1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter Wrench

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice! Is your Taco a stick too? I have an 09 Taco 4 cylinder, 5 speed stick. With that drivetrain, It will probably outlive me lol.

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a video of the Toyota "permanent" spin on oil filter if you truly don't know what the other members are speaking of.
    Permanent is of course referring to the hardware elements not the replaceable filter media or o-rings.

Toyota Camry: Oil Change & Filter Replacement - YouTube

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As the OP, two thumbs up on the outstanding summary...spot on!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a 2005 SR5 Pre Runner. I don't think they offered a manual transmission in the US in 2005, but Im not 100% sure.

Rph74 likes this.
  5. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I skipped a "page or two" of this, but I agree with PriusCamper.

EVEN ME, with a crushed right arm, I manage to remove the oil filter by hand with no wrench....of course, I have several "babies" I have to pick up all day long...some of them with fur and tails that top 85 pounds...which has forced me to keep my arm power up to snuff..

Of course, in a few years, my daughter will probably be picking me up -- but then I only weigh 117.

If you need a wrench the filter was installed too tightly.
    kris

#65 cyberpriusII, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    PriusCamper likes this.
  6. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I ended up going cheap again on an oil filter wrench... Turns out this one is far more solid than the Walmart one and it seems to fit the filter much better. When I got under the car this morning, I noticed a single bead of oil on the bottom of the filter... I torqued the filter to 13ft/lbs and it rotated about 30 degrees more... so hopefully this addresses that bead of oil.

The filter is definitely not cross threaded and I applied oil around the gasket with my finger before installing. The only other issue I can think of is that I noticed some baked on possible rubber from the previous gasket on the surface to which the oil filter attaches. I did wipe/clean that surface but it seemed as if that stuff was hard baked on and since it was flat to the surface I just installed the filter. Next time I may try remove whatever that is so any suggestions are welcome.

Here's the filter wrench/cap I purchased

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try a plastic razor blade and acetone.

rogerthat likes this.
  8. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be an argument for using a torque wrench on the oil filter... I checked under the car again this morning and the filter was bone dry. It's possible the oil bead I noticed before was just missed cleanup but maybe more likely is that the slight extra turn with the torque wrench did the trick. I had tightened it as much as possible with my fingers originally.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I don't see the point of second-guessing the engineers, always torque them. I recently converted our 3rd gen to spin-on: the filter torque is 13 ft/lb or 3/4 turn beyond first contact. I put a silver sharpie mark at 6 o'clock, then torqued it, and the mark ended up around 3 o'clock.

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is the direction that I will take. I should be due for an oil change in February, so the metal cap, Toyota PN# 15620-40030. It is listed to fit the Scion iQ 1.0L. However, I got out my thread gauge pins and micrometer. It is a perfect metal replacement for the plastic housing found on the Gen 3. I did run into some issue getting it ordered though. Since Toyota dealers online want (require) a VIN when ordering parts, they are hesitant (won’t) order a part not listed for your VIN.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd like to do this, but my suspicion is that the replacement filter are going to be more expensive than a regular low priced oil filter and while it might be less wasteful, in the long run it will be more expensive? How much do replacement filters cost?

12. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I had already cracked one of the plastic housings when trying to change the oil and filter on mine, and was down to the extra housing I had on hand, I chose to spend the $25(12 plus 13 shipping) for the metal cap. I did find out after the fact that I also needed the cap. Either overnight from Toyota, or in stock at the local parts store. Be warned though, the aftermarket cap, Dorman PN#917-016P, is 25:99 at AutoZone, or $7.49 at Oreilly Auto Parts. But AutoZone wants to sell you 5 of them at a time. But AZ will also price match with proof of the lower price.

So $32 and I don’t have to change the housing currently on my engine, or $100 and I have to change that housing.

13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or I could buy a $3 oil filter at Walmart and throw it out every 10K miles and after 100K miles I'd of still spent way, way, less.

14. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whether I have the metal casing or the spin on adapter, the filter still has to be replaced. $27.99 gets me synthetic oil and the cartridge or spin on. Every second oil change its $34.99 to change the filter.