1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Industry 'peddling misinformation' about electric vehicles

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Jun 29, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To repeat, are you okay with building a coal fired plant in someone else's backyard?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have no problem with supercritical and ultra-supercritical coal plants. Meanwhile continue development and deployment of wind, solar, and renewable energy sources. Protest tourism is not helping.

Bob Wilson

orenji likes this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just as long as it is not in my backyard. Somebody else's backyard is okay. Right?

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually it is “somebody else’s backyard” problem. Let them have the freedom to run the experiment. I would suggest supercritical coal plants are operationally cheaper to run.

In the meanwhile continue development and deployment of wind, solar, and even future technology nuclear plants.

So how far would you go into someone else’s backyard:
    • Tsk tsk Tweet?
    • Protest tourism?
    • Send money to opposition?
    • Embargo?
    • Divesture of investments?
    • Sanctions?
    • Invade?
    • Snark post in PriusChat?
    Bob Wilson

#24 bwilson4web, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    vinnie97 and bisco like this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tesla's Factory is in someone's back yard!

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are referring to what I call the PITBY syndrome: Put It In Their Backyard.
    When I lived in South Jersey, that area got all the nuke plants, all the landfills, all the Superfund sites, and coal plants and all the SNL jokes about haz waste dump sites. You will note the jokes have stopped several decades ago, and I helped.

orenji and bwilson4web like this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As @wjtracy shows by example the folks who live in their backyard have a responsibility to clean up their own.

Bob Wilson

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or live in North Jersey :)

9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, that is true. Some people are relatively uneducated and don't have the educational background or flexibility for retraining in a new, emerging industry. So yes, putting food on the table trumps the long term affects of health issues as a result of working in and around an unhealthy industry, say for instance fossil fuels.
    Yes, this is the classic "I support the industry but not in my backyard" Yes, you want cheaper sources of energy for yourself regardless if it harms someone else's backyard or long term damage to the environment.

To be clear, I am opposed to coal energy in anyone's backyard. If the industry isn't dead, it is on life support. The only reason it still exists is to keep politicians in power and I include Sen Joe Manchin (D) WV in that group.

The current administration has passed regulations in an attempt to kill wind power. Fortunately, California is ignoring the new regulations. I have a wind farm in my backyard and they are a welcome neighbor. Over half of my neighbors have PV systems and I therefore have solar in my backyard with no problems. The future of nuclear power is murky at this time and it is unknown whether the future is viable, There are many problems with it, not the least of which is disposal of spent fuel.

"Snark" is pejorative word and its use should be carefully considered. Depending on your point of view, "snark" could be irony, humor, counterpoint or sarcasm. The danger is to fall into the trap of - whatever I don't agree with is "snark". Whatever I do agree with is witty. The book, I'm Okay, You're Okay, addressees the issue from a professional academic's point of view.

It is called NIMBY. I congratulate you on stopping all the nuke plants, all the landfills, all the Superfund sites, and coal plants and all the SNL jokes about haz waste dump sites in your backyard. I hope you reciprocate by protesting all those sites in other people's backyard to avoid looking like a hypocrite.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normally I can mostly defend my own backyard, and I only protest projects I do not agree with, which may be very different to your opinions. My most recent campaign was to stop Hybrid fees in Virginia. Yes I have tried to help prevent Hybrid fees in other states too.

But I am OK with modest EV fees as that is alternate fuel, so it is not discrimination to handle that differently.

#30 wjtracy, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I would argue it is unfair, and discriminatory.
    All vehicles should be charged road fees based on weight and miles driven. If that isn’t done, then all vehicles should be charged based on the gasoline they consume. This isn’t fair to the gas guzzlers though.
    Charging one type of vehicle a flat fee, and another on gas consumed, and some (in some states) on both flat fee and gas consumed is, by definition discriminatory.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all government policies discriminate. it just depends on whose ox is being gored.

padroo likes this.
  13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All vehicle fees are a bunch of BS. California is the worst offender.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree that "all" vehicle fees are BS. We need to pay for maintaining our roads, and the fairest way to do that, imo, are user fees.
    The fees that exist are poorly thought out, but fees need to be applied.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's what we pay taxes for. These vehicle fees are just an easy grab by Caifornia. You know that some states the registration fee is less then $30. It's crazy that on a 26 year old car I have to pay $150.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    California is in the midst of this debate right now and is trying to figure out what is fair and equitable. Up until last year California charged at the pump for road maintenance fees. Consequently gas guzzlers paid more in road maintenance fees than fuel efficient cars regardless of how much damage they did to roads in terms of vehicle weight and miles driven. Diesel trucks taxes were heavily subsidized by the State and BEVs got a free ride.

State legislators realized this was inequitable and tried to fix it. The legislators wrestled with the following;
    • Charge taxes by miles driven. Problem is how do you differentiate between miles driven in State and out of State? The only way to do that is with a GPS tracking device and that would probably not hold up in Court as an invasion of privacy.
    • Charge taxes by miles driven. How do you account for cars from out of State who use California road system?
    • Charge by vehicle weight. How do you account for vehicles who pull trailers, boats, and travel trailers?
    What they decided to do is up the tax rate at the pump for road maintenance, disregarding miles driven, gas guzzlers, and vehicle weight (gasoline is well over $4/gal in urban locations for 87 octane). Charge BEVs an additional flat annual tax ranging from about $200 to $400 depending on vehicle cost. I have problems with this system for the following reasons:
    • I have no problem with paying my fair share of taxes for road maintenance for my BEV. Although my car will be charged the equivalent of about 15K to 18K miles per year if charged at the gas pump even though I drive less than 12K miles per year. But BEVs are heavier than the average ICE car and may cause more maintenance for roads. Therefore I am okay with my fee.
    • Hybrids, including plug ins, are not penalized even though they may purchase very little gasoline. They do not pay the EV supplement. I am totally opposed to this and I am working to have that provision imposed more equitably. Hybrids need to pay too (and I own a Prius plug-in!)
    • The issue of the trucking industry remains unresolved.
    So as @bisco says, it depends on whose ox is being gored. There was an initiative last June, sponsored by the oil industry, to repeal the new taxes and it was soundly defeated by double digits. I know the California law will continue to be refined in the years ahead by the State Legislature. It is a good start but needs to be revisited as new data is gathered.

As far as @orenji protestation to the cost of vehicle registration, he enjoys the high wages he earns in California relative to other States, I guess he feels that State employees shouldn't earn high wages too. If @orenji wants to pay $30 registration fee for a 26 y.o. car, he might consider moving to Mississippi. BTW, the minimum wage in California is going to be raised incrementally to $15/hr. over the next couple of years.

#36 el Crucero, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So who is paying the increased min wage? Actually is states in the mid west that have a low registration fee.

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, way too broad a brush.
    Minnesota registration fees are outrageous. I’m not sure how they compare to CA, they are far higher than our neighbors.

I don’t like paying for road maintenance out of taxes. It makes it extremely regressive. Those that use the roads the least (the poor), end up paying the largest fraction of their income on it.
    In the case of road maintenance, user fees seem the most equitable way.

@el Crucero, I appreciate the complexities, but aren’t we letting perfect be the enemy of ‘better than what we have now’?
    For out of state visitors to the state, a user fee for campgrounds, hotels, etc could be added to make up for the loss. This would be a very small fee only levied to out of state visitors.
    The weight difference between an EV and ICE version of the same size car is almost inconsequential to road damage.
    The trailers is a great point. I’m not sure of the best way to handle that.

I am Not ok paying double or triple what an ICE driver would. The disconnect of miles driven with the flat fee is a problem. One of our cars drives about 6000 miles a year. The other about 12,000.
    These are the cases where a flat fee fails miserably.

Trollbait likes this.
  19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Totally agree these kinds of taxes are regressive. In the broader picture, there are three principle types of taxes to fund State and local governance - sales tax, income tax, and property tax. Sales tax (gas taxes are a type of sales tax) are regressive, while income tax and property tax are progressive. I prefer the Oregon model for taxation (as well as a few other States) - no sales tax but higher property and income tax.

Agree! I am working on a committee right now (unrelated to transportation or energy) to develop rules and regulations for a particular project. A majority of the members on that committee are attempting to write regulations that might cover every conceivable possibility. They are trying to thread the needle with perfection. I know this is going to come as a surprise to you, but I am the lone voice of dissent! ;) My position is that the rules and regulations should be minimal, simple, unequivocal, and easy to enforce. I think that the rules and regulations should be simple to start and subject to modification when and if an edge case should develop. Complexity is the enemy of practicality. I have a feeling I am going to lose on this (but I also have a feeling that once legal council takes a look at the proposal, they will determine it is unenforceable and tell us to start over!)

I don't disagree with any of your points. The State of California is leading the way for model legislation on a number of important issues that will affect our future. Like Tesla, which is disrupting the traditional automotive technology, production, and sales model, California, as a ground breaking leader, will make many mistakes along the way and screw it up before they get it right. It is a work in progress.

I am going to say something very radical now that will be sure to rile up most readers (but that has never stopped me before :cautious: ), I think Tesla's U.I. on board computer system (still very much in its infancy) holds great promise for the auto industry in resolving California's road maintenance accountability issue. The computer will be able to calculate how many miles you drive in-State (or any other Sate for that matter), apply a vehicle weight algorithm, and charge a monthly fee to your State 'on file' credit card for use and be done with it. Remove all gas tax at the pump! (Don't pay your credit card? your car won't start!) This concept can be taken further to apply an algorithm for speeding and tailgating and issue citations for infractions. (Don't pay your citation? your car won't start!) I realize many people will complain about loss of privacy and 'big brother' but when we live in an Internet age, and hacking our systems by foreign powers and special interest groups is common place, we no longer have an expectation of privacy anywhere. (For any Russian, oil industry, or legacy automaker hackers who might be reading this, "po'shyol 'na hui" ) So yeah, I'm okay with a little government intrusion into my life as long as it improves the health, safety, and welfare for everyone.

Zythryn likes this.
  20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My policy is same as Toyota policy (last time I heard them voice it) that car fees should be "technology neutral" so if Car-A and Car-B are both using gasoline, it should be immaterial how they get better MPG. If a state wants to extra tax all cars over 25 MPG, fine, but do not say Hybrids are discriminated against and have to pay extra tax (some hybrids are below 25 MPG).

Toyota suggested (in the past) modest fee for Plug-ins since they are escaping the pump tax.

Yes we can go to miles driven formula. No problem. I do not like that, but that is not an unfair system that says whoever drives a hybrids is singled out for higher tax rate becuase somebody in politics has an anti-hybrid bug up their butt.

#40 wjtracy, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Trollbait likes this.