1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil hits new high

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Darwood, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mgipe

mgipe New Member

Bring it on! The value of my Prius tracks the price of oil.

2. mgipe

mgipe New Member

Bring it on! The value of my Prius tracks the price of oil.

3. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mgipe @ Sep 12 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]511398[/snapback]</div>
    But it won't protect you from violence at gas lines. It might even make you a target of scorn and jealousy.
    This is a global economic problem and you are not insulated from it by your Prius.
    I'm not trying to detract from the good decision you made in buying your Prius, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
    In the words of Red Green "we're all in this togethor!"

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mgipe @ Sep 12 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]511398[/snapback]</div>
    But it won't protect you from violence at gas lines. It might even make you a target of scorn and jealousy.
    This is a global economic problem and you are not insulated from it by your Prius.
    I'm not trying to detract from the good decision you made in buying your Prius, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
    In the words of Red Green "we're all in this togethor!"

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even at $10/gallon I'd be spending around $250/month on gas...about the same as the average SUV driver already is.
    Yea, we're in it together and I'm not wishing hostility. And I'm concerned about the longer ranging impact of high gas prices for all the products we ship on trucks around the country and the premium it'll be necessary to add on those.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even at $10/gallon I'd be spending around $250/month on gas...about the same as the average SUV driver already is.
    Yea, we're in it together and I'm not wishing hostility. And I'm concerned about the longer ranging impact of high gas prices for all the products we ship on trucks around the country and the premium it'll be necessary to add on those.

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "And I'm concerned about the longer ranging impact of high gas prices for all the products we ship on trucks around the country and the premium it'll be necessary to add on those."

Me too. We ought to be rebuilding our railways in preperation for, not waiting and reacting to skyrocketing prices and limited availability.
    I have few worries about personal transportation, it's the infrastructure. Or more precisely, the inability to rebuild the infrastructure with limited availability of energy. Without affordable transportation, how do you get heavy materials moved around to rebuild? How do you get the workers needed onsite when they can't afford, or can a hold of the gas they need to get there?
    How do we operate our monstrous inefficient farm equipment, get food to market, ship junk mail all over the damn place?
    All the things we'll need post oil, NEED the current oil infrastructure to bring it to fruition. To wait till we have a real problem is folly.

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "And I'm concerned about the longer ranging impact of high gas prices for all the products we ship on trucks around the country and the premium it'll be necessary to add on those."

Me too. We ought to be rebuilding our railways in preperation for, not waiting and reacting to skyrocketing prices and limited availability.
    I have few worries about personal transportation, it's the infrastructure. Or more precisely, the inability to rebuild the infrastructure with limited availability of energy. Without affordable transportation, how do you get heavy materials moved around to rebuild? How do you get the workers needed onsite when they can't afford, or can a hold of the gas they need to get there?
    How do we operate our monstrous inefficient farm equipment, get food to market, ship junk mail all over the damn place?
    All the things we'll need post oil, NEED the current oil infrastructure to bring it to fruition. To wait till we have a real problem is folly.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]511418[/snapback]</div>
    You pinko liberal tree-hugging fear monger. There's no crisis, this is a homosexual agenda. Er, wait, wrong rant.
    Yea, there are a LOT of things we ought to be doing in preparation for the crisis, but immediacy is everything in government...and that's all of our fault.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]511418[/snapback]</div>
    You pinko liberal tree-hugging fear monger. There's no crisis, this is a homosexual agenda. Er, wait, wrong rant.
    Yea, there are a LOT of things we ought to be doing in preparation for the crisis, but immediacy is everything in government...and that's all of our fault.

11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't we manufacture some emergency need to prepare earlier than the actual point of crises? Something like "OPEC countries are supporting terrorism, so we have to stop buying their oil"?

12. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't we manufacture some emergency need to prepare earlier than the actual point of crises? Something like "OPEC countries are supporting terrorism, so we have to stop buying their oil"?

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]511432[/snapback]</div>
    No, nobody would believe a whopper that far fetched! :rolleyes:

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]511432[/snapback]</div>
    No, nobody would believe a whopper that far fetched! :rolleyes:

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right though, it IS all of our faults. No one wants to vote for a realist that demands sacrifice from the public. We much prefer to have smoke blown up our collective A**es.

16. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right though, it IS all of our faults. No one wants to vote for a realist that demands sacrifice from the public. We much prefer to have smoke blown up our collective A**es.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 07:45 AM) [snapback]511305[/snapback]</div>
    This statement is seriously flawed. Market forces argument is only valid in an open market free of subsidies and other outside influences. Your assumption that "nothing motivates like price..." is only your personal perspective. Many have stated on this board over the years that other motivations played a more important role in their purchase than price. Certainly one could get a fine car for half the price of the prius.

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 07:45 AM) [snapback]511305[/snapback]</div>
    This statement is seriously flawed. Market forces argument is only valid in an open market free of subsidies and other outside influences. Your assumption that "nothing motivates like price..." is only your personal perspective. Many have stated on this board over the years that other motivations played a more important role in their purchase than price. Certainly one could get a fine car for half the price of the prius.

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 07:59 AM) [snapback]511324[/snapback]</div>
    Again, your personal opinion does not fit with many posts on this board. You make a basic and very untrue assumption about 'people' in that they look at life through your frame of reference, which is necessarily very incorrect. If it were true, then everyone would see the world through MY eyes, and we would all live happily ever after. True, Toyota has a hit. False, people are motivated by their purses and not other factors like being better for the environment. Where I live, the greater community is motivated by many factors other than money. For that matter, apparently many in the nation voted for junior even though it was a vote against their best financial interests, or those of their heirs. It may serve you well to expand your frame of reference beyond your comfort zone.

20. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 07:59 AM) [snapback]511324[/snapback]</div>
    Again, your personal opinion does not fit with many posts on this board. You make a basic and very untrue assumption about 'people' in that they look at life through your frame of reference, which is necessarily very incorrect. If it were true, then everyone would see the world through MY eyes, and we would all live happily ever after. True, Toyota has a hit. False, people are motivated by their purses and not other factors like being better for the environment. Where I live, the greater community is motivated by many factors other than money. For that matter, apparently many in the nation voted for junior even though it was a vote against their best financial interests, or those of their heirs. It may serve you well to expand your frame of reference beyond your comfort zone.