1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil hits new high

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Darwood, Sep 12, 2007.

1. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Sep 12 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]511444[/snapback]</div>
    If you think FHOP posters are representative of the "average joe" then maybe it is you who needs to expand your frame of reference. This board is dominated by far left thinkers compared to the average person, and I don't think "most" people really give a rats nice person whether the Prius is clean or not, just whether it reduces their fuel costs. Sure there is the fringe that is motivated by other reasons, but it is exactly that, the fringe. Which is where most posters on FHOP are, too. "Most" people aren't nearly as educated, informed, or concerned about environmental issues as those here. And I would bet that if a vehicle was produced that delivered 150 to 200 miles per gallon, but was a big polluter, "most" of the people in your area would switch as soon as they could. Human Nature, it's called.

2. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Sep 12 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]511444[/snapback]</div>
    If you think FHOP posters are representative of the "average joe" then maybe it is you who needs to expand your frame of reference. This board is dominated by far left thinkers compared to the average person, and I don't think "most" people really give a rats nice person whether the Prius is clean or not, just whether it reduces their fuel costs. Sure there is the fringe that is motivated by other reasons, but it is exactly that, the fringe. Which is where most posters on FHOP are, too. "Most" people aren't nearly as educated, informed, or concerned about environmental issues as those here. And I would bet that if a vehicle was produced that delivered 150 to 200 miles per gallon, but was a big polluter, "most" of the people in your area would switch as soon as they could. Human Nature, it's called.

3. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't get my Prius for less pollution OR less money at the pump.
    I paid more than I usually advocate for car purchases in order to reduce my consumption of a finite resource. As soon as the Volt (or something like it) is available, I'm all over it. I don't want my money shipped overseas to countries that wish us harm. Just as I am pissed at all the made in China toys in my basement that relatives keep buying for my kids.

Nor do I agree that PC is "Dominated by far left liberals". They do have a majority, but the poster's who are loudest tend to be at the far right AND left ends of the spectrums. The majority is actually pretty centrist, just not so vocal. We've actually had polls on this and found posters to range pretty far and wide. Many like me, despise the categoration of Lib v. Cons.

Anyways, I hope this thread does not sway off into environment, AGW, and Al Gore. I am far more interested in the discussion about the fact that crude hit an ALL TIME HIGH. And we're still pushing Tundra's and beheamoth's on the public without much discussion of the wisdom of continuing the transportation status quo.

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't get my Prius for less pollution OR less money at the pump.
    I paid more than I usually advocate for car purchases in order to reduce my consumption of a finite resource. As soon as the Volt (or something like it) is available, I'm all over it. I don't want my money shipped overseas to countries that wish us harm. Just as I am pissed at all the made in China toys in my basement that relatives keep buying for my kids.

Nor do I agree that PC is "Dominated by far left liberals". They do have a majority, but the poster's who are loudest tend to be at the far right AND left ends of the spectrums. The majority is actually pretty centrist, just not so vocal. We've actually had polls on this and found posters to range pretty far and wide. Many like me, despise the categoration of Lib v. Cons.

Anyways, I hope this thread does not sway off into environment, AGW, and Al Gore. I am far more interested in the discussion about the fact that crude hit an ALL TIME HIGH. And we're still pushing Tundra's and beheamoth's on the public without much discussion of the wisdom of continuing the transportation status quo.

5. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]511465[/snapback]</div>
    In Canada, Global Warming/Environment Issues are regularly our number one or two concerns in nationwide, public opinion polls. Now the economy has been good for long time which helps a lot to get people thinking beyond their immediate financial needs, but I still find this encouraging. I think the Prius is largely a hit because the majority of buyers do want to help protect the environment and saving money on gas is just seen as a bonus - generally speaking of course. I think there is awareness out there that there is a problem and when people are given clear ways to become part of the solution, people are often eager to get on board. When PHEVs and EVs come to market, I'm sure they will do well and find a significant market. Still, much more needs to be done to raise awareness.

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 12 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]511465[/snapback]</div>
    In Canada, Global Warming/Environment Issues are regularly our number one or two concerns in nationwide, public opinion polls. Now the economy has been good for long time which helps a lot to get people thinking beyond their immediate financial needs, but I still find this encouraging. I think the Prius is largely a hit because the majority of buyers do want to help protect the environment and saving money on gas is just seen as a bonus - generally speaking of course. I think there is awareness out there that there is a problem and when people are given clear ways to become part of the solution, people are often eager to get on board. When PHEVs and EVs come to market, I'm sure they will do well and find a significant market. Still, much more needs to be done to raise awareness.

7. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]511478[/snapback]</div>
    I also think the members of PC are more center thinking than the average poster in FHOP. As for the transportation status qou, there has to be a demand for cleaner, more efficient vehicles before they will be produced. This is because the manufacturer's think it is cheaper to build dirty, inefficient vehicles. Environmental concerns helped create that demand and Toyota is trying to meet it with the Prius. As it succeeds others will try to jump in too. But I believe the big demand will come when the price of gasoline rises to the point that it is difficult for the middle class to deal with. As the price of oil (and more specifically, gasoline) goes up, so does interest in having options to large, low mileage vehicles. I don't know where that price point is for most though. For me, we are already past it.

8. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]511478[/snapback]</div>
    I also think the members of PC are more center thinking than the average poster in FHOP. As for the transportation status qou, there has to be a demand for cleaner, more efficient vehicles before they will be produced. This is because the manufacturer's think it is cheaper to build dirty, inefficient vehicles. Environmental concerns helped create that demand and Toyota is trying to meet it with the Prius. As it succeeds others will try to jump in too. But I believe the big demand will come when the price of gasoline rises to the point that it is difficult for the middle class to deal with. As the price of oil (and more specifically, gasoline) goes up, so does interest in having options to large, low mileage vehicles. I don't know where that price point is for most though. For me, we are already past it.

9. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am a Republican and proud of it! I look at most subjects with as open a mind as possible and ready to learn. Unfortunately people have become jaded by the sad state of our news media/entertainment industry and political system. Most people can't see past the end of their nose, so if you wish to impress them, the situation or message must hit them in the sniffer. My sister got rid of her SUV, that I lobbied against because of fuel prices and such when she got it, for an almost new Cobalt. People are still switching to autos from SUVs. Sadly there is a lack of product on the market in the fuel efficent SUV/Truck segment that current drivers of gas pigs can switch to.

10. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am a Republican and proud of it! I look at most subjects with as open a mind as possible and ready to learn. Unfortunately people have become jaded by the sad state of our news media/entertainment industry and political system. Most people can't see past the end of their nose, so if you wish to impress them, the situation or message must hit them in the sniffer. My sister got rid of her SUV, that I lobbied against because of fuel prices and such when she got it, for an almost new Cobalt. People are still switching to autos from SUVs. Sadly there is a lack of product on the market in the fuel efficent SUV/Truck segment that current drivers of gas pigs can switch to.

11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "I also think the members of PC are more center thinking than the average poster in FHOP."
    Exactly.

"This is because the manufacturer's think it is cheaper to build dirty, inefficient vehicles."
    It usually is. Although I think "more profitable" is the better term here. US makers have never been able to compete with foreign compacts, so they naturally have focused on (and lobbied in defense of) the truck/SUV market. It worked for a while, but they are still trying to hanfg on to that sinking ship.

You're right that it comes down to the consumers demanding it, which we see to some point already, but not enough. Problem is, many consumers just don't care about anything farther than their own happiness past today. Any many more are too easily swayed by marketing into poor purchasing decisions.

I too, think "we are already past it". But that's why I posted that it seems no one even knows or cares that crude prices are at an all time high and still climbing.

12. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "I also think the members of PC are more center thinking than the average poster in FHOP."
    Exactly.

"This is because the manufacturer's think it is cheaper to build dirty, inefficient vehicles."
    It usually is. Although I think "more profitable" is the better term here. US makers have never been able to compete with foreign compacts, so they naturally have focused on (and lobbied in defense of) the truck/SUV market. It worked for a while, but they are still trying to hanfg on to that sinking ship.

You're right that it comes down to the consumers demanding it, which we see to some point already, but not enough. Problem is, many consumers just don't care about anything farther than their own happiness past today. Any many more are too easily swayed by marketing into poor purchasing decisions.

I too, think "we are already past it". But that's why I posted that it seems no one even knows or cares that crude prices are at an all time high and still climbing.

13. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]511478[/snapback]</div>
    That was my big reason for buying a Prius.

I find it interesting that people complain about Exxon making big bucks, but do you realize they are the 12th largest producer of oil? Who are the other 11? State run oil companies. People don't complain about the Saudis, Venezuela or Russia making money hand over fist.

14. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 12 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]511478[/snapback]</div>
    That was my big reason for buying a Prius.

I find it interesting that people complain about Exxon making big bucks, but do you realize they are the 12th largest producer of oil? Who are the other 11? State run oil companies. People don't complain about the Saudis, Venezuela or Russia making money hand over fist.

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Sep 12 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]511568[/snapback]</div>
    US legislators can't too much about those entities. Exxon is in trouble really, because more and more oil is getting nationalized. Many of the fields that aren't are in decline. Exxon et al are facing a tough situation. This doesn't really have a lot to do with the price of oil, but there it is. What's a barrel trading at today? What is the price of sour crude doing compared to sweet?

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Sep 12 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]511568[/snapback]</div>
    US legislators can't too much about those entities. Exxon is in trouble really, because more and more oil is getting nationalized. Many of the fields that aren't are in decline. Exxon et al are facing a tough situation. This doesn't really have a lot to do with the price of oil, but there it is. What's a barrel trading at today? What is the price of sour crude doing compared to sweet?

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm going to weigh in but might not be back anytime soon to follow up.

This kind of report and the public outcry it will cause makes me point out that when it comes to gasoline and oil, the American public on average is more concerned with Supply than with Demand.

In this case, the higher cost is caused by a drop in supply. More people will be screaming to increase the supply rather than addressing how they can decrease their own demand.

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm going to weigh in but might not be back anytime soon to follow up.

This kind of report and the public outcry it will cause makes me point out that when it comes to gasoline and oil, the American public on average is more concerned with Supply than with Demand.

In this case, the higher cost is caused by a drop in supply. More people will be screaming to increase the supply rather than addressing how they can decrease their own demand.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 12 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]511649[/snapback]</div>
    The true mark of an addict. (the public as a whole)
    That, and lying about wether we have a problem. We're only starting to admit we have a problem. Do we wait till we're forced to go cold turkey? Or do we ramp it down?

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ 2007 09 14 08:04) [snapback]512500[/snapback]</div>
    A few days in Club Rehab should make the feeling go away. Seems to work for everybody else. <_<