1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil leak in timing cover... how to fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Babryans, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Babryans

Babryans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello,
    I have a 2007 Prius with 206,000 miles on it, bought used in December 2013 with no warranty at 165K miles. Regular oil changes.

Just hoping to get some insight on a DIY fix for a leaking timing cover. I took the car into the repair shop about a month ago asking them to investigate a revving noise when I would accelerate and also the drop in oil. I had been topping it off on a very regular basis-- more than what was usual, so of course I was starting to worry.

Long story short, the revving noise turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. I had the wheel bearing fixed for about $500. They also investigated the engine and found that the timing cover was also leaking oil. They said it didn't need to be replaced right away, but to keep an eye on it and that I would probably want to fix it in the next couple of months. If I look down into the engine compartment, I can see a little bit of oil at the bottom. I've fixed the blower motor and neutral safety switch on my previous Saab on my own (which was no easy task), so I have SOME experience with DIY car repair.

Other information:
    My A/C also stopped blowing cold air last Spring. I tried to recharge it once and it did start blowing cold air, but after a week it was blowing hot again. I suspect a slow leak. I have not had the A/C diagnosed yet, but plan to soon. I did purchase new Iridium spark plugs and a new PCV valve as well, but have not installed these. I've noticed my gas mileage has fallen to 36 MPG (in 70 degree F weather with no air on). I'm not sure if the oil leak and A/C issues are related and if my drop in MPG has anything to do with this.

My dad is convinced we can fix the timing cover leak on our own. I'm wondering if anyone has fixed a leaking timing cover themselves? If so, could you provide me with directions on how to go about doing this? Pictures are also good...I'm a visual learner. The dealer quoted me $810 which from what I've researched is not an unfair price. I understand there is a good amount of work, but if I could save some money and fix it myself, I'd be even happier :) Your advice is much appreciated.