1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter Wrench

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vulcanbike, Mar 29, 2013.

1. vulcanbike

vulcanbike New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi to the forum. Am the proud new owner of a Prius v here on Vancouver Island and we are loving it it. Got the Luxury package so one step up. Have been reading all about the filter removal and woes of wrenches that don't quite fit and spin or ones that jam and won't come off and so on. Actually was quite amazed that Toyota would be using stone age filter tech. I think the last cartridge filter I saw was on a 1953 GMC truck back on the farm. Something wrong with spin on filters Mr. Toyota????? So my question is why not just epoxy a wrench onto the filter housing and just be done with it? Then its always there, just like the 9/16 inch nut was on the cap of the 53 GMC.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 64mm filter wrench fits tightly on the filter housing. One guy on here just leaves his on the filter housing. No glue that I remember.

3. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I use steel epoxy and that sucker is on there to stay, still there after a year

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it's commendable: much easier to recycle a simple paper sleeeve than a concoction of paper, rubber, steel and so on.

64mm 14 point is pretty common: I had one coming from years with Honda, works fine.