Oil leak at timing chain tensioner

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by geoffdaddy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. geoffdaddy

geoffdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all... I have a 2012 Prius V that I think has developed a leak from the timing chain tensioner. It's not a major leak by any stretch, but it's enough that it will use about half a quart between the usual scheduled oil changes. It's a cheap part, but I'm concerned that it might not be possible to re-seat the tensioner once removed without having the timing chain cover off. Has anyone else done this before without opening the engine up?

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tensioner is spring loaded. It will extend fully when opened. If you really want to seal the leak, pull the valve cover, align the top timing marks. Then you can remove the tensioner, close it back up and lock it, replace the gasket, and reinstall it. To unlock it, you would push the exhaust side guide toward the firewall of the car and let it go. The spring will push it back out. Oil pressure will do the rest.

In my Prius service history, the previous owner had that issue. He was quoted $570 to repair it. He declined that repair.

3. rjparker

rjparker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    #3 rjparker, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most people ignore it unless they have ocd.
    How do you determine if all of the disappearing oil is from one problem?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sidewalk Supervisor

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on the car?

Have you seen the leakage for yourself, oil/dirt down the right side of the engine? Is the engine underpanel all oily, and/or the ground where you park?

Just speculating, I'm thinking may have some minor leakage from the timing chain cover (or not?), but the oil loss is mostly due to the engine burning oil.

So is that 1/2 quart in 10K miles (the miles criteria for oil change in the US)? That is pretty trivial amount, pretty much normal for higher mileage vehicle.