1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Leaking and Burning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Andrew19, May 3, 2022.

1. Andrew19

Andrew19 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So here’s my messy situation.

4 months ago I bought a 2010 Prius (had about 195k miles).

About 2 months ago, I went and got an oil change because I saw warning lights come up saying my oil was low.

Then, a few days ago I got the same warning lights saying the oil was low. So I knew something was off because oil shouldn’t be consumed in less than 2 months.

So I call the oil change place and they tell me to bring it in and take a look at it. Turns out it’s leaking and burning oil.

Then I take it to a mechanic and he says it’s a common problem with these cars, especially with high mileage like mine (198k miles). He then says there’s nothing he can do, and I’d have to just get an oil change very frequently when it runs low.

I don’t know what to do. I’d love to get this problem fixed but I don’t know if there’s anything that can be done.

I’m going to take it to another shop tomorrow to see what they have to say about it, and maybe I’ll take it to a few other shops for other opinions.

has anyone else experienced an issue like this or know what to do in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What you do is monitor how much oil is being burned. Reset your trip odometer every time you ADD oil to the full mark. See how long you can drive before you need to ADD more. The 2 marks in between the oil dipstick (low and full mark) is about 1.5 quarts. So you have to gauge how much oil you need to add.

So if I were you, I would check my oil level after driving 1000 miles. Then see how much oil I need to add. Then you'll have a good idea when you'll need to add oil. Also remember the faster you drive, the more oil this car will burn. Check your oil level accordingly.

Also your mechanic didn't tell you to simply add oil when you are low, he is suggesting every time it get low, you need to get an oil change. What a horrible mechanic!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try this