelopment, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Davelopment

Davelopment Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I hit 30k in my 2021 Prius and am doing my first oil change on it. I went into the store the other day and provided the make and model and they asked me if I have the large (Fram S4967) or small oil filter (Fram S2878)? Wth!?!? Really? Never heard of there being 2 options for oil filters. I would obviously want the larger, but after they showed me the 2 different sizes I wasn't sure they were interchangeable. So I went home to check which one is on my car and I discovered it was the small one. Figures. They said the large one had the same threads, but upon inspection the O ring was slightly larger, not much, it appeared it would overlap the O ring on the small filter and will more than likely fit. But the canister itself was probably an inch longer and an inch larger in diameter and I am not sure it will fit. Before I purchase one to try it, does anyone know if these filters are interchangeable? Did Toyota change their oil filter mount at some point in 2021 so accommodate the larger filter?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd get one of these, the Toyota spec'd filter:

48C2E268-76BF-450E-B17C-58BC1EF85512.jpeg

They're $5~10 through dealership parts departments. I'd stick with them, avoid online purchase, just in case there are counterfeits.

Torque spec is 13 foot pounds (spin-on style). Install instruction says to oil the gasket, but I don't, because: they come with a plastic seal over the gasket, that you peel off, and underneath the gasket has a liberal application of clear grease already.

Attached Files:

3. Davelopment

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for your response. This is the tiny filter that is on the car now. If I do an internet search for 90915-YZZN1 I also get a bunch of sites that reference 90915-YZZF1 which people are saying has been replaced by 90915-YZZN1 and it no longer available at most dealerships. There is a photograph on toyotanation (they won't let me post the link) that shows the difference in size. So this is what I was wondering as the difference in size of the Fram filters was similar. It seems that Toyota has gone to a much smaller filter but that the larger filters were used previously on many makes and models. With an oil change frequency of 10k I was thinking a larger filter would be a better choice. I may gamble the $10 and see if it will fit and post an update.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The engine block bulges out just past the end of the stock filter. With the longer filter (specd for RAV4, Camry and others IIRC) it’ll be a little tight, but still doable from what I’ve read here. You can’t go wrong with stock filter though.

5. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    30K and the first oil change? I'm hoping and praying the dealer did the 10K and 20k? The F1 does not fit our Prius.

Check your local Walmart for Toyota filters....I've been surprised to see a few, including the YZZN1's, at mine and cheaper than the dealership. If they say made in China pass but if they say made in Taiwan they are OEM.

6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Ironically, my local Walmart is charging nearly $2.50 more for the Toyota filter than my dealership, don’t know if they have the drain plug gasket included or not, but even if they do they are still higher.

ColoradoBoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Davelopment

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So small correction on my original post. I was originally shown 2 different filters, but the larger filter they showed me was an incorrect filter. It was taller and larger in diameter which would not have fit. When I went back and asked to see them again they showed me 2 filters that were identical in diameter but the one was maybe 3/4" taller I purchased that one, the STP S4967XL and it installed just fine. No issues at all.

I hear what all of you are saying about the Toyota filters being cheaper, but you also need to purchase oil. My local chain auto parts store will sell you the 5 quarts of oil and "give" you a filter with it. If you just buy the oil separately you pay the same without the filter. And yeah, I know they embed the cost of the filter in the oil, but why not get the free filter since I need the oil anyway. Approx. ~$40 for 0-16 Mobil 1 and the S4967XL filter. I'm off to buy another setup for my wife's 2020 Prius. She is at 50k and this is the first oil change *I* have performed on her car too ;)

IMG_2292.jpg

ColoradoBoo likes this.