1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I did my first oil change at 700 mi. today because I wanted to get rid of any breakin debris and to switch to Mobil 1 oil. The Prius is super easy to do an oil change. I didn't jack up the car, just slid the oil catcher under and went to work. Got a Napa Gold 1394 filter at $7.16 (ouch) and a Napa metal filter wrench that worked like a dream.

Some lessons learned:
    1) move the oil pan under the filter before removing. Silly me, I thought because it is inverted, there would be no oil leakage. Wrong. Next time, put the pan under it first.
    2) forgot to get the plug gasket, so the factory one is being recycled. Drove for 25 miles and checked it twice. So far it's staying dry. Next oil change will be with a Toyota filter and I'll get the oil plug gasket, if I haven't bought an oil drain valve by then.
    3) when filling up, first place a rag around the filler, then open the cap, insert funnel. My funnel moved and I got a little spillage that had to be wiped up.

QuickSilver seems very happy. I put in 3.5 qts of Mobil 1, added a bit to the filter before installing. The filter wrench is great, much easier than the band type wrenches. I used it when installing the filter because I could tell precisely when I had given the filter 3/4 turn after gasket contact. This is one of the easiest oil changes I've ever done.

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The part number on my factory filter was 90915-10003. But I don't see that part number in the eBay offerings. I was told by one seller that the Japanese factory part number changes to a 90915-yzzf2.

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct American Toyota replacement part number? I checked my manual but couldn't find a part number for the oil filter.

Also, when one buys these eBay filters, do they include the oil drain plug gasket (per filter)?

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    NAPA has them for about $8.00.

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can Toyota oil filter part 90915-YZZA1 be substituted and used on the Prius?

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My recommendation in short:

1. K&N $10.99 (I've use these in 15,000 miles intervals)
    2. Mobil 1 $10.99 (They look identically the same so same intervals)
    3. Bosch 3311 $5.99 (Excellent material lasts 10,000 miles intervals)
    4. Purolator ONE $4.99-5.99 (I still prefer Bosch for the same price, but ONE is actually a great filter)

No FRAM (specially the regular orange ones). Very cheap paper filters.
    I also don't recommend A/C Delco. If you really want the cheapest "good" filter then the OEM is your best choice around $3.50/each (ebay bundle box) or dealer ~$5

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Oct 24 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]337762[/snapback]</div>
    yes it's interchangeable.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Feb 27 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]217645[/snapback]</div>
    The replacement filters I get from my dealer is a 90915-YZZF2.

8. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 90915-YZZA1 will work just fine as the sealing surface is identical, the A1 just has a slightly higher capacity than the 90915-YZZA2. Just to let everyone know also the part numbers have been changed. A1 is now F1 and A2 is now F2. I also sell the filters on my website for $4.00 and that includes a drain plug gasket with every one at no additional charge. There is no minimum or maximum amount to order to get that price. Although if someone were to come to me and want purchase a "large" (negotiable) amount I would be willing to deal on the price a bit! :lol: Should you decide that you want the A1/F1 instead of the standard filter, order filters for a 2002-2006 4 Cylinder Camry and you will get the taller filter.

9. LongRun

LongRun New Member

c4 has the right idea. If you can get oil th rough a stationary oil pump, that is back to the pan, even one drop it would be quite a trick. Not only does the adbv not do much, most, if not all, leak and drain back long before you come back to go for another trip.

The Prius might just benefit from synthetic oil that sticks better than conventional oil. With all the jerking around the ICE gets, that tiny bit of extra protection might be useful. There is one POE oil that is real good at hanging around but it's a bit expensive. It's Red Line. In fact the moving viscosity of most 5w-30 oils at 100C is about 10.0 and Red Lines's 5w-20 is 9.1. Red Line's 5w-20 might just make a good Prius oil. It 's viscosity at 300C, known as it HTHS rating is about the same as a good 5w-30. This is a measure of the oil's ability to protect the engine in those hot spots and under adverse conditions. With this oil, it would be easy to pump, ge great for starts and very good at high temps, too.

10. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Feb 23 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]215556[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you are using jack stands!

11. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) I went to the closest dealer to my house and asked the price of their oil filters. They wanted 5.41. Then I called the next dealer and they said 3.99. I bought the car from yet another dealer and called them. They offered to sell the filters to me for 2.99 + tax and said they would send them to me free of charge. I ordered 10 of them. The cap filter wrench works great and I bought it at the dealer too. I have found that a pair of ramps sure makes changing the oil a lot easier. I am no small guy and worming under the car so low is impossible. I found the ramps at Pep boys on sale for 19.95.

I am waiting on my 06 untill I get 10,000 miles to switch from conventional oil to synthetic. I have read and have seen first hand at the drag strip the advantages of synthetic. It is interesting to note, however, that the strip banned the use of synthetic about 5 years ago. When engines do blow up and spray oil all aver the track it's just too difficult cleaning up the synthetic. Synthetic oils, and I like Red line too, are great at providing that little extra bit of protection in extreme enviornments. In cold, the pour point of synthetic still allows a fluid rather then a gel and at hot the oil retains its ability to cling and still suspend particulates poviding better engine wear qualities. Synthetic oils, however, are so lubritious especially in a new engine that break in to a final finish is next to impossible to achieve. It's best to get that with dino oil for 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic. Because of the lubritious nature of synthetic over dino oil It should also obtain slightly better mileage and reduce wear after the break in period.

I have read here that these new engines do not require a break in period and I respectfully dissagree. The rings to cylinder fit and bearing surfaces still requires a break in period as witnessed by the car getting better mileage at 7-10,000 miles.
    -Paul R. Haller-

12. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Feb 27 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]217648[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius oil filter takes a 65mm/14 flute end-cap oil filter wrench.

The 'best' one is from NAPA. The part number is SER3253 and it runs $8.79.

The AmPro T70413, carried by Advance Auto Parts, is almost as good and, at $4.95, costs substantially less than the NAPA wrench.

AutoZone sells a metal one that's cheaper still, but the quality is poor, and it doesn't fit nearly as well as either the NAPA or AmPro end-cap wrenches (although it's better than the plastic wrenches).