1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does it take the same oil filter as gen 3?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The dealership will have that info soon, if not now. Someone will have 10,000 miles soon enough.

3. tomnmeg

tomnmeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How many quarts of oil?

4.3 quarts. I just found out.

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  5. tomnmeg

tomnmeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you, Gokhan! I see it's 4.4 quarts. Looks like you change the pleated paper filter, in the oil filter. If that's the case, wonder if that pleated paper can be cleaned and re-used. Probably not, but it's just a thought.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's nothing stopping you draining and re-installing the filter. I don't see it being practical, possible or beneficial to attempt to "clean" it.

I'd consider a single re-use, maybe, if the oil change was due to time element, not miles, by a wide margin. Maybe more so once you're out of powertrain warranty.

It's really a judgement call: if the element looks near-new, it'd be fine.

FWIW, Honda maintenance schedules recommend to change the oil filter only with every second oil change.

tomnmeg likes this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely not. Air-filter elements can be cleaned to some extent by blowing compressed air from inside to outside first and then blowing air to the outside. Oil-filter elements can't be cleaned. It costs only about $4 or $5 at the dealer. The reason they have elements instead of the whole assembly (spin-on filter) these days is to reduce waste.

It's more than likely that almost all Toyota cars, including the new Prius and the next Prius to come in six years from now, use/will use the same oil-filter element and O-ring 04152-YZZA6. Almost all Toyota cars that use spin-on filters, built since the 1980s, use 90915-YZZF2, which is surprisingly priced exactly the same ($5.41 list), despite costing a lot more to make than just the element and O-ring.

Would I reuse an oil filter? Absolutely not. You spend $30,000 on a car, $30 on oil, and then an hour or more of your time to change the oil and why not have peace of mind and do a good job and pay $5 more? A clogged oil filter will open the bypass valve and recirculate unfiltered oil. Particles in the unfiltered oil will scuff the wear surfaces of the engine.

#7 Gokhan, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Valiant V, tomnmeg and krmcg like this.
  8. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you seriously that cheap???? I mean, i know plenty of prius owners are cheap, but dang.... I pay less than $6 to buy a filter at the dealer parts desk, it actually costs more for a filter at walmart.

Valiant V likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a couple of non-monetary "pros" to letting the oil filter go for a change:

1. It may be pointless to change it so soon, it could have plenty of capacity still. This is debatable, but Honda's engineers for one are firmly in that camp: recommend to change it every second time. (Of course the dealerships ignore this, push to change it every time.)

2. Oil filters are dirty, hard to recycle items.

10. tomnmeg

tomnmeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No, it's not a question of being cheap, lol, it's being more conservative when it comes to waste. A lot of filters i.e. air or water filters can be cleaned to a point where they need to be disposed and changed. There are solvents that can clean almost anything, even steam can clean oil filters pleats... BUT, there's always residue. Solvent or steam may destroy, or breakdown the filters ability to clean, too. Thought I would just throw that question out there... But your comment... " Are you seriously that cheap???" Was pretty funny especially when I was taking a sip of coffee!! GOT ME!! :)

Valiant V likes this.
  11. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, it takes the 04152-YZZA6. Stopped by the dealer today and picked up 5 quarts of oil, filter w/oring and drain plug washer in anticipation of the 3K mile change. I was going to use Mobil 1 but the cost from the dealer was only 29 bucks for everything so I actually saved a few bucks.

krmcg likes this.
  12. Sequestre

Sequestre TLV (Toyota Loyalist Veteran)

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just put 5000 miles on my 2017 Prius III. When I went to get my oil filter the dealer looked up my VIN and said my car takes the cartridge style filter so I bought it. Got home to do the oil change and found a spin on type that is the same as my Gen2 Prius. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I’m actually very happy about this although somewhat perplexed. I have found no other reference online indicating my car takes a spin on filter.